S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old July 4th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #41
retread

Holy Chit!!! That's some serious equipment!!! And a beautiful rink.I'm not quite that old school, the tube powered Hammond pumped through a state of the art sound system with a made to shuffle beat is what keeps me going to the rink every Sunday. Have you heard that Whirlitzer? A pipe organ with a rythum sideman should be awesome!

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #42
ogfarmskater

Its a serious treat when they fire that bad boy up it blows the hairs on yer head when ya sk8 by i believe its the oldest rink on the west coast 103 years they have been sk8ing there..
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #43
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
Holy Chit!!! That's some serious equipment!!! And a beautiful rink.I'm not quite that old school, the tube powered Hammond pumped through a state of the art sound system with a made to shuffle beat is what keeps me going to the rink every Sunday. Have you heard that Whirlitzer? A pipe organ with a rythum sideman should be awesome!

Bob
Here ya go Bob !!! Not exactly Shuffle Music.... but, I'm tellin' ya, It takes some serious education and talent to play the Pipe !!! We are with you on the preference choice of Hammond, Rhythum Unit and State of the Art sound system. Thats what gets our blood pumping too !!!

Here's a YouTube clip and there are a few others from the Oaks on that YouTube page too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcb-...eature=related

I just thank the Good Lord I grew up in the Philadelphia area and the Flea Hoppers were the epitome of session skating.
And Ralph Brown, Marty Dumic and Bill Clark were setting the tempo for sessions !!!
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #44
retread

Does it mean you've had a bad night when as you pass the organist and he covers his eyes to avoid seeing possible carnage I'm off to the ice packs now...still, a bad night skating is better than a good night doing almost anything else!

Bob
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #45
NaNaDo

Quote:
Does it mean you've had a bad night when as you pass the organist and he covers his eyes to avoid seeing possible carnage I'm off to the ice packs now...still, a bad night skating is better than a good night doing almost anything else!

Bob
Hi Bob!
How you doing today??? And once again... another great night at Sportsman's !!! Good Lord I just woke up about 20 minutes ago. I was up with Kenny at 4:45 this morning, got a cup-o-coffe, then laid on the sofa to watch the morning news and fell sound asleep until 9:40 !!!! Thank God I don't have to travel far to work I made it here by 10:00 !!! Still in my jammies, but I am at work !!!

It's not the carnage Bob ... many of your friends are worried that one of these times you won't get back up. Wish you and Tami could come up to Olympic tomorrow... it's going to be lots of fun with Corey playing!
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #46
Tuesday Girl

Hi Regina,

There is a new young member on the forum, artskater14, that would like you to contact him. I think he must have some questions for you about artistic skating, clubs, etc. We realized we can't access you anymore! Sorry to be a pest, but I didn't know if you knew he was trying to reach you.
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #47
NaNaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
Hi Regina,

There is a new young member on the forum, artskater14, that would like you to contact him. I think he must have some questions for you about artistic skating, clubs, etc. We realized we can't access you anymore! Sorry to be a pest, but I didn't know if you knew he was trying to reach you.
Hello Tuesday !!! Been a while since we have chatted!!!

I just added you to my "buddy list" so you can access me now thru the PM or e-mail thru the Forum... also at my web site there is a "contact us" page with the e-mail link to my shop. I am on line daily (and many evenings because of the shop) for a quick responce!!! Remember a few months ago when "the war" was going on about having a Senior Forum ??? well a few of us had problems with unwanted e-mail and PM's so I turned off my options and only those I add to my buddy list can contact me now.... so sad it had to wind up that way....

How you been???? Find anything aout about the "Mary Mary" yet? I have asked seversl old timers at our rink and no one knows what it is ???? It may be specific to a certain areas of the USA!?!?!?

