S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old April 21st, 2007, 04:39 AM   #21
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Hi Again Roller Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
So the trick is to strattle the feet? I was keeping the right under my shoulders. It seems to balance on your heels, you just tighten up your legs and butt and go out at an angle. This one guy skates only on his toes down the rink, shuffling. Hes pretty good!
For toe spins, which are different than normal spins, or artistic toe stop spins it is full on your toes with no heel involved in any balancing. From what I know I believe this is mostly a jam skating technique rather than an artistic technique.

Yes "you just tighten up your legs and butt and go out at an angle"
Yes this is the large glutemous maximus muscle that we tighten.

<This one guy skates only on his toes down the rink, shuffling>

Yes that is one of the training techniques I suggested to MikeQ to prepare him for toe spins. The young kids learn this shuffle awful darn fast, yet those new to skating take forever.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:15 PM   #22
roller_dudette
skate addict!

MA/NY Dave,

You've made my day! I strattled my feet and then I was able to balance on my toes!! Finally! Didnt do any spins with that, but getting my artistic spins down better now. Just figured out, dont look down. Get better every week, wah-hoo! Gosh, life is great isnt it, lol?

But for jam spins, if your left leg is back, just twist to counter clockwise?

Yeah, great skating day today. We did arabesques in class. I didnt know I could do this, but I got my leg almost up to the ceiling I was told. Then the teacher had the whole rink watch me.....then I goofed up, lol!

Sorry, just too happy today!

But I want to be able to shuffle on my toes too. I can strattle on heel one foot, toes the other now too while skating. Humm.....cant wait until tomorrow!! Maybe I'll get the waltz jump (NOT! lol!)

Oh, the really good girl, she does one legged spins on her toes too. But her foot is right below her body. I"m not there yet! I want to try to do a 180 spin first one one foot. Hum......
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:34 AM   #23
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Happy is Good/Arabesques

Hi Again RollerDudette, Mike Q

Guys, from what I know, you know this post series really belongs in the Jam or maybe the Quad Skating forum, yet I will continue and maybe Kathie will move this tread in the near future

Quote:
MA/NY Dave,

You've made my day! I strattled my feet and then I was able to balance on my toes!! Finally! Didnt do any spins with that, but getting my artistic spins down better now. Just figured out, dont look down. Get better every week, wah-hoo! Gosh, life is great isnt it, lol?

But for jam spins, if your left leg is back, just twist to counter clockwise? ......
For the training move I was describing, you would turn clockwise so that your feet would reverse positions and still be on your toes with your G.Maximus still tight. This is training prior to just letting things go and continuing to spin.

Quote:
Yeah, great skating day today. We did arabesques in class. I didnt know I could do this, but I got my leg almost up to the ceiling I was told. Then the teacher had the whole rink watch me.....then I goofed up, lol! ......
This is great, I can picture you being excited
The young girls (7 to later), and the some older gals do this so well and have great balance. The young girls do this so easily even during a normal skating session with a filled rink. I usually tell them when they aren't parallel to the floor. I know a geek thing, yet they are fun including my buddy 14 year old Stevie, who is very talented.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:51 AM   #24
brikkee

i dont know if this is what your looking for but hear some good spins and i am also working on these my self
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpozTWiTCyo
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:02 AM   #25
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, what I'm trying to do first is the shuffle with spins on my toes down the rink during sessions. I kinda like variety! Then you put some jumps and flips in........hehehehehe...

I guess this is jam skating huh? I like it all!

So after you spin that long, how to you unwind your head, lol? I was practicing my artistic spins today, again and again and again and again; I started to feel like I was woozy, lol.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:12 AM   #26
brikkee

Quote:
Well, what I'm trying to do first is the shuffle with spins on my toes down the rink during sessions. I kinda like variety! Then you put some jumps and flips in........hehehehehe...

I guess this is jam skating huh? I like it all!

