S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 25th, 2017, 09:56 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default Cushion tester

I built this tester for testing cushion configurations. To test shapes, lengths and combinations of cushions to see what really happens during ramp up. I am currently using 3/4" long cone cushions instead of the standard SG .550 tall + cones. But wanted a way to compare in the ranges of resistance I skate in. Anyway, I am using a burned up electric motor for a stable rotating axis, a machined truck to attach cushions and a KP to. The arm is one foot long center to center for attaching a digital scale to. With the other tester, 25 degrees of lean is getting close to a usable limit. I have a degree wheel on there so cushions can be observed at specific lean angles.
Some pics,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/435057...posted-public/

A goal in this test is also to find a good amount of preload with extremely low ramp up. Awesome turning with stability at speed.
enjoy....
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #2
quantoo

Default i did enjoy thanks

your the only 1 experimenting with a cushion tester that i know of .
Is that an electric motor? and how do you adjust the amount of pressure/ rotation.
Is it synumeric?
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 12:07 AM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
your the only 1 experimenting with a cushion tester that i know of .
Is that an electric motor? and how do you adjust the amount of pressure/ rotation.
Is it synumeric?
The motor is non-funcioning. It is only used as the axis for the arm to rotate on. Soon as I get the tension arm made and installed, videos coming...
The arm is rotated, the truck moves with it, but the shaft(KingPin) and cushions resist rotation. A scale at the end of the arm will be used to measure the resistance. So I can move the arm, say 10 degrees, measure resistance in pounds or whatever. Move it another 5 degrees and check again. As the resistance ramps up, the poundage goes up. Surprisingly the yellows with cups just flat out gave up and were nearly crushed at 25 degrees. Give me a week or so and I'll have the tension-er/scale in place and working.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 07:27 AM   #4
quantoo

Talking I'll give you 6 days only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
The motor is non-funcioning. It is only used as the axis for the arm to rotate on. Soon as I get the tension arm made and installed, videos coming...
The arm is rotated, the truck moves with it, but the shaft(KingPin) and cushions resist rotation. A scale at the end of the arm will be used to measure the resistance. So I can move the arm, say 10 degrees, measure resistance in pounds or whatever. Move it another 5 degrees and check again. As the resistance ramps up, the poundage goes up. Surprisingly the yellows with cups just flat out gave up and were nearly crushed at 25 degrees. Give me a week or so and I'll have the tension-er/scale in place and working.
Take your time im tying to merthfull.
The motor didnt seem to be connected up but it would be something i would use myself if it fit the bill quickly .not as if your selling a production run of these testers.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2017, 01:43 PM   #5
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
Take your time im tying to merthfull.
The motor didnt seem to be connected up but it would be something i would use myself if it fit the bill quickly .not as if your selling a production run of these testers.
Its like... hmmm I have low ramp up..... Yes but. Talking about it and proving it is rwo different things. In my spare time I'm building these tools. My friends that run cars a Bonnieville have a homebuilt waterbrake to test motor output. It sits in their shop, in a corner. When the time comes they put a motor on it to let the motor prove up modifications/changes to the already powerful engine. 700hp normally aspirated on an antique 6 cylinder truck motor is almost unbelievable.
Well, we can all talk about what our skates are capable of, but that doesn't necessarily mean that our mods are a good thing. So you chase a goal and then apply it in a test. Then apply it to the floor. Big difference.
A lot of cushion descriptions in the skate board industry are vague. What each type/shape is good for, strip away the unknowns.
Cushion shapes, heights and hardness help you control your skates, but not all skaters skate in the same places and types of skating.
I like carving through traffic and cranking up the speed sometimes. So Im out to find the limits of a well mannered cushion configuration for my application. So far I'm really liking tall cushion... so how far can I go cushion wise, where is my limit at?
Anyway. This tool will be able to actually show that binding can occur at much different plate angles. Then a person has better understanding because what you could not see while skating is now right in front of you.
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #6
Tislord

Following.
Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #7
fierocious1

Default update 12917

Radius plate mounted. It's function is to assure linear pulling force at the scale. Not shown is an arm that an eye bolt will used to put force to the scale. The eye bolt pulls the scale, the scale pulls a cable that runs around the radius plate, moving the arm. As the arm is moved toward the eye bolt mount, the cushions are compressed/distorted and trying to resist the movement. This resistance is measured on the scale. Since the center of the axis is app. 12 inches from the axis, the measurement will be in pound/ft.