RE: artskater14.... I did read his post asking about club info.... Kenny and I don't actually belong to a club since we are not competing this time around.... but, had many years of it 35 years ago!!! We do however takes lessons at Fantasy Skating Center in Reading Pa.
I see artskate skates in the Reading Pa area too.... Fantasy is a well established art club with several National Champions and one World Class Silver Medalist !!! But, you don't have to be a top drawer skater to join or take lessons !!!! The people there or very kind and ver encouraging and helpful to any new comers.... We are taking our dance lessons from John who is an excelent "Team Dance" Coach.... Other than that we skate sessions at Olympic (70 miles away from Reading) in Enola Pa. and many Sundays go down to Sportsman's Hall in Maryland ... which is one dyn-o-mite fun night !!!
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #48
NaNaDo

Artskater14... I will go back and re-read you posting!!!
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:03 AM   #49
retread

My goodness....Corey was magnificent tonight at Sportsmans! (Yes Ragina, you missed Nights in White Satin ). Great crowd with lots of kids, enjoying the organ session! There is hope for the future!

Bob
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:09 AM   #50
NaNaDo

Quote:
My goodness....Corey was magnificent tonight at Sportsmans! (Yes Ragina, you missed Nights in White Satin ). Great crowd with lots of kids, enjoying the organ session! There is hope for the future!

Bob

So sorry we missed it !!!! "Don't make me cry here" !!! .... but I did get to watch Hector and Erica tonight at Nationals. They were "magnificent" !!!! And for twice the fun sat in a chat room with some skaters from PA, CA, Mass., and one more from CA. We all laughed and had fun together watching the skaters. When there is a video available I will let you know!!!

Can't wait for Corey to have that CD complete.... Love my "Night's in White Satin" and Corey does a great rendition of it!!!! See you and Tami soon!!!
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #51
NaNaDo

Hi Bob....
I forget the exact date, but....
Happy Birthday ! ! !
hope you have a wonderful weekend
and a great skate Sunday.... Marty is playing
wish we could be there
50 is not all that bad.... is it????
Old July 27th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #52
retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Hi Bob....
I forget the exact date, but....
Happy Birthday ! ! !
hope you have a wonderful weekend
and a great skate Sunday.... Marty is playing
wish we could be there
50 is not all that bad.... is it????

Well thanks....when you posted this, I was being thrown a suprise party, even though my birthday is August 5th. Actually, I'll be missing my first session, maybe two in a long time. I am preparing my boat for a cruise next week, my birthday present to myself! See you soon!

Bob
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #53
NaNaDo

Yes, party, I know, sorry we couldn't come down for it!!!
Antiher Picnic again today ... next weekend grandson's party and Son's party another weekend. Beth's family messed up some plans and party's for Aaron and Steve have all been changed. Have fun fixing up the boat (didn't know you had one) and have fun cruising ... it's starting to sould like that old song..."See you in September" !?!?!?

Haven't gotten a thing done all week, have filled my time watching the National Championship live web streme. Many of our friends and quite a few people from this Forum will be skating Dance all this week.

Hope it's not too quiet at Sportsman's tonight !!! Even you won't be there???? Quite a few from up here will not be skating tonight!!! One of the skaters from Roller Motion is having today's Picnic. From what I've heard Corey may be picnicing with us today too.

And, how's that knee ???? Will take the conversations about your knee to private e-mails OK?

Have a great weekend, enjoy crusing next weekend. Give Tami and the Mom a big hug from us. See you guys, hopefully, "before" September !!!!!!!!
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #54
retread

Oh Gawd this hurts. It's Sunday night and I'm not skating. It's gonna be slow. No Shirley, no Gerry, no Bob and Tami, no Ragina and Kenny! I just left my boat (relaunch tommorrow) and am going to bed with organ shuffle on my mind. Hopefully it'll make for good dreams.

bob
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:33 PM   #55
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Skating Skirts, way too long :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaNaDo View Post
Bob !!!!!!!!!!!!! And thank God for that !!!

Skateguy !!!
had enough of ....."don't let the boys see your knees and ears crap" in the 60's while in Catholic High School..... real sicko stuff!!! Hem lines had to be 3" below the knees and NO hairdo's that exposed the ears !!! I guess ankles were considered OK to look at by the 60's !!! Gee, wish I was a skater in the 60's.... can you imagine those little skirts and the effect they would of had???????????

