S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old June 14th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #61
Goldiloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Nah for the price range the classic's the best plate for trick/dance skating imho.....I skated one for 6-7 years inside and out, and 35 years later it's STILL around (someday the friend that has it will dig it out of his storage and it will be mine again!!)
The century's and OK plate but doesn't have the adjust-ability that the classic does. (it uses a rubber pivot cup with a fixed truck pivot pin instead of an adjustable pin) and the geometry isn't as nice.
The Classic has some small drawbacks but it's benefit's far out weigh them.
I tried every plate out there in this price range ( I worked at a skate shop for many years) and for a dance skater this is the last stop b4 synder or roll line IMHO.

EDIT: the drawbacks are.... the cushions don't change w/other SG's (see Doc's page for ones that will fit.) the pivot cup is designed to wear out the pivot pin (but the pivot pin is replaceable)instead of the pin wearing out the cup which is the norm. and they're a little on the heavy side. (for THIS forum which is overly dominated by no heel-having, art boot-hating SPEED skaters (I say this with much love and respect to my speed skatin buds!!!!)
Thanks Banzai I'm not fussed about the weight issue - like I said, Bauer hardshell hockey boots + Playmakers + big squishy wheels is all I've ever knows (apart from a brief affair with derby and R3's when I first started skating)

When I get my skates, I'll be putting my trust in the guy who is mounting the plates, so I need to give him as much info as possible as to how I'd like them (that includes tinkering with pivot pins, cups, bushings and hangers!).

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
Goldiloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #62
HK47
Roll Player

When it comes to adjusting cushions, thats something that you really need to be able to do - they're not something that you just set and that's it, as your skating improves for best results you're going to want to adjust them yourself (it's really not hard).

Banzai - if you have something to put them in do give the Super Cushes a go, they're lush
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:06 AM   #63
40yearslater

Oh dang, I forgot that the classic uses cushions that are different...I don't have classics, so it didn't come to mind.
Thanks for catching that, Banzai, I hate to give out bad information.
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #64
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
When it comes to adjusting cushions, thats something that you really need to be able to do - they're not something that you just set and that's it, as your skating improves for best results you're going to want to adjust them yourself (it's really not hard).

Banzai - if you have something to put them in do give the Super Cushes a go, they're lush
LOL I wish......roll line cushions are $45 a set If....NO, WHEN I mount my super X 's for park/ramp skating maybe
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #65
HK47
Roll Player

Oh yeah, I meant the SG ones, just for you to know what they're about
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #66
Goldiloks

Thanks guys, you've been super helpful!

So, now my next question is where can I find info on adjusting the pivot pin on the Classic? And which tools do I need to do this? (I searched a few threads, but got lost and confused. I realise its probably not that hard, but it is when you've never done it before!)

Thanks as always! Have a great weekend.

Goldiloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #67
HK47
Roll Player

This is how I understand it:

With the cushion furthest from the plate removed, adjust the pivot pin so it sits snug in it's cup while the truck is centered on the kingpin. From there you would then screw the pin into the truck just a little bit more the tighter you set your action - if the pins are too far out you'll know as your skates will try to steer themselves (not just feel squirrely but actually not want to go straight at all).
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #68
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

It's easy.... the pin it's self is threaded like a screw....set it at the proper height by using a wrench on the flat spots then tighten the lock nut down so it doesn't slip.

If you run your trucks loose.... setting it the way Hk suggested will be fine.
Otherwise I would set most the load you're going to have on the trucks bushings first THEN adjust the pivot to where it is fully in contact with the base of the cup and just barely starts to have some torque.
If you set the height of the pivot while the trucks are loose and then wrench down the trucks the pin will be set too long and you're unnecessarily stressing the pivot.
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #69
HK47
Roll Player

People like their trucks tight?
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #70
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
With the cushion furthest from the plate removed, adjust the pivot pin so it sits snug in it's cup while the truck is centered on the kingpin. From there you would then screw the pin into the truck just a little bit more the tighter you set your action - if the pins are too far out you'll know as your skates will try to steer themselves (not just feel squirrelly but actually not want to go straight at all).
Excellent mental image, yes, adjust the length of the pivot pin to allow the hanger to center itself on the top cushion, you want the hanger and top cushion retainer to be parallel, also, I like to put pressure on the hanger, to emulate my body weight, to see if it effects the "seat", it does, and then I re-adjust the pivot pin accordingly, I want the hanger to be seated properly with pressure, which is how it will be when I'm on the skates.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #71
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
People like their trucks tight?
Yeah.....I spent a few months recently experimenting with them loose and using grippier wheels just cause I haven't in a while.
I got used to it... but as soon as went back to tight and hard my skating got easier.

my indoor dance set up is 100% the opposite of what 90% of this site rolls.
Silver Star 355 art boots (arguably the stiffest leather boots EVER.)
Roll line Giotto w/super hard cushions and the trucks tightened down to about 35-40 clicks in (for reference I believe Doc runs his Giotto's with green clear or lighter cushions @ 0 clicks.)
Super hard and slippery Fo-Mac Premier wheels w/ bones Swiss.
My trucks DO turn but only when I force them to.....(230# down from 250#)

I also do a LOT of edge tricks and having trucks turn when you're balancing on the outside or inside edges of your wheels = dead stop.

Note: for you artistic skaters when i say edge I don't mean it like you guys do.....I mean on the corner of the wheel w/ the rolling surface @ 45 degree angle to the floor. like this V

Having really tight action also helps a lot to control the slip factor from the Vanathante/clay wheels I use......MOST skaters try these wheels and slip sideways on carpet never mind a wood floor.
With my action so tight I control weather I slide or grip better.
By having my boot, plate and trucks all with really really tight action the difference between sliding and griping is a VERY small amount of pressure.
And that's just how I like em.
A friend who coaches ice figures and has NEVER roller skated came to watch me once.... she freaked after "It's like half time you were going sideways and not rolling at all!!"

EDIT: I do roll quite a bit looser outside but I got to tighten up if I'm dancing and spinning.....not as much though. If I was even vaguely interested in racing or just going fast I'd do things differently.
Everything about my main set up is geared to indoor DANCE and TRICKS.
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #72
HK47
Roll Player

I can imagine rolling on the side of your wheels would need things tight, lol. With that said, I've experimented recently with tight action and found that it just made my feet hurt - for me, loose black rubber cushions would be my limit and I'd prefer hard urethane cushions set mid-tight (though I'll admit, I'm very very novice when it comes to dance, lol).

I still have some experimenting to do on the cheapy art skates I got for testing purposes (to find what I do and don't like) though so this could all change
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:14 AM   #73
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

I can iceberg on loose snyder cushions. I believe they are stock
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #74
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezyy jayy View Post
I can iceberg on loose snyder cushions. I believe they are stock
Good to know, thanks
Old June 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #75
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

Quote:
Good to know, thanks
Welcomes. I kinda git lost and didn't know what to post lol
Old June 20th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #76
HK47
Roll Player

Hey, no worries - every little bit helps build a picture of whats realistic and what's not