S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old October 14th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #21
skaterdog

I agree with Badnews.

This obviously is a group of dancing troublemakers ...possibly some type of dancing gang and they were probably flashing gang signs while dancing. Any sane rink manager would get them out of the rink as fast as possible.

If left undisturbed I've heard horror stories of these dancing marauders getting more and more bold....and at some point they cross the black line.

Nip it in the bud is what I say...get these degenerates out of the building.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #22
Spins

Skaterdog,

One of my favorite posts.

Gary
o-o

Old October 14th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #23
rokdaddy
Runs with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
This obviously is a group of dancing troublemakers ...possibly some type of dancing gang and they were probably flashing gang signs while dancing. Any sane rink manager would get them out of the rink as fast as possible.
Tell it like you see it Skaterdog!!!
rokdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #24
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerio View Post
c me on you guys..as long as I am in a democratic and free country.. I AM PAYING FOR FUN...JUSTLIEK EVERYONE ELSE...as long as I dont put anyone into risk... noone is gonna tell me what to do.. No way DUDE.
Well, you are NOTliving in a "democratic and free country." You are living in a Republic which has laws and rules which go along with personal responsibility and you will do what you are told and you will like it or you will be asked to vacate the premises.

The world is NOT your skating rink. It may be your oyster, but it ain't your roller rink.
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #25
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnews View Post
Well, you are NOTliving in a "democratic and free country." You are living in a Republic which has laws and rules which go along with personal responsibility and you will do what you are told and you will like it or you will be asked to vacate the premises.

The world is NOT your skating rink. It may be your oyster, but it ain't your roller rink.
Oh Hell yeah..you tell 'em badnews...these dancing scofflaws are probably plotting to overthrow the snackbar and drink all the Jones Soda.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #26
badnews

If God had wanted us to dance with skates on, he would have given us wings...or something like that.
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #27
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

The Dance scene with Richard in the Lead
http://skaterbill.com/web-images/sanjoseskate2.wmv
Thanks for the clip. That looked like fun!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #28
badnews

Does anybody know the name of the rink that Richard was skating at that he was shouted down at by the manager? I want to call him and find out what really happened and invite him to post his side of the story here.

I'll bet that will be a rude awakening, huh?
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #29
rollerdanceman

Default Banned From Dancing

Let me set the record straight for a few people. Im not asking for sympathy from anyone. I simply asked if anyone else on this forum experiened being banned from the middle. Period! I'm a very mature adult, and when I spend money, I like to get what I pay for. Bad service is bad service. Thats not selfish but simply a fact. If my business is not wanted I will not go back to such an establishment who cares nothing about their customers. Plus it was not directed at me for the record, but a very large group of us who spends many hours perfecting our craft. We were told if you don't like it, don't skate here. Enough said. I now skate at a rink who cares and treats their customer like mature people.

I travel the country teaching people how to skate and improve dancing skills on skates, which certainly cannot be done while skating around the floor when its crowded. The middle has always been reserved for skaters who are learning new skills whether it be basic skating to more advanced steps, like spinning, dancing etc.
If you want to see what really goes on across the country check out Google Video and type in the word Rollerskating and see where all the action is at almost every rink in the country. The Middle!

If you are a new skater, or a new learner, the outside can be very scary, so the middle or close to the middle is the safest place to skate.
rollerdanceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #30
artisan555

i for one, didn't think you were looking for sympathy or anything of that nature. i think i was as stunned as you were. i think i'm a little disappointed that this thread turned into a long running joke--don't get me wrong guys, the posts have been funny but i'm just getting back to the original message. . .

i mean what i find fairly amazing is that the rollerdancing in the middle is usually the most unobtrusive skating in the rink. spins was right when he observed in another thread that when u start dancing or working your moves in the center, it attracts alot of attention and you get people who stop and watch or want to join in; but i can't see how that would be a problem, and if it becomes a problem why aren't the floor guards controlling traffic? i just don't get it. i'd really love to know what the manager's reasoning is in this situation.

i talked to the manager at the rink i skate in about this situation and all he said was, "that's insane!". but then when he skates, he's in the middle dancing too. . .
artisan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #31
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdanceman View Post
Let me set the record straight for a few people. Im not asking for sympathy from anyone. I simply asked if anyone else on this forum experiened being banned from the middle. Period! I'm a very mature adult, and when I spend money, I like to get what I pay for. Bad service is bad service. Thats not selfish but simply a fact. If my business is not wanted I will not go back to such an establishment who cares nothing about their customers. Plus it was not directed at me for the record, but a very large group of us who spends many hours perfecting our craft. We were told if you don't like it, don't skate here. Enough said. I now skate at a rink who cares and treats their customer like mature people.