So after you spin that long, how to you unwind your head, lol? I was practicing my artistic spins today, again and again and again and again; I started to feel like I was woozy, lol.
im also doing the same as you takeing a shuffle adding toe,heel,LBRandRFLetc...spins as far as jumps basic jumps down plus 360 im am working on a axle at the moment.yeah woozy i do feel lol but funnot to say my hips are sore
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:31 AM   #27
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikkee View Post
im also doing the same as you takeing a shuffle adding toe,heel,LBRandRFLetc...spins as far as jumps basic jumps down plus 360 im am working on a axle at the moment.yeah woozy i do feel lol but funnot to say my hips are sore
Oh WOW! I'm jealous!! Well, I'm right behind you, like 2 or 3 steps.....um maybe 4. I am just skating forward on both toes, but last week I couldnt hold on my toes. Next week, who knows? I hope to get the waltz jump down smoother too.

Gosh, who knew life could be so much fun????

Sore hips huh? I guess I should buy some Northern, rofl! :-O
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM   #28
brikkee

Quote:
Oh WOW! I'm jealous!! Well, I'm right behind you, like 2 or 3 steps.....um maybe 4. I am just skating forward on both toes, but last week I couldnt hold on my toes. Next week, who knows? I hope to get the waltz jump down smoother too.

Gosh, who knew life could be so much fun????

Sore hips huh? I guess I should buy some Northern, rofl! :-O
Sore hips is do to the falls i take trying these spins and jump,etc... and for some reason i seem to land on the same spot over and over again
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:07 PM   #29
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Yeah brikkee,

I think if I keep going the way I'm going, I might get me some hip pads! They arent big. Right now I wear sliding shorts under my pants. Its a little something. Noone knows unless I tell them.

Yeah, sucks when you get older and the falls hurt more.
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #30
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I thought I would post that I finally spun around on my toes! Not good but I did it. Seems like the trick is to have your feet in first position, 45 degrees out. Then it just happens. I did it on one foot too! Dont get too excited. Only did it by accident so dont think I could do it again right now. I honestly think artistic spins are easier. But I enjoy doing them all.

At the end of the figures class, the teacher tells us for the last 5 mins we can jump and spin all we want, so a couple of us do, lol. We just hang out in the center and have a blast.

One of the younger more advanced skaters did a spin with the inside foot-she was balanced on her back wheels only, then I think she was doing an inside edge with the outside foot spinning around. She said she just made it up but it looked like fun! We just enjoy messing around. Lots of fun!!

Maybe next week I can figure out how to shuffle-spin on my toes while going forward.
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #31
brikkee

the way i spin on my toes is i ride my toes for a good 30 sec then go into spins hope this helps ya
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM   #32
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default You guys are getting there

Hi Brikkee, RollerDudette,

Woah you guys are close, I am excited for both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikkee View Post
the way i spin on my toes is i ride my toes for a good 30 sec then go into spins hope this helps ya
Yep that is one way that both you and RollerDudette just naturally do or did the spin. Brikkee Remember to turn your head and shoulders in the direction of the spin. RollerDudette use your hips. Don't hold back in the direction, go forward in the spin direction with head, hips/shoulders, etc.

BTW, I don't like stationery spins; although, I do like the going forwards continual mohawk spins. I have been told to look up more to the ceiling so that your entire body is straighter and it isn't so dizzy.

When you get it down for one spin or maybe two practice with your arms extended out, then closer to your body then up in the air. It increases your spin speed.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM   #33
rokdaddy
Runs with scissors

Hi Dave,

I don't understand what you mean when you mention "continual mohawk spins". Can you elaborate on this? I've never heard of any type of mohawk spin and would like to give it a try. Thanks.

Rokwel
rokdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:32 AM   #34
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Mohawk Spinning, Around and Around he goes.

Hi NMexico-Rokdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdaddy View Post
Hi Dave,

I don't understand what you mean when you mention "continual mohawk spins". Can you elaborate on this? I've never heard of any type of mohawk spin and would like to give it a try. Thanks.

Rokwel
Rokdaddy, you I am sure do the Mohawk plenty of times as you turn from back to forward and then forward to back. Most good skaters do this move and might not even know it's name. If you buy the new BSA Handbook on Skating it is on page:51. It is just the name for the turn to reverse directions.

Now some people do a hop turn yet my guess is you can do that one as well as the standard Mohawk turn.

So now what I call Mohawk spinning going in the "skating direction".

