S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 5th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #1
gopherfan

Default Chicago IM course change

The Chicago IM website shows they are rerouting the course again this year. It has been a few years since I've been there, but I see a couple potential problems. There is a U-turn that I recall being tight at speed. There is also an 80 degree right turn near the parking area. I recall the turn to be after a significant downhill. There are multiple other turns that I don't recall how tricky they might be. Each has to be repeated six times. I'd love to hear that I'm wrong, but this course looks a little too technical for my enjoyment.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #2
bjvircks
Major Trouble

link won't work...
photobucket has turned into photof***it
see wire's comments up in the 'About This Forum' section about the photobucket shakedown

second try:

Last edited by bjvircks; July 6th, 2017 at 03:55 PM.
bjvircks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #3
gopherfan

Here is an elevation profile (except MapMyRide wouldn't let me cut through the parking lot). The two obvious downhills end with 90 degree right hand turns. My memory is the steepest downhill turn will be very tough even with braking. The U-turn was part of a time trail years ago and will require braking. I can see why they couldn't reverse this course as the first left turn after the start would be an impossible downhill right hand turn in reverse. I'm sure they've done their best to make the most skateable course, but I'll be curious how it works out. Outside those three turns, I find the course interesting.
Old July 7th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #4
blizzard77

Looks like the water stop is in the middle of a downhill...
blizzard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #5
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I am not entirely excited about this change. They didn't ask any of the local skaters. This will make the race very technical. Also, all the races start at 7:30 AM this year. This could create issues with the pro groups who will be skating with all of the rest of us.
Old July 7th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #6
gopherfan

The website still lists a separate 9:55 start for the elite division.
Old July 7th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #7
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Still presents a problem on a tight course with slower skaters. The registration seemed to suggest everyone started at 7:30, however, I opted for the rec wave this year.
Old July 7th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #8
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
I can see why they couldn't reverse this course as the first left turn after the start would be an impossible downhill right hand turn in reverse.
Naw, I accidently turned there once when I was following a skater who I thought knew where he was going. LOL

But yeah, it was fast and tight. He suddenly turned and I suddenly went with him.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #9
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
I am not entirely excited about this change. They didn't ask any of the local skaters. This will make the race very technical.
Isn't Peter Starykowicz still the race director? He's a local skater.

Don't you and Team Rainbow hold practices there? Have you taken a good look at those two right handers that gopherfan is concerned about since the changes have been made?

I'm thinking the one near the parking garage might not be so bad since it's near the top of the hill. The one off Huntington might not be that bad either because I don't remember that hill being all that steep.

I'm not sure though.
Old July 8th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #10
blizzard77

Rainbo just found out this week, too--there's been no mention of it until somebody randomly noticed the online map had changed. A group of us attempted to skate part of the course this morning, but got booted by security. Grrr.

Neither right hand turn is that sharp, though the one off Huntington I think I'll need to slow down for. Note: there are places where the pavement is quite rough: gravel, smaller holes, grass between pavers, especially on those loops around the west parking lots, the loop by Jersey's restaurant, and the u-turns. No new tar snakes that I saw, though some of the larger potholes from last year have been patched recently.

Anybody have an answer on the 7:30 vs 9:55 elite/advance start times? 9:55 is in bold font...?

Last edited by blizzard77; July 9th, 2017 at 12:39 AM.
blizzard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #11
kufman

This new course looks like a disaster. There is a rather steep hill just as you pass the parking garage (going south) and you have to make a right turn! They better mark the course way better than in the past! Lots of bidirectional traffic on narrow roads.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #12
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I'm thinking the one near the parking garage might not be so bad since it's near the top of the hill. The one off Huntington might not be that bad either because I don't remember that hill being all that steep.

