S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old March 13th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Goldiloks

Default Jam Skating - beginner setup advice

Firstly, hello! Long time lurker, but first post

Secondly, apologies if this post should have gone in the New Skater section (please feel free to move if it's not in the right place!)

I've been skating on and off (mostly off) for a few years; mostly recreational street skating, some indoor, and a little derby. I currently roll on oldskool Bauer quads, Hyper Rollo w/Bones Red (no idea of plate size, sorry!). This set up suits me perfectly for my outdoor skating persuits.

However, jam skating has piqued my interest of late. Loads of UK jam skaters wear Bauer or other icehokcey coversions for jam (shuffle, rhythm skating), so I am wondering if just changing my wheels would be the best idea, to something a little slimmer? Any suggestions? Would a hybrid wheel be my best choice, or would it be better to get new outdoor wheels and indoor wheels? Or if a new boot would be a wiser option? I love my Bauers, but I wear full toe stops rather than jam plugs (plus one on the back for street skating) which I don't want to be taking on and off the whole time, and they feel pretty clumpy for intricate footwork.

Would the Riedell Boost set up be ok for a beginner jam skater (my personal pref is a high top as opposed to a speed skate/derby boot)? http://www.skateasylum.co.uk/acatalo...tes-boost.html This is an entry level boot, but as my knowledge of skating equipement is pretty non-existant, I've no idea if the standard plate and wheels would be ok? (this would be for indoor only)

Any suggestions most welcome!
Goldiloks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldiloks View Post
Firstly, hello! Long time lurker, but first post

Secondly, apologies if this post should have gone in the New Skater section (please feel free to move if it's not in the right place!)

I've been skating on and off (mostly off) for a few years; mostly recreational street skating, some indoor, and a little derby. I currently roll on oldskool Bauer quads, Hyper Rollo w/Bones Red (no idea of plate size, sorry!). This set up suits me perfectly for my outdoor skating persuits.

However, jam skating has piqued my interest of late. Loads of UK jam skaters wear Bauer or other icehokcey coversions for jam (shuffle, rhythm skating), so I am wondering if just changing my wheels would be the best idea, to something a little slimmer? Any suggestions? Would a hybrid wheel be my best choice, or would it be better to get new outdoor wheels and indoor wheels? Or if a new boot would be a wiser option? I love my Bauers, but I wear full toe stops rather than jam plugs (plus one on the back for street skating) which I don't want to be taking on and off the whole time, and they feel pretty clumpy for intricate footwork.

Would the Riedell Boost set up be ok for a beginner jam skater (my personal pref is a high top as opposed to a speed skate/derby boot)? http://www.skateasylum.co.uk/acatalo...tes-boost.html This is an entry level boot, but as my knowledge of skating equipement is pretty non-existant, I've no idea if the standard plate and wheels would be ok? (this would be for indoor only)

Any suggestions most welcome!
well slimmer wheels would give you more maneuverability i had some of those orange rental wheels on my 595's and i loved them they were pretty good considering they were just rentals lol, but if you want a slimmer wheel go with some artistic wheels, i have a buddy who has the super bones elite with bones swiss labyrinth's in them and he is the best jam skater ive seen, he is the one taught me. but if you dont want an artistic wheel get the radar zodiacs, they are a slimmer profile about 38 mm i think and are really good wheels. if you plan on jam skating for a long time get some reidell boots they will last you about 15 years, the owner of the skating rink i go to has his from 20 years ago and still skates them often!!! and if you want a good plate if you are just starting out, then go with a sure grip probe, and then move up as you progress. but it is alot of money to invest. just so you know
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Goldiloks

OK.... thanks for your advice.

So the Riedell Boost, straight-out-of-the-box set-up wouldn't be so good?
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Two Boots, Two Set Ups

Hi UK-Goldilocks,

Well you already heard about the slim and harder wheels.

Since you want those big fat toe stops and those back stops for outdoor skating you will need another boot and set up for jam.

