S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM   #41
Laserskateplate
blazin is a bitch CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckbest View Post
dae just told me who u are..lol

u never answer if I call. so u call me..haha

Oh yeah , I forgot you didnt know my name on here.........

Last time i tried the # was off....you still have the same #
It Keeps me Young. It keeps me in good health. It keeps me out of Trouble. It connects me to past generations, And the ones coming up. It keeps me in touch with my community. It challenges me , It Frustrates me, It comforts me. I GLIDE ON THIS MUSIC, I FLOAT ON THESE WHEELS.AND ....I'll be doing it till they put me in the ground. SKATING ........The other Drug!!!!
Laserskateplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM   #42
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Hey Rob... isnt this your rink?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdbLP...eature=related
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #43
Philphine

i don't know if i'm understanding the double pump part, but when i skated more the rinks i went to localy did it with all 8 wheels rolling on the straits. it was like one foot rolls in front of the other on one beat (actually the two beat), then side by side the next beat, then the other foot in front, and so on. if the beat was slow enough (something like "trans europe express") some of the better skaters could cross twice with each foot and skip the side by side part. going back recently that's still how it's done, or lift the back foot all the way up but still almost mimmick the 8 wheels down motion.

while i was typing that i remembered that you may not be going just to shuffle, so depending on your skates that could be harder to do (like if your trucks are fairly tight and/or you had your skates laced tight on your feet). say if someone were doing that lag deal, but you can see their ankle is almost hanging out of the skate, so they've still got all 8 wheels down, but i guess their back wheels would be off the ground if they had them laced on tight. or for me i kept my trucks loose, so moving my feet back and forth and keeping the wheels down was easy to do without lifting them.
Philphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #44
Randy Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philphine View Post
i don't know if i'm understanding the double pump part, but when i skated more the rinks i went to localy did it with all 8 wheels rolling on the straits. it was like one foot rolls in front of the other on one beat (actually the two beat), then side by side the next beat, then the other foot in front, and so on. if the beat was slow enough (something like "trans europe express") some of the better skaters could cross twice with each foot and skip the side by side part. going back recently that's still how it's done, or lift the back foot all the way up but still almost mimmick the 8 wheels down motion.

while i was typing that i remembered that you may not be going just to shuffle, so depending on your skates that could be harder to do (like if your trucks are fairly tight and/or you had your skates laced tight on your feet). say if someone were doing that lag deal, but you can see their ankle is almost hanging out of the skate, so they've still got all 8 wheels down, but i guess their back wheels would be off the ground if they had them laced on tight. or for me i kept my trucks loose, so moving my feet back and forth and keeping the wheels down was easy to do without lifting them.

I showed a skatelog member the dble pump last night, maybe she will chime in ? but in my definition of it

the wheels ( only two of them ) on the bring back foot and u pump skate to behind the leading knee in a str8 line
best way to replicate this would be to stand up on your right foot, bring your left foot behind your right foot bend your knee and try to ram your left knee behind your right knee,, notice to do this your toes want to point downward ? that's why i said its impossible to do this on 4 wheels because to make it look like your doing something exotic (so to speak) there is no physical way to keep all 4 wheels flat while maintaining a bent knee
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #45
Randy Edwards

and for Trans Europe Express it's off the hook.lol here's our crazy ass DJ enjoying it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rpud...e=channel_page

oh and hes on rentals also ,lmao
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #46
Randy Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post

hell it looks like he's in the video ?
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #47
Laserskateplate
blazin is a bitch CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post

Yes , But I really dont have a rink, Cause I skate at a few different ones....

I am very good friends with the owner & Thats my Sat. Night spot.

That film was suppose to be done before X-mas, but he had to fly to Fla. to interview a few more people , So its still in the Editing Process.

The filming was boring cause it was a closed session & not crowded enough for me.......lol

But he did get over 2 hours of real good skating footage.
It Keeps me Young. It keeps me in good health. It keeps me out of Trouble. It connects me to past generations, And the ones coming up. It keeps me in touch with my community. It challenges me , It Frustrates me, It comforts me. I GLIDE ON THIS MUSIC, I FLOAT ON THESE WHEELS.AND ....I'll be doing it till they put me in the ground. SKATING ........The other Drug!!!!
Laserskateplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #48
retread

Wait til you see the second half of the film Rob, us old farts. Filmed in a packed, small rink. I'm sure I got left on the cutting room floor, but it definetly was fun!

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #49
BretMan

Hey Skyborn Old Schooler,

Skate cam rocks!

I was watching some of your DJ's other videos on YouTube. There is one where he interviews a couple of guys skating at the Skatin Place and asks them where they're from. They were both from Columbus and said they skated at my local rink!

Those shots from their session look pretty much the same as our adult night on Thursday, as far as the same skating styles. This session is every Thursday from 9:00-12:00 and it is usually jam packed and wall-to-wall!

Skate Zone 71 in Columbus also has a once-a-month late adult skate- first Saturday of every month from midnight to 4:00 am.
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #50
fireproof

Bretman,
I skate at the Zone most Saturday's at 1:30 p.m.
fireproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #51
BretMan

Hi, Fireproof!

Maybe if I'm lucky I'll catch you there sometime. For the time being, other hobbies are cutting into my skating time. Now through March, most Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (most, but not all) I'm umpiring fastpitch softball at a couple of different indoor facilities in Columbus and Dublin.

The umpiring gigs were too good to pass up- doing something fun that you love AND getting paid for it! If I could just figure out some way to get paid for SKATING, I'd have it made!
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #52
Randy Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Hey Skyborn Old Schooler,

Skate cam rocks!