Just keep on doing the Mohawk over and over again turning from Front to Back and to Front again. No stopping. Do this going all around the rink including the corners. Then later do it counter clockwise again around the rink.

This doesn't make me as dizzy as stationery spins and feels more fun. Yes a little dizzy yet not so bad. And I get to play with my hands as I do the spins.

Now what I don't know, since I can't observe myself or my feet, is if I am actually doing a few heel toe standard stationery spins in motion when I do this move reasonably fast. I suspect based only on subject "feel" that I am doing some heel toe spins on some of the spins.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:44 AM   #35
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default And a few back steps

Hi Again Rokdaddy,

It is always fun to interrupt the spinning and do some back cross steps as a slight interlude to the spinning. My buddy Bobby from Salem, NH who is older than me has and still does this back step fantastically as part of his routine. He did it even better before his accidents.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 2nd, 2007 at 04:45 AM. Reason: The Salem in NH not the one in MA
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:09 AM   #36
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Hopefully a Move

Hi All, Kathie, MikeQ,

I am going to ask Kathie to move this tread line to another sub forum since I don't like bothering the Artistic People with treads that don't apply to their type of skating.

With Rokdaddy entering, and Brikkee, RollerDudette joining in with their real time experiences until they make complete spins, I think this tread line might have some longer life and some usefullness to another sub-forum. Jam, Quad, ???. So it might be good to move it now while it still has some life kicking and it would reduce the disturbance to the Artistic Skaters.

She may disagree with me.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 2nd, 2007 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Incomplete Verbiage
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:36 AM   #37
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Coming Back to the Toes and Toe Skating

Hi MiikeQ, Brikkee, RollerDudette, RDaddy, , ,

The most important thing for me is to get up on your toes often in order for you to complete either a half spin, 270 or a full 360 spin using only your toes.

If you can shuffle going forward on your toes that is good training since it keeps you up on your toes, gaining balance. If you can also go sideways on your toes that too is good. If you can also do a stationery back and forth shuffle twist on your toes that too is good training.

Hopefully tomorrow the best toe spinner I have ever seen will talk with me. He is very reclusive(private), and sometimes is no-show so I don't know if I will succeed with an update. We just missed colliding with each other last week or maybe the week before and I was amazed at how well each of us just managed that close body contact.

Old May 4th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #38
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Hey M/S Dave,

Can you go more in debth on shuffling forward? If I can get that down, I'll be happy! I just can go forward and spin a bit. Its fun.
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #39
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Update from a Great Toe Spinner

HI MikeQ, Brikkee, RollerDudette, SkateLogrs'

Here is a clip from my last note

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hopefully tomorrow the best toe spinner I have ever seen will talk with me. He is very reclusive(private), and sometimes is no-show so I don't know if I will succeed with an update. We just missed colliding with each other last week or maybe the week before and I was amazed at how well each of us just managed that close body contact.
Sorry to say what he gave me is a bit hard for most of us to use as a training routine, yet here goes.

He has been doing fast toe spins for so long it was a little hard for him to remember how he got to his current abilities at continual toe spins with his good long arms up high to the ceiling like a spinning top. How he remembered he was able to do these spins is from learning each of the following spins.

1)normal spins (heel toe)
2)single foot spins
3)heel spins
4)single toe spins

5)working to do the sitting spin
Since the sitting spin is so hard to do he said that toe spins come out
as an easy skill from learning the sitting spin.

Before he was here in the Boston area he learned this stuff in NYC.

Next week I will remember to ask his name and edit this post. We skate so darn long and hard we mostly forget to ask each other our names.

Edit-1: His name is Jimmy and he is from Boston. According to Irving he and Jimmy skated all over the place starting around 1981. They went down many times to NYC and skated at the Roxy

http://www.roxynyc.com/wednesday.html

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; May 11th, 2007 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Promised editing
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #40
roller_dudette
skate addict!

So how do you do single foot spins? Wow, I'm going to get silly-dizzy on Saturday! :-D

I understand not knowing others names. We have so much fun that it took me 2 months to learn some peoples names, lol. Yeah, skating is more important then the typical, hi, whats your name?