If you are a new skater, or a new learner, the outside can be very scary, so the middle or close to the middle is the safest place to skate.
Relax, Rollerdanceman.

You've got to admit this thread turned out much more interesting than had everyone just gone along with you and maybe after five posts of "Yeah, Richard, that manager sucks big time. Boo!!!" it faded into oblivion. Just like anywhere else, including this forum, if the "manager" doesn't like what's happening at their place of business, they are free to "correct" the actions of others for whatever reason even if there is no reason at all.

Let's face it...the owners rule and the idea of "The Customer Is Always Right" is wrong.

And the "customer" is always free to go elsewhere.
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:12 PM   #32
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Badnew's little discourse finally had some merit in it at the very end. Owners Rule and he is absolutely correct in regard to rinks. We then divide the owners into two categories, Businessmen and Non-Businessmen (women if gender applies). We look at a market, dancing skaters who bring business and develop future market (more skaters to the rink). A businessman would expand his rink to meet market demands. He would at the very least invite dancers to the middle and have dance contests and other things allowing the dancers to do what they do best, increase interest. The nonbusinessman see's only trouble in the dancers and runs them out. Negative thinking does not lead to positive results. Phil
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #33
badnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
We then divide the owners into two categories, Businessmen and Non-Businessmen. We look at a market, dancing skaters who bring business and develop future market (more skaters to the rink). A businessman would expand his rink to meet market demands.
Excellent point, Phil.

Now...what I'm witnessing from the testimony from many of the rink skaters here is that it's constantly crowded and there's no room for anything but flailing limbs and dodging little kids' bodies on the floor, so, it seems to me the "manager" of the rink isn't in that great a danger of losing much business.

I wouldn't have done what the manager did, but I wasn't there to be able to make a determination of what went on. I refuse to believe the manager told these dancing skaters to cease and desist for NO GOOD REASON. There has to be a reason or else the manager is insane.

<case closed>
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:46 PM   #34
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerdanceman View Post

I travel the country teaching people how to skate and improve dancing skills on skates, which certainly cannot be done while skating around the floor when its crowded. The middle has always been reserved for skaters who are learning new skills whether it be basic skating to more advanced steps, like spinning, dancing etc.
If you want to see what really goes on across the country check out Google Video and type in the word Rollerskating and see where all the action is at almost every rink in the country. The Middle!

Richard,
You have discribed what happen quite fairly.

I skate at the rink you are talking about and have talked with people who work there, skaters that know the management well, and haven't heard anything to contradict your discription of what happened.

I am disappointed in what has happen, as you probablly are. I also feel that what happened wasn't right, but that's not why you posted. You asked "Has anyone else gone through this madness, and if so what did you do. Lets hear your experience." and got a few mature responses. There were also a few "strange" responses from posters who don't even know the name of the rink being refered to. I guess they didn't understand the original question (even though it was quite clear). I read what they posted in reply, and I can't even tell if they are skaters. They seemed more interested in attracting attention to themselves.

Getting back to the original question "Has anyone else gone through this madness, and if so what did you do. Lets hear your experience." I'm looking forward to hear from other rink skaters about their experiences.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #35
hungryrollerblader
..The weird kid in school

I usually stick to the skate park and haven't been to a rink in a while.

however, once a month, my youth center would have "skate night", where they would play music and turn the gym into a makeshift skating rink. I would only go because I had a couple good friends who went.

I was usually the best skater there, 'cause i was the oldest, and probably the only person who ever skated every day. So I would win the races, and the roller-limbo (which is fun) and stuff.

The middle was reserved for little 4-year old's and their parents, and the only time they would let me in would be during the "Cha-cha slide."

I was fine with that. But I understand your point. This was a kid's event, so none of them even knew how to rollerdance. But if this were an all-ages rink, I would have to agree with you. It depends on the policy of the place.

and yes, owners rule. its not fair at all, but its true.
hungryrollerblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #36
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryrollerblader View Post
I usually stick to the skate park and haven't been to a rink in a while.

however, once a month, my youth center would have "skate night", where they would play music and turn the gym into a makeshift skating rink. I would only go because I had a couple good friends who went.

