S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Nathan_

Lightbulb -Rink turn-on's and turn-offs?

Turn off

I hate dirty rinks & bad customer service

Turn On
I love clean rinks

Last edited by Nathan_; June 29th, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #2
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

Turn offs : All the little kids that get on the floor during the jam/shuffle skate and screw us all up!

Turn on's : Those same kids have moms sitting on the benches. Anyone up for some Milf and Cookies ???
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Ignatz
Brick House

Turn-ons: the management at my rink tries very, very hard to do it right. They listen to their customers.

Only turn-off: need more and stricter floorguards, and better floor cleanup before each session
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #4
Dennis Lauer

Default Rink Turn Ons and Offs

Clean Rinks

Strict but fair floor guards that do their job, not just skate around

Proper clean up before and during sessions

Music fit to skate to

Sessions that offer a variety of special skate opportunities(couples skates, trio skates, reverse skates, backwards skates, etc.)

Good Customer Service

The practice of these things in a rink are TURN ONS! Those rinks that fail to practice these things are TURN OFFS!

If you agree with these things, ask yourself does your rink offer all of these things? If it does where are you skating I want to go there.

Of the rinks I have skated in the last few years it is good to find two or possibly three things out of this list of six items that are common practice.

Dennis Lauer
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #5
Mystic
SWM So Cal

Turn Offs: No theme nights. Not everybody wants to hear R&B and Hip Hop every F-ing night.

Turn Ons: Clean smooth floor and a good music mix.

www.socalskatingreviews.com
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #6
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Not everybody wants to hear R&B and Hip Hop every F-ing night.
I echo that sentiment!

When we asked, we got "That's what they want to hear!" (of the typical age group of the kids at the session we skate).

My question...

If you don't play it, how do you know if they'll like it or not?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm kind of glad I like a bit of everything...my kids know "what's good" vs. "what's good to skate to". Even my 4 yr. old has requested some Grandmaster Flash, Whodini or Sugarhill Gang on occassion! LOL (Shocked the heck outta the one good guard/DJ we have, too - the first time she did hehe)

But...if you don't play it...they'll never know if they like it...so take a chance! If any given song bombs (half - or more - of the skaters leave the floor), move on to another song until you find what the kids DO like and at least mix it up a little bit.

At "my" rink, we've now heard everything from "December, 1963: Oh What a Night" to Flo Rida's "Right Round"...a good mix of good songs (some more for speed, some more for jam) thanks to that one AWESOME DJ we have.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #7
SouthPaw

Default Pour moi

Turn ons: -a few really good skaters practicing to watch and/or join in with.
-good mix of music (both fast and slow)
- nice, big floor (pleeeenty of room so that the baby in front of you
falling won't be too difficult to get around )
-guards keeping the patrons in line

Turn offs: -BOUNCE MUSIC
(That's the main one for regular skating. The following are more
when I'm working the floor.)
-too many people that can't skate and are just there to annoy the
hell out of me
-people that get offended when you tell them the rules that they
are blatantly ignoring
-GUM CHEWING I can't tell you how many people chew
gum at my rink, and it's nearly impossible to enforce cause
you know they've got a whole sack of gum in their freaking
pockets and/or purses

There are more, but now I'm so frustrated at those that I can't think anymore lol. That's a pretty good bit of them though.
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #8
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
Turn offs: -BOUNCE MUSIC
I'm a Bouce Shuffle Skater that tries to Jam skate LOL I love bouce music, are you talking all the 80's greats like planet rock, lookout weekend, do it, electricity, etc? I Love that music !
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #9
SouthPaw

Exclamation uhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheEdge View Post
I'm a Bouce Shuffle Skater that tries to Jam skate LOL I love bouce music, are you talking all the 80's greats like planet rock, lookout weekend, do it, electricity, etc? I Love that music !
Oh no, no no no no no. If all of those other ones are like Planet Rock, then those are fine Lol Bounce - Commonly known as "that beat." A very popular style of music that apparently originated around here but i don't know. Mostly remixes of R&B/rap songs, it's all very fast...and I'm not even really sure how to describe it. lol
This is a fairly good idea of what I'm talking about, and what the people like to do("dance") to it. WARNING: View at your eyes' and ears' own risk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9weK9_h7h4M

It makes me frown a lot
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #10
eighteen_psi
Big Van Vaypor

Turn On: Coated wood floor
Turn Off: That horrible plastic tile crap

Turn On: Staff who are skaters and actually understand rink dynamics, safety and etiquette
Turn Off: Staff on my case for moving faster than a crawl, whilst allowing wrong direction, carrying kids, picture taking etc.
eighteen_psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:27 PM   #11
Nathan_

This is great to hear guys.. Keep it coming, this is useful !
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:44 PM   #12
skaterdog

I like a rink with some ambience...atmosphere.

My home rink is about three blocks from my house. It has an original wooden rotunda floor from 60 years ago. You see old married folks who met there when they were teens. Some of the signs are obviously from the 1950s. I like the feel of an old rink.

