S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old June 9th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #41
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

@goldi, there is a movie called roll bounce, have you seen it, im sure any of those skates will do just fine for you
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #42
Goldiloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezyy jayy View Post
@goldi, there is a movie called roll bounce, have you seen it, im sure any of those skates will do just fine for you
Sure - that's what inspired me to wanna dance
Goldiloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #43
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

There are alot if ppl (JB skaters) at my local rink that mount boots (as in army boots) to their plates and they say they love them. Have you thought of doing that ?
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #44
Goldiloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezyy jayy View Post
There are alot if ppl (JB skaters) at my local rink that mount boots (as in army boots) to their plates and they say they love them. Have you thought of doing that ?
Actually no! Maybe I should get my Doc Martens mounted :P

Or.... http://weheartit.com/entry/10312621 lol
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #45
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

Now that is the coolest thing ever!
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #46
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Yes YOU would still crash

Hi Again Goldiloks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiloks View Post
I didn't :P Old enough for knees to crack!

Speaking of toe stops, I thought I'd try skating my Bauers with no stops, since I never actually use them (or so I thought). I fell over 3 times in 30 mins, while standing still. I obviously use them quite alot for balance :S I wonder if I'd be the same with jam plugs? (ie. falling on my face)
On mine the jam plug pretty much hits the floor JUST before the boot toe. So if your mounting position is the same you would do again as you have done with taking them out completely. Borrow some and see if I am right.

It sounds like you need to relearn stopping and standing on your Bauers in a T, modified T, Y

Good Luck Old Creeky Knees Girl, JOIN the Club
Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #47
Goldiloks

Yes I do need to practice, seems I've fallen into some lazy bad habits
It was quite a humbling experience - I thought I was confident on wheels but without my stoppers, I was like bambi

Regarding plate size and mounting position, is there a right way and ideal size? I won't be mounting new boots myself so should I leave it to the guy that's doing it (he's experienced with skate assembly) or should I be giving him instructions? I'll be going with a Suregrip Classic plate on a UK6 (think that's a US7?) boot.... Any tips on mounting this particular plate most welcome!
Old June 10th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #48
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

depends if you want a short forward mount, or a standard long mount. im assuming you want a standard mount.
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #49
Goldiloks

I'm afraid my knowledge of plates is non-existent; what's the difference?
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #50
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

Long mount (standard) is just a basic mount like you see on most skates
short forward mount:

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #51
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Standard Art Mount

Hi Again,

Quote:
Yes I do need to practice, seems I've fallen into some lazy bad habits
It was quite a humbling experience
If you want to find out more about plate mounting you can do some searches of SLF and some other skate purchasing web places. I see Doc in his SLF section has an entire tread devoted to Derby Mounting as a Response and Feed-Back. I didn't read it yet in the past he has been pretty good. You could use 'short forward' and I am pretty sure you will get hits to read further since I have seen lots of good information on some of those treads.

IF you are going with the Art Boot then I would make sure he mounts it for Art Skating. At this point I don't think you want to be playing with the front mounting position.

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #52
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

for Rhythm/jb art boots go short ( 1-2 sizes down from normal or -20-30mm wheel base depending on your foot size...) but not more forward than the ball of your foot.
Any more forward than that and you'll only be making it harder for toe tricks.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #53
Goldiloks

Thanks for the advice guys.
So from what I've read here, short forward is good for speed and quick responses. Since I'm not after speed (as in speed skating or derby) would a shorter plate do without being forward mounted?

Also, are there any other adjustments needed to the plate? I'm not sure how the standard SG Classic comes, but if it's advisable to swap out the bushings for something different, or adjust any other bits, I can let the guy know in advance...

Thanks again for all your help and guidance.

Regards, Goldi
Old June 13th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #54
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys.
So from what I've read here, short forward is good for speed and quick responses. Since I'm not after speed (as in speed skating or derby) would a shorter plate do without being forward mounted?