Sorry Skateguy... those definetly were not 'the days' !!!!!
At a rink I skated at in Detroit, Motor City Roller rink the owners wife stood at the door with a stick with a mark on it, if the skirt didn't hit the mark you didn't get in the door. All the girls would hit the bathroom and roll up there skirt's waste bands and out onto the floor they'd go. Every once in a while the lady with the stick would show up rink side and single out a girl for a second measurment. Usually by the time she got the girls attention and she would get to the side of the rink, her skirt had grown a couple of inches longer??? :-) My dance partner was one of the worse offenders, I never understood what the problem was
Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #56
RogerSK8s

WOW
Marty Dumic is among the greatest to skate to (if you do dances, that is). When I was sk8ing out of Donora PA, we used to play his first CD, which had some long and fantastic songs. The shortest one was the polka at 3:20. From there it went on to the 138 waltz at 4:50. We put it on 'repeat' and sk8d for a couple hours to his songs.
Roger

Quote:
Really?? I could have swore I sent you one. I'll do it again. I sent Ralph Browns info, I'll do the same with Marty Dumic after I see him this Sunday. I also understand Marty has the rights to Bill Clark's music. Info to follow.

Bob
RogerSK8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #57
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Thumbs up Dominic Cangelosi

I had the pleasure of attending the Tuesday night session at Moonlight Rollerway in Glendale, CA last week and hearing Dominic play. If you ever get a chance, go. Brings back a lot of memories of my first rink sessions as a kid, skating to organ music on records.

Dominic plays what looks to me like an old Hammond B3, with a Leslie over in the corner. He's got a small array of electronic keyboards, but the most impressive thing was the bookcase filled with ring binders full of music.

Mooonlight has been there since 1958 and has one of the nicest floors I've ever been on. They have a very active art program and a very involved pro (Sparky), and the floor is always immaculate.

There were a lot of rexers in attendance, with a handful doing what they refer to as 'spot rexing' in the center. As I understand it, this is a particularly Southern California thing, and was fun to watch. I can most simply describe it as skating backwards in a small figure 8 (inside the large figure circle), but there's much more to it than that, and it's unfair to the skaters to so grossly oversimplify it. It looks fun. I was too busy watching people do it to study how they were doing it.
Old August 25th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #58
retread

All nights at the rink are good, some better than others. Last night, I was ashamed of some of my fellow organ session enthusiasts. Sportsman's Hall, reopened by a fine young man trying to carry on the traditions of the late founder, has been providing live organists, (good ones too!), and I suspect he's been losing money judging by attendance. Still he keeps them coming. Last night there was recorded organ music instead. (First time I've skated to Bill Clark in over 25 years!) Regulars turned and went back home. The organists will be back, but is this any way to support a rink? How will these people feel if the rink closes again? Shame, shame on those of you who left. And thank you Tim and Ladonna, for giving me my organ skate fix every Sunday.

Bob
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #59
Skatemore

Default Organ Music Sessions at The Orbit, Palatine Illinois

We have a Tuesday Morning organ session 10am-12pm.

The last Sunday Night of the month beginning September 7pm - 10pm Carl DeSanti at the organ.

He also has a CD for sale, Volume 1 of Dance Music - very beautiful!

Saturday, October 4th 7pm - 11pm Old Timers Reunion, for all the skaters of the great rinks of Chicago that are gone. Riverview, Hub, Axle, Arcadia, Roller Bowl, North Ave. The Elm and more.

Frank Pellico of the Chicago Blackhawks and Dean Rosko, a talented young organist also play our sessions on occasion.

visit the website for more info - www.orbitskate.net
Skatemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:10 AM   #60
retread

A repost for Google's sake

Here's the October organist schedule for Sportsmans in Maryland.....

Oct 5 - tapes
Oct 12 - Ralph
Oct 19 - Corey
Oct 26 - Ralph
Notice the tapes on the 5th....still the greats, Ralph Brown, Marty Dumic, Cory Fridinger and Bill Clark, but not quite like having live organists. People, if we don't start to support these sessions, I'm afraid we may lose them!

Bob