I was watching some of your DJ's other videos on YouTube. There is one where he interviews a couple of guys skating at the Skatin Place and asks them where they're from. They were both from Columbus and said they skated at my local rink!

Those shots from their session look pretty much the same as our adult night on Thursday, as far as the same skating styles. This session is every Thursday from 9:00-12:00 and it is usually jam packed and wall-to-wall!

Skate Zone 71 in Columbus also has a once-a-month late adult skate- first Saturday of every month from midnight to 4:00 am.

Brett

they have a group skate there once a year.. people come as far as Minnesota to skate on that particular night ..but Butch is awesome he was an actual award winning radio DJ ... he's did events with Midnight star , George Clinton etc plus he's a hell of a good skater for his style
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #53
BretMan

There is something like that coming to my rink February 5-7- the 4th Annual Icy Hot Skate Jam.

They have a hotel booked near the rink, with pre-skating parties, dinner buffets and special rates for out-of-towners. Three nights of late night adults only skating sessions at the rink.

I bet some of the Dayton folks might be coming up for this one!

From their flyer:

4th ANNUAL "ICY HOT" SKATE JAM

AGENDA

Thurs. (Feb 5): "1/2 Price Skate" for out of town guest Skatezone 71 / 9pm-2am/ $7.00 admission

Fri. (Feb 6) : Meet & Greet 6-8 /Clarion Host Hotel / ticket sales, music, games and mingle w/ Skateology

Fri. Night : "Friday Night Mixer"

TROPHY AND PHOTO TO

"LARGEST UNIFORMED SKATE GROUP"

Skatezone 71 / 12-5am / $10 admission/ Free Pizza Buffet (must be 21 & Older)

Sat: (Feb 7) : 2-9pm "HOT SPOT" PARTY

Clarion Host Hotel Banquet Room / Food / Contest/ Games and Ticket Sales

2-3pm= 2009 TABOO CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!

(WOMEN VS. MEN) "2009 Championship Trophy"

FOR WINNING TEAM CAPTAIN

3-4pm=Uno for gift cards (sorry, no longer for shots)

4-5:30pm=Dance

5:30-7pm=Karaoke

Sat. Night : 4th Annual "ICY HOT" Skate Jam!

The Main Event w/ the one and only DJ Narsistic

11:30pm-5am(must be 21 & older)

$12 advance - $15 @ door/ Free Food Buffet

Coat check provided by Skatezone 71

Security provided by CPD
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:31 PM   #54
rinkraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post
It's a pain to relearn when it's 26+years and a hundred extra pounds since you were good at it! Trust me I know. But just fall in behind and watch, it'll come naturally.

Hey A-Town thanks for the Rannaillis, like Goldilocks porrage, they are JUST right!

Bob
Hard to relearn ??? Shucks, I've taken hiatuses for years and years, and haven't forgotten a bit of my shuffle - and now I'm haulin' an extra 70 lbs around the floor. Every element of my footwork, forwards and backwards, is still workin' like a well-oiled machine..... I still frequently get compliments on my tearin' up those funky rhythms....
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #55
retread

You're a lucky dude there Raptorman....I'm running like a real rusted machine, but I won't give up. My orthopedic surgeon went ballistic when he saw pictures of what I've been doing!

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:39 AM   #56
AcuraAms

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinski View Post
the way i learned was i asked someone who new how to doit. every move is in a 4 beat step ytou have to stay on beat otherwise it dosnt look right. ask someone who knows to tell you the basic shuffle step that originated in the 70s. once you learn this shuffle beat you can do anything with it. and once you get it you will know. just remember your skate should come down on the beat. if you lived near PA. i would show you, were always lookin for more shufflers.... good luck!!
I am glad someone mentioned staying on beat...

I learned to (I am giving away my age) Naughty By Nature's "Wickedest Man Alive" good slow beat to get used to...
Old February 21st, 2009, 11:10 PM   #57
AcuraAms

I just reread this thread...now I am paranoid about how I jam because I mostly skated at one small rink in nky. I may just have the hubby video me...lol!
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:43 AM   #58
Ignatz
Brick House

Cool

I'm not all that great, but when I want to learn a new move I watch someone closely and put her moves to a count, much as a dance teacher would (ex: ONEtwothree ONEtwothree). I soon realized that one of the teen girls' most mystifying moves involved a simple 1-2-3 count, and that helped me to (kindasorta) learn it.

I also break down the teen jammers' crazy maniac routines into individual moves. I isolate one thing and practice that. Now if only I could put all the moves together at lightning speed like they do, but alas, I would fall.

Other thing to shuffling is, keep your knees bent. The bouncing of your knee in time to the music is part of shuffling. I use my arms, too. And other parts.
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM   #59
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilda View Post
I'm not all that great, but when I want to learn a new move I watch someone closely and put her moves to a count, much as a dance teacher would (ex: ONEtwothree ONEtwothree). I soon realized that one of the teen girls' most mystifying moves involved a simple 1-2-3 count, and that helped me to (kindasorta) learn it.

I also break down the teen jammers' crazy maniac routines into individual moves. I isolate one thing and practice that. Now if only I could put all the moves together at lightning speed like they do, but alas, I would fall.

Other thing to shuffling is, keep your knees bent. The bouncing of your knee in time to the music is part of shuffling. I use my arms, too. And other parts.
This is in my thread SRB 2009, this is Chris, I've skated at his home rink, Sparkles in Kennesaw, GA. Hes really good. This is his shuffle skate routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t33yQ5QBKII
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:27 AM   #60
Ignatz
Brick House

Oh really?

Last edited by Ignatz; November 5th, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote