S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 15th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #1
hoohoorjoo

Smile Truck Options for Satellite Plates

Title says it all. Are there any truck options to replace the stock trucks? Also, are there any double action options that i just don't know about? My axles are loose in the OG plastic trucks and I might upgrade and just keep them if they don't sell soon. I was particularly curious about the older Ultimate aluminum trucks....
Thanks in advance!
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I used to use single action Laser trucks on my Satellite plates back in the day. I used the Satellite kingpin w/ the rest of the Laser hardware.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:52 PM   #3
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

You can actually do a d/a 45 on those. Use the Sure Grip D/A 45 trucks and BAM. Only issue is the pivot may pop out of the plate if the action is loose. Just Doc Sk8 up for the specifics.
Old November 19th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Just a few cooment on this.

First and foremost, the DA45 conversion lengthens the wheelbase. Can't say how much for sure because I have never had a Satellite that I was certain was OG to measure. I'm thinking about 3/4 of an inch. If you want to maintain your current wheelbase, you need a shorter plate.

Next, The front wheels will interfere with your toe stop if you run one. I have never tried to see if a cut way or other small stop could be used, I just no the bigger ones will hit. I don't use stops so it is a non player w/ me.

After that,The standard DA45 pivot pin will not work properly. It should be replaced w/ the big ball Chicago pivot used ob the Panther and Futura. Not easy to find but again doable.

So why go to all the trouble?? I have been playing w/ DA45 type actions since I got my first OG Snyder Royal in Y2K. This action has some interesting properties. One, it will behave much more like a traditional single action as far as speed of response. Two, they are also way easier to tune. Good cushions for standard SA plates are getting harder and harder to find, but the DA45s can use all sorts of other DA cushions. You are only limited by your imagination.

Because you can use almost any DA cushion on this action they are way easier to tune and tune to a level of control typically NOT obtainable w/a SA set up. You may think you have your SA sorted, but a DA45 will show you what you are missing. Being able to use different durometer cushions on either side of the truck makes for all sorts of possibilities.

Another addition to the tuning thing is changing to a reverse king pin. You are now able to lock the king pin in the plate and never loosen that nut. (My king pins are actually held in w/ blue Vibra Tite and the nut) Now you have a finer adjusting thread too since the Snyder Royal king pin I use is 3/8-24 tpi on the adjusting end. The adjusting nut now moved 33% less with each full turn.

So it can be done. I just happen to have a "few" extra Satellite base plates that would most likely be shorter than what you have to make the conversion easier to pull off.

One last thing. I would love to get my hands on a no kidding new pair of Satellites to measure the wheel base on. Just need one. Once I have the measurements of that plates wheel base, I can calculate the rest based on the measured plate length.
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #5
hoohoorjoo

Default I'm 99 percent sure....

....that my satellite trucks are orginal to the plate. They are all-plastic and the 7mm axles are fully threaded, identical to the plates I had back in '91(except for wheel base).
Old November 20th, 2017, 12:00 AM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
....that my satellite trucks are orginal to the plate. They are all-plastic and the 7mm axles are fully threaded, identical to the plates I had back in '91(except for wheel base).
Could very well be. I am more concerned about the cushions and associated hardware. Every complete Satellite I have ever found was different from the last in some way. Cushions smashed, different king pin lock nuts etc. I want a NOS pair to ensure the geometry is correct..
Old November 20th, 2017, 01:14 AM   #7
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Doc already ran down the double action options. They shorten the wheelbase almost an inch. I went from a size H to a D. The DA-45 version skates nice though!

You can replace the axles in the stock trucks. I've been known to shave off the little round nub on the end of the truck and spin on a stub cone when the axles get loose.

Black Diamond trucks are the only others that I'm aware of that fit, and they're a little scarce. Ultimate I/II trucks don't sit right, nor do Lasers really.
Old November 20th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Doc already ran down the double action options. They shorten the wheelbase almost an inch.

UH I think you meant shorten the plate length required?? The DA45 trucks increase the wheelbase over the stock trucks...

I went from a size H to a D. The DA-45 version skates nice though!

Especially when screwed to a Bont.

You can replace the axles in the stock trucks. I've been known to shave off the little round nub on the end of the truck and spin on a stub cone when the axles get loose.

Black Diamond trucks are the only others that I'm aware of that fit, and they're a little scarce. Ultimate I/II trucks don't sit right, nor do Lasers really.
There in lies the rub. I do not condone just putting something on that is close. If you cannot find the correct parts to fit your plates, it is time for a new plate, in my book.
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:26 PM   #9
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
UH I think you meant shorten the plate length required?? The DA45 trucks increase the wheelbase over the stock trucks...
Yeah, I wasn't clear. I meant to indicate that to maintain the current wheelbase, you had to go to a shorter plate. Mea culpa.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 05:05 PM   #10
hoohoorjoo

Default Thanks for the input!

I have some food for thought. Not sure if I even want to sell them now lol! But not sure if I wanna put any more time and $$$ in them, either. Decisions, decisions.....