S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 23rd, 2017, 03:24 AM   #1
netplaceus
David Kennedy

Default Just How important is it that all 8 wheels spin the same?

I have found this to be almost a religion among many skaters that all of your wheels must spin perfectly free and be equal or there is something wrong.

My gut feeling is as long as it spins even a little after you let go it is enough and any differences will have a negligible effect on performance. But I don't know that for sure.

What I do know is the spacers provided from Roll-Line along with their wheels, Roll-Line "high end" bearings, and installed with a Roll-Line barring device never all spinn the same. Thought I can loosen (no longer fully tightened) the nut to "fix" the problem.

I have experienced the same thing with Rollerbones and Reds bearings without a spacer, although I can get them to all spinn free if the nut is loose enough.

But here is the thing: With the spacer (and somewhat uneven wheel spin sometimes) I never see shaft wear. Without the spacer I have noticed it is not uncommon at all. At least that is my experience.

Is perfect wheel spin really that important? It seems to me that the random
accumulation of dirt on your wheels probably has more impact then uneven wheel spin. And if you wheel is spinning on the shaft, what is the point of the bearings?
Old November 23rd, 2017, 04:24 AM   #2
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

It's whether or not they all spin the same under load that counts.
Who cares what they do unloaded?
Old November 23rd, 2017, 01:22 PM   #3
fierocious1

Default Not much...

If a bearing is grinding, its not a bearing any more... if it is spinning smoothly, thats all that matters. Wheels have more affect on roll than working bearings ever will.
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 03:23 PM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

Luckily this isnít a discussion about bearings, as we all know bones ceramics are the best bearings, itís about performance when properly fitted and torqued.

To be properly fitted, speed washers, which come in 7 or 8mm sizes and 1/2 or 1mm widths are placed on both sides of all bearings, and yes a spacer between bearings is fitted, itís not allowed to be to big or to small, but exact, a roll line plate with a roll line spacer will be exact, so, with speed washers and bearing spacers in place, the axle nut can be turned down and will have no effect on the spin of the bearing, butt, free spin of a bearing isnít going to determine how it spins under load.

Keep in mind, the axle is threaded, the nut is not going to be exactly 90 degrees to the axle, using speed washers allows the bearing to spin uneffected by the axle nuts misalignment.

As no one uses speed washers unless they race or ride a downhill skateboard, itís hard to comprehend how significant they are

Butt, if you use bones ceramic bearings....you will have the best possible spin, add speed washers and bearing spacers and it doesnít get any better
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 06:46 PM   #5
netplaceus
David Kennedy

"butt, free spin of a bearing isnít going to determine how it spins under load."

Good point!
Old November 23rd, 2017, 06:59 PM   #6
netplaceus
David Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
If a bearing is grinding, its not a bearing any more... if it is spinning smoothly, thats all that matters. Wheels have more affect on roll than working bearings ever will.
I agree, and this is why I use spacers. I know there is a lot of debate, hate of them. But I think (?) most of it comes from people using them on plates (maybe some wheels too) never designed for spacers.

By the way, if anyone knows how to remove bearings from wheels with spacers
let me know. It seems there is nothing to grab onto!
Old November 23rd, 2017, 07:15 PM   #7
netplaceus
David Kennedy

"Luckily this isn’t a discussion about bearings..."

Ha! I am still a newbie, but I know better then to go there

Last edited by netplaceus; November 23rd, 2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spell
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 10:26 PM   #8
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post

In the past I have been able to push the spacer aside slightly and press the bearing out, you have to work your way around the bearing and slowly work it out.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 10:59 PM   #9
fierocious1

Quote:
I agree, and this is why I use spacers. I know there is a lot of debate, hate of them. But I think (?) most of it comes from people using them on plates (maybe some wheels too) never designed for spacers.

I dont hate them, but they have their place and proper uses. Strengthening axles is the best use. My axles are strong enough and spacers in my case, are not needed.
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 11:35 PM   #10
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:

I remember a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer on a cement floor, extra bearings were at times deployed.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #11
netplaceus
David Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I remember a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer on a cement floor, extra bearings were at times deployed.
Actually this gave me an idea and it worked! A small screwdriver will catch the edge of the bearing just as you said.

Although it turns out the smallest tap (on carpet) was enough to make the spacer loose inside. Once the spacer was loose and could fall aside, my Roll-Line puller/extractor worked just fine. One you know the trick, it's all too easy!

Thanks for the tip, I never would have thought a screwdriver would catch that edge.
Old November 25th, 2017, 03:39 AM   #12
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
But I think (?) most of it comes from people using them on plates (maybe some wheels too) never designed for spacers.
The plate doesn't care whether you use spacers or not. It's oblivious.

You're right, though, some wheels are designed to need spacers, and many are not. Generally, it's the wheels with no hub that need them. Like the old Fo Macs, Metaflex, Bones, all the old vanathane wheels.

If the wheel has a hub of some sort, you'll have a harder time fitting spacers, because the hub has already decided what the bearing spacing is. If the spacer doesn't precisely agree with that distance, they don't work. And multiple wheels from the same package can have slightly different bearing spacings just due to production tolerances. Remember these are skate wheels, not rocket parts.

I completely agree that a properly fitted spacer is helpful. I also know how much work is involved in doing that for hubbed wheels, and you very quickly reach the point of diminished returns.