Also, are there any other adjustments needed to the plate? I'm not sure how the standard SG Classic comes, but if it's advisable to swap out the bushings for something different, or adjust any other bits, I can let the guy know in advance...

Thanks again for all your help and guidance.

Regards, Goldi
Like Banzai said, for dance only go a size or two down (I would just go for one down) and have it standard mounted (ie. front axle at the ball of your foot).

For Dance you'll probably find the standard cushions or the harder 'Super Cushes' will do the job since unlike Derby you're not going for high speed cornering - as to how hard to screw them down, that's personal preference and needs some trial and error (FWIW all the Bauers I've seen are hard as nails)
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #55
40yearslater

HK47 mentioned the Sure-grip super cushions.

I swapped out my original (black?) Sure-grips for yellow super cushions, and have been real happy with the result. The rebound is nice - it felt to me like the plates were both more responsive, and also much more lively on the return. It felt like the skates really came to life. Blues are a bit softer, and many people like them, but I found them a little unstable and drifty (probably just my relative lack of ability). If you could add some extra sets in a range with your order (like three colors), you could economically experiment and fine tune your skates to your preference. You can mix and match, too, usually with harder cushion on the plate side.
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #56
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Sure Grip Classic plates use cushions that ARE NOT compatible with other sure grip cushions.
so......no don't swap anything out from those plates
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #57
Goldiloks

Oh really :S ok that's good info to know!
Perhaps my choice of plate could be better then? I'd read such good things about the classic, I was sure it would be perfect for my level and budget ($250 or thereabouts, including shipping to the UK) plus the classic sounds like it's pretty robust and could handle some outdoor skating as well as indoor. Bearing in mind I'll be buying this plate to learn and improve on for a few years, should I stick with my choice or consider another plate/s perhaps?
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #58
Goldiloks

Default Thank you!

Thanks all, I do appreciate all the help and advice you've been sharing <3
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #59
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40yearslater View Post
... Blues are a bit softer, and many people like them, but I found them a little unstable and drifty (probably just my relative lack of ability). If you could add some extra sets in a range with your order (like three colors), you could economically experiment and fine tune your skates to your preference. You can mix and match, too, usually with harder cushion on the plate side.
I'm on blues for Derby, they're too soft for dance for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Sure Grip Classic plates use cushions that ARE NOT compatible with other sure grip cushions.
so......no don't swap anything out from those plates
What about the Century plate? It looks similar to the Classic but I think it can take the standard SG cushions ... plus it's a little cheaper
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #60
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
Oh really :S ok that's good info to know!
Perhaps my choice of plate could be better then? I'd read such good things about the classic, I was sure it would be perfect for my level and budget ($250 or thereabouts, including shipping to the UK) plus the classic sounds like it's pretty robust and could handle some outdoor skating as well as indoor. Bearing in mind I'll be buying this plate to learn and improve on for a few years, should I stick with my choice or consider another plate/s perhaps?
Nah for the price range the classic's the best plate for trick/dance skating imho.....I skated one for 6-7 years inside and out, and 35 years later it's STILL around (someday the friend that has it will dig it out of his storage and it will be mine again!!)
The century's and OK plate but doesn't have the adjust-ability that the classic does. (it uses a rubber pivot cup with a fixed truck pivot pin instead of an adjustable pin) and the geometry isn't as nice.
The Classic has some small drawbacks but it's benefit's far out weigh them.
I tried every plate out there in this price range ( I worked at a skate shop for many years) and for a dance skater this is the last stop b4 synder or roll line IMHO.

EDIT: the drawbacks are.... the cushions don't change w/other SG's (see Doc's page for ones that will fit.) the pivot cup is designed to wear out the pivot pin (but the pivot pin is replaceable)instead of the pin wearing out the cup which is the norm. and they're a little on the heavy side. (for THIS forum which is overly dominated by no heel-having, art boot-hating SPEED skaters (I say this with much love and respect to my speed skatin buds!!!!)