S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old July 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Azzy

Post opinion on my new derby skates

Hello all, first post. I'm just getting into derby and got these as my first quads. I was wondering if anyone has opinions or has heard anything about these skates. Keep in mind they are my first pair. When I get to a better skater, I'll invest in nicer skates. Thanks!

http://www.lowpriceskates.com/index....OD&ProdID=1568

Oh yeah, the skates are Fugitive Slam.

Last edited by Azzy; July 5th, 2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add name of skates in body
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #2
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Hello all, first post. I'm just getting into derby and got these as my first quads. I was wondering if anyone has opinions or has heard anything about these skates. Keep in mind they are my first pair. When I get to a better skater, I'll invest in nicer skates. Thanks!

http://www.lowpriceskates.com/index....OD&ProdID=1568

Oh yeah, the skates are Fugitive Slam.
Those look quite respectable for the money. How do you like them? Comfortable? Fast? What more do you need? Happy skating Azzy.
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #3
Azzy

I actually haven't gotten them yet. I just ordered them today so I'm hoping it was a good purchase. I didn't try them on because there aren't any close places around here that sell quads. They're supposed to be here in 3-4 days, and I'm really looking forward to it. I also got pads and a helmet so I'm pretty pumped about getting all of my gear (I'm hoping it will all be here by Tuesday - there's a conditioning practice).
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #4
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

I must admit that I don't know this particular skate, but the specs makes me think it isn't worth the money. Sunlite plates are not ideal for derby, even for beginners.

You would do better to get a mid-range package with a 125 boot, aluminum plates, swiss bones, and tuner flat outs. Also, there is a derby discount at justskates.com if you want the code. 12% off.

This kind of thing from lowpriceskates looks good, but it won't last, and you'll be buying new skates soon anyway. You would be better off, IMO, getting a good set of skates from the start and save the money.
New Orleans, Louisiana
PowerSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #5
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I'm not very partial to synthetic boots or nylon plates, but the Sunlite plate (which is the plate on the skates you ordered) is a decent one if you go that route.

If you like derby and end up sticking with it, I suggest a leather boot/aluminum plate setup. They'll last longer and be a little more responsive.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #6
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

I would send these back ASAP and reorder some 125 boots with aluminum double action plates. IMO these are wasting your money as you will want to replace them in a few months if you stick with derby, or they will break.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Old July 7th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I'm curious, whats the need for aluminum plates for derby? Is it because you dont like the flex or that its not as durable? I wouldnt think for derby a responsive plate would not be necessary. I just know some derby girls that like the lighter plate since its less weight to lug around. My plastic plates for outside are OK, just they arent responisive so if I want to do artistic jumps, its kinda hard. Thats the only negative I have, OK for skating ramps as far as I know. Im not sure I would be happier with a metal one for that. Of course I might change my mind later.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #8
LISAFER144

i love my sure grip invaders. its a very versatile plate with a jump bar. something that is very inportant in figure skating but also in speed skating. i use to speed skate years ago and those were my first plates. i sold them to a lady who does roller derby and she was so ecstatic to find these plates that i have had for like 10 years! i recently got into roller derby and i bought myself a pair of the exact quads that i sold to her. the complete set with wheels and berings was $200. when my got those skates 10 years ago they were like $600!
LISAFER144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #9
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

The aluminum plate is not an ablosute requirement, but there is a much higher rate of plate breakage (that can end in a REALLY ugly fall) during our kind of practices.

Derby is hard on the body, and on the skate. Getting a nylon plate doesn't mean that you are for sure going to break it (and your neck) during practice or play, but if you are getting a whole new set up, why not get something that will give you maximum stability and longevity.

Yes, nylon plates are a tiny bit lighter, but the flex is not good in my opinion. I have nylon plates on one par and aluminum on the other. THe aluminum is much more responsive, especially when combined with swiss bones bearings and aluminum hubbed wheels.

Can you play derby with an inferior boot, nylon plates, cheap bearings, and wheels? Sure, but why would you want to? Why waste money on things you are going to outgrow or break quickly? Just get the good stuff to begin with, and it will last you.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #10
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I'm curious, do the reidell speed boots (125, 695) last longer, hold up better to abuse then the carerras? Are they as/more supportive for the foot? I guess if they hold up to derby, they would hold up to other abuse lol.