Hopefully you are doing Jam in-doors, yet please confirm for other jam skaters just in case you are doing Jam skating outdoors on pavement.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Every jam skater I see uses speed boots to allow for ankle movement.
The JB skating scene in Chicago uses high tops, but they are only laced up at the bottom, if at all. The upper part of the boot serves no actual purpose.
Old March 18th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Funny / ?? Site you are Using

Hi Again Goldilocks,

Used your link in Post 1 and found this:

http://www.skateasylum.co.uk/acatalo...am-skates.html

It is really ODD that they are calling this a Jam Skate. Normally I see the R3 for about 99US$ bought by Derby Gals. Never ever would buy it for Jam.

http://www.roller.riedellskates.com/...rchCriteria=R3

Old March 20th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

I see a lot of beginners in my area on Vanilla Junior 2.0 or Riedell Hybrid and Carrera set-ups.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:34 AM   #8
Goldiloks

@ Skating Dave Another boot & set up for jam skating you say? Awesome, music to my ears, an excuse to buy more skates.
I'll be jam skating (minus the floor work as my knees are shot and I'd never be able to get up again, lol) indoors and outdoors... mostly outdoors in the coming months. We aren't blessed with lots of rinks here in the UK
I had R3's for derby myself...but thats all I ever used them for, and since giving that up (and getting rid of the boots!) and switching to Bauers, I kinda like the feeling of a higher boot (I wear mine loose though so I have a little more flexibility - as much as a hockey boot will give anyways!)

@ Reserector
I think there is a mix of boot styles in the UK. Bauers (and Surpemes) are very popular still, and you'll see a fair amount of people jamming/shuffling in them (they just remove the stoppers), as are Reidell boots (no idea how they are set up but they are high cut worn loose, not low cut speed boots). That's not to say speed boots aren't used, but the only low cuts boots I have seen are worn by derby chicks. (UK skaters - correct me if I'm wrong here, I'm new to this!)

I'm at the beginning of this jam skating adventure, so I don't expect to be doing anything other than crab walking, toe jamming, side stepping, moonwalk... and some shuffling basics! :S

I like the high top rhythm Reidells, but if this is totally the wrong kinda boot for this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i61sc...eature=relatedtype of skating, I needs to know! ^_^
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:13 AM   #9
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default NYC Central Park / GodFather Links

Hi Again Goldiloks from the UK,

We certainly have different skate companies on both sides of the Atlantic.

When I looked at the Bauer Offering on their web site it did look like you could tuck down that front protective hockey piece and have a reasonable boot for some slow JB / jam skating. I did see some offered older Bauer offerings for Quad.

Since you are doing this outdoors in the UK the best links/searches I know about are for either Central Park in NYC or someplace in San Francisco where GodFather skates. I know people here in the Boston area that skate outdoors yet I think the links here would be minimal compared to NYC.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

Quote:
OK.... thanks for your advice.

So the Riedell Boost, straight-out-of-the-box set-up wouldn't be so good?
well for a boot go with something lower, like a reidell 395(lace cover) and the 595(w/o lace cover and about a cm higher cuff) but i dont recommend vanillas because they do not last you as long as the reidells do. i also sugest you gety a custom skate, pick the boot, plate, wheels and bearings seperate.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:10 PM   #11
Reserector
ameteur debunker

To the best of my knowledge, the Bauers are very popular, as are wide trucks like the ACS 651. Puffas are also worn by some. Not because they are practical, but because they are style favorites.

The same goes for the high top boots not laced all the way up. It is a style preference. I used to do that myself because that is the boot I had and could not afford to buy a speed boot at the time. (1979)

In the US, many skaters have gone to the low cut boots because there is no point in having the extra leather flopping around above the ankle. It is just in the way and adds unneeded weight. The low-cut boots are the style majority here in the states.

Jam skating is about style and showing off, so choose the boots that you think will be comfortable, combined with the best aesthetics for your audience. An american setup could be a real head-turner.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:30 PM   #12
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

Low cut reidells you can't
Go wrong!
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #13
Goldiloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezyy jayy View Post
well for a boot go with something lower, like a reidell 395(lace cover) and the 595(w/o lace cover and about a cm higher cuff) but i dont recommend vanillas because they do not last you as long as the reidells do. i also sugest you gety a custom skate, pick the boot, plate, wheels and bearings seperate.
595's - Mmmmm! Now those I like.
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #14
Goldiloks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4hUlOVLe4

Off topic a little, but this makes me happy. So many different people and skates and styles - love it! Like London's Hyde Park crew, but BIGGER! <3
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #15
Meezyy jayy
!Bont meets Luigino!

Quote:
595's - Mmmmm! Now those I like.
i love my 595s lol and with the pink laces!! you cant go wrong!! lol
Old March 26th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #16
Goldiloks

I can't help it, I am still drawn to hightops (but the lowcut-hightops hehe, not the uber tall flappy JB chicago style - awesome though they are, they would be up to my kneecaps, lol).

I can't find many reviews (any actually) on this set up -

http://www.skateasylum.co.uk/acatalo...tes-juice.html

Ridell 'Juice' rhythm set up:

• Riedell 120 Black Boot- Leather Upper
• Drilex® lining
• Ankle Padding
• Reinforced Quarters
• PowerDyne Triton Aluminum Plate
• Radar Varsity 62mm Black Wheels (for indoor!)
• KwiK ABEC-9 Bearings
• Jam Plug Toe Stops

How would these fair for session/shuffle/JB/freestyle? (I won't be doing any groundwork, but I may be outdoors as well as indoors - will change wheels for outdoor)

I am happy to change up wheels and bearings, but as for plates & bushings - I'd have no idea, so just want something I can wear straight away, and upgrade later when I'm less of a noob!

Sorry to ramble on, I just wanted to know if these are decent boots, plates and wheels for my intended purpose :/

Thanks again all *runs way*
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #17
40yearslater

Hi Goldiloks,

I've been hoping that more knowledgeable people might offer a more informed answer with respect to more of the components, but in the meantime, I can vouch for the 120 boot.
I started a pair of 120s a couple of years ago, and I think it is a really good boot, especially for the price. It has lots of support, is comfortable right out of the box, and has been very durable. I personally like the higher boots better, seems like you get a bit more support/leverage, and I've never found them to hamper maneuverability (at least for the middling stuff I do).
I don't know enough to comment on the other components, the main thing I would watch is the plate. I think that the Triton has been better received than the Dynapro, and people seem to be happy with the Reactor and Revenge.
Again, hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable in this regard will comment.

And hey, I don't think that Central Park video is off-topic at all, it shows the kind of skating you have in mind for the prospective skates.
Yeah, it does make you happy just to see... and the JB!! Like nothing else!
That's what it's all about.

I hope you find the set-up for you that is just right.
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #18
Goldiloks

Ha! I've just been reading a thread here on Tritons, and it did get LOADS of abuse :S

But good to know the boot has treated you well
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #19
40yearslater

Hey Goldi,

Sheesh, I just converted the pounds to dollars on that skate you listed.
I was thinking it might be too costly to ship, but considering that, you'd probably come out ahead with this:
http://www.skates.com/skates-century...120cnt-blk.htm
Already set up for outside, the plate is good.
Men's schmens, just convert a size down from men's to women's and down another .5 for US to British (? I think that's how it goes).

Might be a possibility.
Hopefully again, others will offer their thoughts.
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Salamanda

Hiya Goldiloks
I'm not a jam skater so I can't really offer you much advice on your future skates. I play derby and get most of my stuff from the US custom built. Be prepared to pay anywhere in the range of £40 to £80 in customs duty and VAT on items bought overseas. You may get lucky and not get charged anything but it is a lottery. Still, it might work out cheaper to pick spearate components; boots, plates etc and have them custom built and shipped over here. Shops like www.everglides.co.uk can order in unmounted Riedell boots and check out www.slapshot.co.uk and http://www.skatermate.co.uk for Roll Line plates or www.skateattack for Powerdyne and some Sure Grip plates. If there is something that you want but they don't have it on their website it is worth contacting them to ask if they can get it in you too.
I have my skates built by G.No aka Leadjammer skates, but there are many excellent skate builders who are members on SLF.
Salamanda is offline   Reply With Quote