S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old October 4th, 2014, 05:10 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh

Default shifting/turning on one foot

Question...how do you shift from forward to backward on one foot, or vice versa? Where does your weight go? Or more important, what foundation moves do you need to learn before learning this? Today started practicing Special through cones. I tried to learn Brush today, but I need professional help. About the shifting/turning on one foot, not sure if it's super advanced, or is this something anyone can learn?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

forwards to backwards is easily done with pressure exerted on the toe while the heel swings around, backwards to forwards its heel pivots as the toe swings back around. you may produce as much actal lift as you want, or keep it really low to look like a flat shift.

You can do the opposite but its quite a bit harder as the amount of movement required by the pivoting wheel is greatly increased to keep up with even a slow pace/speed essentialy your wheel must preform a "K" turn, and thats taxing on ya.

You can flat shift your feet as well by alleviating pressure off a foot and flipping your foot around. essentailly is a "no height jump" and you litterally keep your foot just resting on the ground while the shift is done just before catching your weight. if done right its almost unseen- the jumping portion of the move that is-

hope that helps.
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh

Thanks, that really helps. I still haven't tried it yet, but plan to tomorrow. The going is slow and robotic, but great with the Special, and I think I'll put off the Brush until my skills are better (maybe next year). Tomorrow I'll try the one foot shifting thing and since I'll be inside I'll work on my footgun (I never mind falling on a nice waxed floor). Any advice would be appreciated there too. Thanks again.
Old October 11th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #4
jotson

Here's the old thread from April http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50750

Includes link to instructional video at Depew Roller Rink.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh

That video really helped. Now I at least know how to start. Thanks!
Old January 8th, 2015, 03:17 PM   #6
SVT CAMR
At the rink!

There are 2 ways I like to do it. I still need to make it better though. Practice practice!
For miltiple shifts. (the only way I can do it right now)
Coming out of a backward skate to front skate using that force going onto the inside edge making a sharp arc at the end of tha tight arc leaning forward putting pressure on the ball of my foot then rotating my skate and hips to the outside edge of the skate. At that point you will be on the outside edge going into another arc. If you want to do multiple shifts or 3turns as they say in figure skating you will need to keep the acr tight and use your free leg to keep you propelling along with you hips. Where your hips go your shouldrers go.

Another way which is the same but slower and for a single shift. (Just screwing around grooving to the music)
Skating forward....1 foot..... Inside edge making a sharp "c" arc almost coming to a stop but right at the point before stopping you lean on the ball of your foot and again rotate the skate and your hips to the outside edge making a wide arc. You will be leaning quite a bit on the outside edge of the skate which will allow you to propell yourself out of the turn.

Here is a video of some edge work. When I skate I do most of these exercises to warm up. These are the basic foundation moves you asked for.
http://youtu.be/27Vyw_X04Y8. Found this to be the best video for exploring edges.

Last edited by SVT CAMR; January 8th, 2015 at 04:47 PM.
SVT CAMR is offline   Reply With Quote