I guess weight plays importance with plates though. For me since I'm light, the flex doesnt bother me at all and isnt a problem. But its not as responsive if I want to make a sharp turn. I do enjoy the fact when I jump, theres no vibration. I know some derby girls that like a lighter skate and prefer these. But if the plate flexes a lot on you, I would think that might slow you down?

DONT get cheap wheels!! They can really mess up your skating. Trust me on this one. Dont wear a boot that doesnt fit right either. Thats why I like rollergirl since she is good about returns/exchanges.
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #11
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
I wouldnt think for derby a responsive plate would not be necessary.
Are you kidding me? The track is actually much tighter in turns than, say, the USARS quad 100m racing track is, which means that you need all the agility that you can get out of a plate.

Also, jammers, in particular need to be able to move all over the place to escape blocks form opposing players, so having a responsive plate is essential.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #12
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Are you kidding me? The track is actually much tighter in turns than, say, the USARS quad 100m racing track is, which means that you need all the agility that you can get out of a plate.

Also, jammers, in particular need to be able to move all over the place to escape blocks form opposing players, so having a responsive plate is essential.
But not as responsive as artistic I would assume? In artistic, you want something thats not squirrely, but much loser then other applications. Especially for figures. Its not about power and speed but control and accuracy. Skating on those tight circles isnt easy if not impossible on a plastic plate! But if you had such a responsive plate in vert, you could easily fly off the ramps and lose control. But I guess derby is in between vert and artistic? I dont see derby skaters on art plates, usually speed plates which are less responsive. Thanks for the info. I like to know everything about roller skating and equipment.
Old July 9th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #13
LISAFER144

i know that snyder makes an amazing dance plate.

Last edited by LISAFER144; July 9th, 2007 at 09:14 PM.
LISAFER144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #14
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

We aren't on art plates, but we do use double action trucks. Art plates tend to be much more expensive, for the relatively little added benefits to the derby skater. A good aluminum speed plate is best, with double action trucks. The cushions are personal preference, but for jammers, pivots, and power blockers, softer cushions are usually used to add even more response.

We do quite a lot of figure work in practice to be able to build ankle strength and be able to manouver where we need to on the right track. We do one foot edge work, circles, ribbons, etc. Without a responsive plate, derby would be impossible to play well.

We also practice jumps regularly (but not for form, just for hieght and stability) so that we can jump over a fallen player rather than do a complete pile up that can really get people hurt. Plus, if you can jump well, you are very secure on your skates--that is always good in derby.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #15
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSnatch View Post
We aren't on art plates, but we do use double action trucks. Art plates tend to be much more expensive, for the relatively little added benefits to the derby skater. A good aluminum speed plate is best, with double action trucks. The cushions are personal preference, but for jammers, pivots, and power blockers, softer cushions are usually used to add even more response.

We do quite a lot of figure work in practice to be able to build ankle strength and be able to manouver where we need to on the right track. We do one foot edge work, circles, ribbons, etc. Without a responsive plate, derby would be impossible to play well.

We also practice jumps regularly (but not for form, just for hieght and stability) so that we can jump over a fallen player rather than do a complete pile up that can really get people hurt. Plus, if you can jump well, you are very secure on your skates--that is always good in derby.
Hey, what do you do to gain more height? Just work on knee lift? I'm working on that now. Hey, this is great to learn!! Thanks.
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #16
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

Quote:
Hey, what do you do to gain more height? Just work on knee lift? I'm working on that now. Hey, this is great to learn!! Thanks.
leapers (dryland exercise where you start in a deep squat, then jump straight up in the air. You recover softly in the knees and end back in the original position.) do about a 100 a day and you will see a big difference.

Also, do plyometric exercises for fast twitch muscles. Jumping height is generated from your quads and from the fast twitch muscles in your calves. Using jumps from one foot to the other, or up stairs on one foot will help. You can get some platform shoes (not the heels, the ones that go on sneakers) that basketball players use, but I don't know how much that would help on skates.