Crowd control is the big thing for an enjoyable session. Ours is slipping.

10-12 years ago there would be crowds lined up outside the building on Friday nights to get in. Some nights they couldn't let anymore people in. And yet the floor was well controlled and even in a wall to wall session you could find your own space. It was fun. A lot of energy from those big crowds back then.

Now there are small crowds but no floor guards. It's harder to skate because kids go the wrong way, throw stuff, play tag etc.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:35 AM   #13
Dennis Lauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
I like a rink with some ambience...atmosphere.

My home rink is about three blocks from my house. It has an original wooden rotunda floor from 60 years ago. You see old married folks who met there when they were teens. Some of the signs are obviously from the 1950s. I like the feel of an old rink.

Crowd control is the big thing for an enjoyable session. Ours is slipping.

10-12 years ago there would be crowds lined up outside the building on Friday nights to get in. Some nights they couldn't let anymore people in. And yet the floor was well controlled and even in a wall to wall session you could find your own space. It was fun. A lot of energy from those big crowds back then.

Now there are small crowds but no floor guards. It's harder to skate because kids go the wrong way, throw stuff, play tag etc.
I remember rinks like you describe. My wife and I met in a skating rink similar to the one you describe. I agree with you about the ambiance of the old style rinks. All the shiny new rink buildings just don't seem to hold a candle compared to these relics of past glory.

The lines of people waiting to enter the skating rink are very familiar to me, sadly I haven't seen those kind of lines over the last 5 years. The crowd control and packed sessions you describe I remember also. No matter how big the crowd you always seemed to be able to find a spot to skate in. This was possible because of excellent crowd control and skaters that were concerned about each others enjoyment.

You're right there are much smaller crowds with no floor guards or guards that only skate around and don't seem concerned about doing their job properly. Also it is harder to skate in the smaller unregulated crowds because of the rules not being enforced.

Does it seem to you that the skill level of the average skater you see today has gotten much lower!? It used to be that you saw many good skaters and watching them skate made many people want to learn to be better skaters. Todays sessions seem to emphasize skating round and round and forwards skating only.

The modern methods of running sessions seems to have taken much of the joy out of skating. Could this be the reason that sessions seem to be getting smaller and smaller.

Dennis Lauer
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Turn off:

Skating rinks who will not allow you to bring your skates into their skating rink in skate bags and who do not run their air conditioner the full session so that you will buy sodas from their concession stand.

Turn On:
SmartWater that comes in bottles small enough for me to freeze and lodge them inside my skate boots so I will have a cool refreshing drink as I look at the long lines at the concession stand.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM   #15
Sk8n Miles

Turn ons:
* A good DJ - keeps me on the floor and I don't have to bring my MP3 player
* A DJ who will let the beat/instrumental of a good song continue play for a little bit then, mixing in the next song.
* Good floor guards who keep the crowds following the rules and helps new skaters.
* A clean rink

Turn off:
* A kid floor guard who doubles as the DJ and has to run/skate back to the booth to play the next song.
* When the DJ/floor guard/rink employee runs ads between each song.
* Filthy bathrooms
* No air conditioning
* When rink management allows people/kids to bring toys, cell phones, etc. on the floor.
Sk8n Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM   #16
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Turn off:

Skating rinks who will not allow you to bring your skates into their skating rink in skate bags and who do not run their air conditioner the full session so that you will buy sodas from their concession stand.

Turn On:
SmartWater that comes in bottles small enough for me to freeze and lodge them inside my skate boots so I will have a cool refreshing drink as I look at the long lines at the concession stand.

Smartwater?

Not sure about where you are but here in the UK, if you buy that stuff it's a UV-reactive marker for stuff like computers that's encoded with DNA or something to make each bottle uniquely identifiable...

I always thought Texans were weird
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysarian View Post
Smartwater?

Not sure about where you are but here in the UK, if you buy that stuff it's a UV-reactive marker for stuff like computers that's encoded with DNA or something to make each bottle uniquely identifiable...

I always thought Texans were weird

I'm walking around on the same ball that is spinning that you are walking around on. The one that is called "earth".

What do you mean SmatWater is a "UV-reactive marker for stuff like computers that is encoded with DNA"?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 07:56 PM   #18
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
I'm walking around on the same ball that is spinning that you are walking around on. The one that is called "earth".

What do you mean SmatWater is a "UV-reactive marker for stuff like computers that is encoded with DNA"?

http://www.smartwater.com/Home.aspx
<-- that stuff

And I was joking with the "Texans are weird" thing - a lot of people I know think I'm weird because I still skate at 36
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:11 PM   #19
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysarian View Post
http://www.smartwater.com/Home.aspx
<-- that stuff

And I was joking with the "Texans are weird" thing - a lot of people I know think I'm weird because I still skate at 36

LOL! I must be weirder than you because I'm 48. Thanks for the link!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM   #20
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Not that Smart Water. Not www.smartwater.com. I'm talking about http://www.glaceau.com/.