Not long now! If I have enough time tomorrow, I could be finished....but my nice welding hood is at work.... not at home.... grrrr....!!! Maybe I can bear through it with a plain old backup hood... lol

On another project, I am already collecting parts for the wheel dyno. It will be a dyno, if I can configure the resistance to be read consistently. There are two ways to measure the roll of a wheel, timed or measure resistance. I was going for timed, but resistance measuring is only a step or two more involved.
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:00 PM   #8
fierocious1

Default update 121017 FINALL INSTALLMENT of tester build

Finally go it finished! Sorry for the mess around it, I am having to work indoors in a storage area we have. Using it right now for a makeshift work area.

This shows the completed mechanical linkage of the tester.

Tensioner arm and scale arrangement.

Radius arm and pull cable.

Truck/cushion/KP assembly. Kingpin rod is used as the fixed part that restricts and holds the cushions in place during the testing.

Indicator assembly. Photo is a little distorted for some reason. But as the cushion stack is assembled and compressed, I will be setting the arm to no slack movement. In other words no slop, snug with no flop in the arm assembly. Then the indicator is placed at zero, then everything lines up.
Thinking of putting a ball or something on the end for looking at the degree lines, but tired now and happy at least it works.

Interested in getting some readings in a few days. Going to gather up some various cushions to install into the tester, different shapes and sizes.

Anyway, just glad to have this one in working order now. I'm sure I could make a couple of mods but it is a working tester as is.

Ya'll enjoy!
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #9
amohrfeld

Now The real work starts. You'll have to take data for all the setups and plot them on a chart.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 01:38 AM   #10
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Now The real work starts. You'll have to take data for all the setups and plot them on a chart.
LOL, the suspense of it all!!! It won't take long to do it. I reworked the KP bolt from the first pic of it. The last pic shows it as pretty basic. Just unscrew the bolt on the end, just like a regular KP instead of reversed. I just don't have to lock it.
My goal is low ramp up with resistance in center position. Good control and not loose when centered up, easy low resistance lean over in the turns. Not going to be linear I don't think but lower pressures at 25 degrees will be nice. 25 is pretty far over but all the most used action happens at much less lean. So getting the sweet spot in between is really the goal. Also it has to be working in anyone's comfort level of hardness. If I can get my center up pressure to match my lean @ app 15 degrees, all will be well. My comfort level comes first!! LOL

The cushions should act similar on other than 30-46 degree kp plates.

But it's a combination, that is complicated. I still have one more thing to work with that has not been mentioned in a while. We were talking about the "floating caster axis" a while back. That needs to be proven as well. I change it on my skates during my tunes, but have yet to prove it with numbers. It is a minute shift. I think it can be proven but it will have to be done on the plate analyzer with a camera. Find the center point of between the cushions, fix an indicator to the truck or a mark, then set a needle at the mark to zero it. Swap cushions to see if the lean will move the truck off the needle setting. I can load the plates to any weight up to 600lbs. But 200lbs would work well I think.

This is about as far I think, as I need to go on plate and suspension testing. Any further would be just too much detail and the details that are like the difference between one bearing that is inexpensive and adequate vs a high dollar bearing.

Got to order more al bar....
Old December 11th, 2017, 02:02 AM   #11
fierocious1

Default Some of this

Is clarifying why some people break trucks...... The fixed systems other than DA45-DA30s Just cannot take advantage of all this. Fixed system meaning that the KP angle never moves, has no curve to it. Yes you can average cushion hardnesses by using two different hardness cushions on a truck. No problem there, but you cannot take advantage of the floating caster tune, at all.

Using same physically sized cushions on top and bottom of the truck is a huge advantage in tuning(DA45).