On skates, you want to practice using your whole body to get height. Your arms and abs pull you higher. Then you want to bring your legs up and in, depending if you are just jumping, or jumping over something.

Finally, put an obstacle in your path for you to jump over (WEARING ALL YOUR PADS AND HELMETS) and keep practicing to get over the mental element that keeps you from going high. As you feel comfortable with it, raise the height of the obstacle gradually.

We practice jumping over cones, a bar on stands like a linbo bar, and of course, people laying on the ground. You are really motivated to jump high enough not to kick or kill them, especially if they are friends!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #17
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSnatch View Post
leapers (dryland exercise where you start in a deep squat, then jump straight up in the air. You recover softly in the knees and end back in the original position.) do about a 100 a day and you will see a big difference.

Also, do plyometric exercises for fast twitch muscles. Jumping height is generated from your quads and from the fast twitch muscles in your calves. Using jumps from one foot to the other, or up stairs on one foot will help. You can get some platform shoes (not the heels, the ones that go on sneakers) that basketball players use, but I don't know how much that would help on skates.

On skates, you want to practice using your whole body to get height. Your arms and abs pull you higher. Then you want to bring your legs up and in, depending if you are just jumping, or jumping over something.

Finally, put an obstacle in your path for you to jump over (WEARING ALL YOUR PADS AND HELMETS) and keep practicing to get over the mental element that keeps you from going high. As you feel comfortable with it, raise the height of the obstacle gradually.

We practice jumping over cones, a bar on stands like a linbo bar, and of course, people laying on the ground. You are really motivated to jump high enough not to kick or kill them, especially if they are friends!
Thanks! You can also get a grind rail, just that wont move if you miss lol. Thats what I'm working on. Need to get up a foot high, thats my goal.

I think my freakin hip flexors need strengthening. Cause once I get speed for the height on the ramps, its mostly lugging my knees way up. So what I'm doing is sitting on the very edge of my table with my body almost perpendicular to the ground and have 10 lb weights on each foot. I then bring my knees up to my chest and crunch up. I also do a lot of sit ups now lowering legs to the ground, etc. I'll get there!

So 100 a day? No rest? I'll do it if it works!!! But no rest? Usually I do strength stuff every other day so I know I can go full out and recover. Yes, need to put on the calender a day or two to run, plyos, jumps etc. For some reason when I say I'll do it, thats the day I take off lol. OK, no more!!!! So how often for the plyos? Thanks!! I'll be in derby shape for the ramps in no time lol.

BTW, I saw something on jumpsoles-platform shoes. Just I dont think that would really apply to skating. The foot is kinda flat for the most part.

Oh Azzy, sorry for hijacking your thread lol! I cant stick to a topic really.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #18
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Hey, where can you get stands for a limbo bar or what are good ideas? Think a wooden upside down T thing with some notches on one side would do? This would be a good idea since I already have wood, nails and a long 3/4 inch square pole I can use. I have one large coffee tin but not two now, but something like that could work I'm guessing?

But I only did 30 leapers yesterday. Powersnatch, come train me lol! I'll get there........ Gosh, didnt realize how out of shape I am. Doing low rep high weight lifting builds muscle but doesnt give one any stamina.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #19
rwsz

Quote:
Hey, where can you get stands for a limbo bar or what are good ideas? Think a wooden upside down T thing with some notches on one side would do? This would be a good idea since I already have wood, nails and a long 3/4 inch square pole I can use. I have one large coffee tin but not two now, but something like that could work I'm guessing?

But I only did 30 leapers yesterday. Powersnatch, come train me lol! I'll get there........ Gosh, didnt realize how out of shape I am. Doing low rep high weight lifting builds muscle but doesnt give one any stamina.
well you need to lose weight lol, joking of course. dont overtrain and lose anymore.
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #20
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
well you need to lose weight lol, joking of course. dont overtrain and lose anymore.
Well, in the last year I've gained a good 10+ lbs of pure muscle!

Hard work and good eatin did me good lol. I'm MEAN now lol.