S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:43 AM   #61
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilda View Post
Oh really? I skate Sparkles L'ville
So do I. Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night, this past sunday was the last adult night (for now) I went to the SRB regionals with Faye, her daughter Angel, Michael and Bobby, Clay and Tyler rode with me and a few others. The videos I posted have michael and bobby skating as well ans Angel. Im friends with the manager Dianne, friends with all the kids and parents. everyone there knows me ... Im sure I know you LOL

Here's me and Ronbow, I'm the big ugly one LOL

And here is Blake, Jodi, Andy, Me, A-Town Skater (Paul) then Scott and Angel
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:55 AM   #62
Ignatz
Brick House

I know some of those folks, that Andy is one incredible skater. I went to adult nite a couple of times, usually there Wed. nights and at some point on the weekend, summers I bump it up and try to get 3 skates in.
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:57 AM   #63
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

post a pic! I can see if I know you
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:25 PM   #64
Ignatz
Brick House

I don't recognize you, off-the-edge, but Ronbow knows me.

Last edited by Ignatz; June 4th, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #65
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilda View Post
I don't recognize you, off-the-edge, but Ronbow knows me.
Well you met us both yesterday!
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #66
Ignatz
Brick House

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post
Well you met us both yesterday!
I sure did, dude. I recognized you first because of the "wicked wheels" t-shirt, lol. You and OffTheEdge both have some seriously awesome footwork. re: footwork - that's why sometimes I do more with my arms - my legs are like cement (partly my skates fault and can I help it that I'll be 54 on Thursday?) . My dream skates are some new 911s, Mistral plates, and not sure what wheels (now I use Bones Elite 101a, fairly slippery).

Anyway, it was very nice to meet you both.
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #67
SK8-O-PEDIA
Derby Ref & Soul SK8ER

Default Go to Adult Soul Skate

After you have followed some folks in a line ask them if you can put your hand on their shoulder. It helps to feel their body move to the beat. So if you are skating behind put your right hand on the left shoulder of the person skating in front of you. Try not to look down at their feet too much. Instead, watch their body move up/down to the beat similar to basketball when you are trained to watch their torso to figure out which way they will break.

I have taught many people to shuffle in just one song using the line/hand on shoulder method. Once you have the basics you can begin doing variations. There are so many and the BPM of the song can determine what you feel like doing to the music.

Go to an adult soul skate if their is one in your area. You will get to see so many styles and steps. My skating improved dramatically when I started going to soul skates.
Beatkeeper 62mm 97A wheels cut down to 57mm
Bones Swiss Bearings
SK8-O-PEDIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #68
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

This is some of the stuff done in my area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VU0-...eUdaPtLEUgVDBE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGfxa...WXg-wKK4dXlMiu

http://www.youtube.com/user/sailcaptain

http://www.youtube.com/user/sailcapt.../6/ZiVrZAKgg_I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqxNVuzktPQ&lr=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6kq...9&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ffp5...ZWt5Og&lf=plcp
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #69
Philphine

found my home rink on you tube. a lot calmer and less crowded than i remember sundays nights being. i've been avoiding sunday (instead finding a late friday session i can hardly get to), but it's a day i'm off work and if it's not so crazy i should maybe give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok_rM...eature=related
Philphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:26 AM   #70
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Where are the White Boys / Fun

Hi

GO There..., On that Night..

And don't hurt them by skating too hard.

It looks like a tame place to me, with not much challenge other than skating with good teen skaters to that rap music. Actually I like the kids (two gals first) skating in the middle since they seem to have the most Wanbe Talent. Several of them in the middle look like they are working on new moves. Which is great. The others are coasting and nothing like Roller Bounce when it gets hardy.

I think I saw one white kid, geez..

BTW, A GREAT looking floor and great rink layout. If you like rap kind of stuff you can always pick up the speed by increasing the foot work. I know a gal who does this and a guy who is now dead from brain cancer. Miss him, he was fun.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; January 20th, 2012 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Small Add
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 01:28 AM   #71
okie

Thumbs up SO DAVE<If you want-a learn,do this!!

And we do it at warp 9 to Club Music BEAT.

First things first you can do it with anybody and people that you don't know. Will make you a better skater. Just git "behind" a skater and do it. There footwork!

Now I admit it does take a while sometimes to get the wallflowers to come out,but once they do,there leaders of the line. Some of our best line leaders are skinny women and they love it.

