S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #81
Skatervideoguy

Hi Holiday Guy,

Quote:
Hi guys my "Holiday" rink has a non-uniformed officer
Interesting, I've seen that, but my experience suggests that a Uninformed Officer has greater Deterrent Impact - than a person in a Suite & Tie, even when both are Armed. This appeared to be true in Rinks, and in the Court System I worked in for 23 yrs. Appearences do seem to Count to those with Evil intent.

Quote:
they haven't had any issue there in 3 years
That's Great !!

Harold
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #82
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi Iggy,

In my experience, this is only useful if the folks stick around long enough to get Arrested, as usually these Fights are rather short lived, and it usually takes a few minutes for the Police to get there. Now if a Uniformed Officer is on site, working the Rink, then you've got quick action. I've been to a number of Rinks that have Officers on duty, and currently attend one Rink that does that.
I should've mentioned that we can look out the front door and see police department about two blocks away. They can get there pretty quick

Quote:
It's great that you've not had a major Altercation at your Rink for some time, not all are so lucky.
Oh I'm well aware. We've had some pretty good ones in the past before I started working there. Not that I'm the reason for there not being any for a while. Just coincidence.

Quote:
Right On !!

Now if all Rink Staff was paying attention for such Clues, it would help. Then there's those times when there are no such Clues to see or hear - and suddenly there's a Fight - Rink folks need to have Action plans for those situations too.

Harold
Really it's not a matter of consciously listening for anything, but more so the fact the kids like to talk a lot and don't really pay attention to who's around at the time. And no there isn't always signs. A few years ago (before I worked there) we had a kid that had just left come running full sprint back through the door, down to the back of the rink, and started wailing on another kid. They got separated and cops showed up and took care of the kid.
Old February 25th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #83
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Thankfully, we haven't had any fights at our rink in a few years actually (knock on wood). A few kids running their mouths at each other trying to start something on a rare Saturday night, but we break those up pretty quick before anything happens.
Should've know I was gonna jinx myself

This past Saturday night was one of those nights. Nothing huge like the video posted here, but three or four small skirmishes. Mostly yelling, but I think one kid did smack the other one in one of them. I wasn't even aware of most of the problems til later because we were so busy I didn't even get out from behind the skate counter the whole first session. Though I had to break up a fight right at the end of the night. I was behind the skate counter putting skates away and I saw a kid walk past the counter toward the back of the rink. Once they take their skates off to wait for their ride they have to stay up front. So I was about to go tell him to go back up. Then another kid came up behind him on skates and shoved him in the back. I dropped everything and went to separate them, but by the time I got there (like, 5 seconds) the second kid had the first on the floor wailing on him. I ran over and pulled the kid off, but he squirmed out and jumped back on the kid. Second try I got the kid pulled off and separated them. Took him too management and let them deal with him.

I knew it was gonna be that kind of night from the get go. Like I said, there were small groups of kids getting their skates and all I heard was "Oooo he gonna f*** him up." "That dude gonna get punched in the face." Don't these kids pay attention to who's around them?
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #84
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
Don't these kids pay attention to who's around them?
Nope. In our present day of "Reality" T.V. mentality, they don't care, either. Everything is out in the open for everyone else to hear/watch. Then, they seem insulted if nobody filmed it and put it on YouTube.
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #85
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Thanks for the Skate Fight Night Story

Hi Iggy,
you too Doc even though far North, and Harold Our Tread Leader.

Quote:
Should've know I was gonna jinx myself
o - o all I heard was "Oooo he gonna f*** him up." "That dude gonna get punched in the face." Don't these kids pay attention to who's around them?
As for the jinx I agree. Has Happened to me too many times after a SLF post.

At Chez Vous in Boston (OK Dorchester a Boston neighborhood) the police station is next door. I mean you can park in their lot by accident. According to people I know well from SLF it never stopped fighting in the Rink, nor drugs. And that was long before many TV channels. I know the same from a few other places not even next to a police station.

Male and Female Fight Stuff needs to be stopped from the Get Go. AND Banishing them for life is always a great option if that is the last or most important option. A Rink has to know it patrons. and how to manage discipline.

I thought Donora would be a nice place, with well trained kids. Oh Well. Yet Thanks Iggy,

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #86
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Early Speed Skate, then Again

Hi Iggy, Harold,

One more thought tactic then gone.

If the management brought in an early hard speed skate, and then did one again a bit later, it can blast most of the over energy kids to calmness.

A little off the tread start yet part of Iggy's series.

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #87
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
I thought Donora would be a nice place, with well trained kids. Oh Well. Yet Thanks Iggy,

99% of the time it is. This past Saturday just happened to be that 1%.
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #88
Skatervideoguy

Hey Skating Dave,

Quote:
If the management brought in an early hard speed skate, and then did one again a bit later, it can blast most of the over energy kids to calmness.
Yep ! That can be a useful tool. Seen it done for at least 6 decades. As long as they don't do the Low Lighting and Moving Lighting at the same time. That also suggests having Floor Guards on the Floor, for control and Accidents that may occur - as most of these folks aren't that skilled at Speed Skating.

Harold