I was usually the best skater there, 'cause i was the oldest, and probably the only person who ever skated every day. So I would win the races, and the roller-limbo (which is fun) and stuff.

The middle was reserved for little 4-year old's and their parents, and the only time they would let me in would be during the "Cha-cha slide."

I was fine with that. But I understand your point. This was a kid's event, so none of them even knew how to rollerdance. But if this were an all-ages rink, I would have to agree with you. It depends on the policy of the place.

and yes, owners rule. its not fair at all, but its true.
Cha Cha Slide??? It's funny that you picked that song as the "skate in the middle" song. The Cha Cha Slide was the song that the manager had an issue with. He was upset seeing the skaters doing the ChaCha Slide in the middle of the floor and stated..."if we wanted to dance, then go to a club" Until then, all the rinks I've been to allowed the ChaChaSlide in the middle of the floor.

Every rink I've been to, including the rink in question, has allowed the "ChaChaSlide" to be done in the middle. In fact I think it's been played to death! Now if the manager wanted to ban the ChaChaSlide, I might be able To support that The fact is many skaters have fun with it, so even I have played it for a few sessions that I've programed. And yes the skated in the middle of the floor, and I even joined them

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #37
Rel8ing2Sk8ing

Default Why protect the identity of the rink?

I think the name of the rink should be pointed out for all to see. I know that place, and quit skating there because I got tired of all their stupid rules that had nothing whatsoever to do with skating. Would you believe that place has a (gag me!) DRESS CODE? I don't know why they think the people dancing in the middle are a problem. It's the people on the outside, going too fast for traffic and disregarding other skaters, that are the problem. Anyway, I got sick of rinks and their pissy little rules altogether. I bought some blades and now I only skate outdoors, where I can do whatever the heck I want.
Rel8ing2Sk8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #38
Rel8ing2Sk8ing

Default And by the way --

-- the rink is CAL SKATE in Milpitas, CA. Nice floor, good location, but sucky management.
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:00 AM   #39
Rel8ing2Sk8ing

Default Does anyone here think BadNews might be the manager in question?

I read all the way through this thread, from beginning to end. BadNews' posts remind me of what you see when you read through the reviews on an apartment-rating site I've looked at, where you can get past and present renter's reviews on what it's like to live there. On some reviews it's obvious there is a problem with the apartment complex. And suddenly there will be a post, OBVIOUSLY written by management, stating what a hunky-dory place it is to live, and how "wonderful" management is. These pro-management posts sure do have that same flavor to them, and make me suspicious.

I'm on Rollerdanceman's side.
To begin with, it is stated above that dancing in the middle has been going on for more than 20 years. If that amount of time has passed with no problems with the dancers, no accidents, lawsuits, injuries, conflicts, etc. beween the middle-people and the around-the-outside people, then I for one see no justifiable reason to suddenly ban it. It's supposed to be part of the fun that can be had at a roller rink, and is a nice alternative, when just going mindlessly 'round the outside becomes a little too monotonous.

And as for the statement that "Owners Rule", well yeah, they may own the business (for now, anyway), but they DON'T own the clients, and if they don't continue to keep paying customers coming through those doors, spending their money and enjoying their experience there, they could find that simply raising their prices isn't going to be enough. And they just could possibly end up as yet another roller rink closure statistic.
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #40
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Business's need to adapt. Our Rink has a Roller Derby Group who they are forcing out, not so much out of dislike but more out of liability and "these are the rules" rules. The second part of this is that the manager is young, does a good job, but does not have the intuition of a businessman. Still has some of the old HS stuff left over. Roller Derby is competing with Roller Hockey and since Roller Hockey brings in a lot of money Roller Derby becomes the step child with little support.

I'd really like to hear the Rink Owners side. Dancers can be as much of a hazard as speeders in a crowded rink. It still drives me nuts as the better skaters bring the younger crowd and make a focus for all skaters. The hockey players, derby girls, dancers, speed skaters and all make for a great place to skate. They are the energy and should be respected for their skills. Like I said in another thread, the rink is like a "bubbleboy thing" where it is a world onto itself. Looking in sometimes it makes no sense when you are on the outside. Building and maintaining a business is not easy and doing it right is even harder. I'd suggest this rink owner build his strengths and perhaps have talk with the dancing crowd. It can be fixed if there is a desire to do it! Phil