WE NEVER DO IT SIDE by SIDE! Always single file and ALL skaters follow the leader. The "lead skater" sets the pace and footwork. The skaters in line follow the leaders foot work all the way thru the line in time with the music.

If you don't like one line of footwork,(some are pretty advanced etc),you pull out and pick another line. Always several different lines going on each song.

This is one of the single most important things that keeps our adult nights going. We keep the slower skaters out of the way of the Rhythm lines.

Get with your rink manager and see if he will leave the outside lane open for a line of skaters keeping time with the music beat. We do it single file to mainly also leave a OUT if there is a crash etc.
okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:49 AM   #72
Tuesday Girl

These are some sisters that skate at my rink. I am the "step-sister" that has learned all of their shuffles now, but I don't go on Sunday mornings when usually all 3 of them are there, so I am not in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qieGQR2rlps
Old January 24th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #73
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Okie / Tuesday Show Your Future

Hi Again Philphine,

Now you are probably black like my buddy skater noted above, that I and others miss, who died from Brain Cancer. A Good Skater who owned a lot of good music and was a really nice guy.

Now when you go to this place you have to pick up the pace and do some training of those young males. You can see Tuesday's videos, fast backwards skating videos I asked for under session, Shuffle Skating under Session, and then finally Okie's write up. Okie has it right if you can pull it off. Multiple lines chasing each other in style like Tuesday's video.

Once you get them started on better footwork, patterned moves and speed you can back away, and the young will take it away. Eventually we older ones can not keep up. Heck they are lighter in weight.

Be that Old Guy who comes back to Skating, and spikes up the place.

P.S. I wrote before about this dad from I think Trinidad who had three sons. When he skated with them (teens) they had their moves all coordinated really fantastically. Now the sons couldn't go down to the floor and do a spin jump pop yet the dad could. It was a treasure chasing them on a quite crowded floor with teens.
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #74
Tuesday Girl

Default The Mary Mary

Here's another video from my rink of shuffle skating the Mary Mary. Although there are so many ladies, they're not all in a straight line. This is from the artistic club at my rink which I've never belonged, so I don't know if I know any of them. The 3 sisters that I've learned steps from do this shuffle, and I've learned it from them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-gQ-...eature=related
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #75
okie

Thumbs up Well You haven't seen anything till!!!!

You see the "FLEA HOP" I have only been to one rink that they do this.

The "OAKS" In Portland Oregon. It nuts.

You have to see it!! Somewhere there must be a video.
okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #76
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Flea Bop Hop

Yep Okie,

That Flea Bop Skate Style is quite amazing. Never could quite figure out some of the routines even when skating right next to them or chasing them just to watch. Also don't think that SailCaptain ever caught the action on Video since usually it was on one of the long walls just prior to a corner that they hit their routines.

They had to learn this when they were young guys or adults. Never saw it till I went to those NJ/PA Organ Skates.

They do use hand signals to stay footwork coordinated. The spin, the stomp, the jump when a short line of guys is doing the Flea Bop Hop really well, at speed, is pretty amazing stuff.

Old January 24th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #77
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
And we do it at warp 9 to Club Music BEAT.

First things first you can do it with anybody and people that you don't know. Will make you a better skater. Just git "behind" a skater and do it. There footwork!

Now I admit it does take a while sometimes to get the wallflowers to come out,but once they do,there leaders of the line. Some of our best line leaders are skinny women and they love it.

WE NEVER DO IT SIDE by SIDE! Always single file and ALL skaters follow the leader. The "lead skater" sets the pace and footwork. The skaters in line follow the leaders foot work all the way thru the line in time with the music.

If you don't like one line of footwork,(some are pretty advanced etc),you pull out and pick another line. Always several different lines going on each song.

This is one of the single most important things that keeps our adult nights going. We keep the slower skaters out of the way of the Rhythm lines.

Get with your rink manager and see if he will leave the outside lane open for a line of skaters keeping time with the music beat. We do it single file to mainly also leave a OUT if there is a crash etc.
okie
Okie,

What are some of the songs you guys shuffle skate to?
Old January 24th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #78
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
You see the "FLEA HOP" I have only been to one rink that they do this.

The "OAKS" In Portland Oregon. It nuts.

You have to see it!! Somewhere there must be a video.
okie
My rink "Holiday" do the "Flea Hop" too I know it's nuts,very hard and cool.