I'm not sure though.
I recall the the parking garage turn as pretty steep, though it is possible the worst is if you continued down the hill. I remember this as a few times I put on my skates in the parking garage and rolled down to the start/finish area. The nearest view from Google maps is from Lakewood. You see the road disappear downwards. I'm inclined to agree with you about the Huntington turn, though I think we've always skated up that hill which may be a deceiving interpretation of how it is in reverse. If skaters get the whole road, as in the past, then there will be plenty of room to navigate the turn.
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #13
kufman

Quote:
I recall the the parking garage turn as pretty steep, though it is possible the worst is if you continued down the hill. I remember this as a few times I put on my skates in the parking garage and rolled down to the start/finish area. The nearest view from Google maps is from Lakewood. You see the road disappear downwards. I'm inclined to agree with you about the Huntington turn, though I think we've always skated up that hill which may be a deceiving interpretation of how it is in reverse. If skaters get the whole road, as in the past, then there will be plenty of room to navigate the turn.
One of the Rainbow guys is claiming that the hill starts after the turn off. I just didn't remember it that way. I only have to go around it 3 times this year so not as many chances to crash.
Old July 20th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #14
Jim

I think all downhill turns on this course will be quite skateable even if wet. The biggest hazard I see with downhill turns is the usual with skaters going downhill at different speeds. Probably the biggest factor affecting downhill speed is wheel size, and we can expect sizes from 70mm to 125mm.

Everybody be careful as always!
Old July 20th, 2017, 02:37 AM   #15
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Lots of bidirectional traffic on narrow roads.
Yeah, I know. That reminds me of a comical incident at the Battle at Bear Creek which is held on the typical [somewhat narrow] 15 MPH park roads. I was about to pass a skater who was about to pass another skater. She yelled out " Passing on your left!", I took a chance and yelled "Comin' up the middle!", and just as I said that I heard a voice behind me yell "I'm goin' to the right of the guy in the blue shirt!".... Yikes! ... So for a brief period in time there were four of us skating abreast with no room for error, but we all kept our cool, nobody got tangled up, we got through it and skated happily on.

Stay cool, stay safe!
Old July 22nd, 2017, 01:11 PM   #16
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Wheel Choice??
Do folks think the course might be wet or damp at 7:30 am? Forecast looks like should be OK but dew fall may happen.

Since I am in no condition to 'compete' this race this year and do not wish to endure heat of the later Advanced start time I'm going to do the Rec/Fit but concerned about slipping out on the decending turns.

I'm bringing 125 hardcore as 1st choice.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:43 PM   #17
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
Wheel Choice??
Do folks think the course might be wet or damp at 7:30 am? Forecast looks like should be OK but dew fall may happen.

Since I am in no condition to 'compete' this race this year and do not wish to endure heat of the later Advanced start time I'm going to do the Rec/Fit but concerned about slipping out on the decending turns.

I'm bringing 125 hardcore as 1st choice.
There has been a ton of rain lately so there is a possibility of some puddles near the sides of the road. The complex also has a sprinkler system around the "horse shoe" portion so there may be a little dampness from that. Here is what Roger Olson had to say about the course.

"It's turning out to be a beautiful day and a half minutes states for the Chicago in-line marathon tomorrow morning👍 Paul and I were out on the course today sweeping up the corners pushing out some water pockets draining water trying to get it safe for tomorrow's racing🙈 see you on the start line🌈"

If there is any water from over night rains, it will most likely be in the south-west portion near the 180 degree turn around.

I will be skating on MPC Black Magic wheels (110mm) but I have Storm Surges just in case it is raining when the race starts.

Good luck and see everybody tomorrow!
Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:52 PM   #18
gopherfan

Here are the results. There were around 150 skaters between all distances.
Old July 24th, 2017, 02:31 AM   #19
kufman

Quote:
Here are the results. There were around 150 skaters between all distances.
Ya, probably not the "2nd largest" in the country anymore.
Old July 24th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #20
sxevegan

The course was above my expectations. I thought it was actually a lot of fun. Other than the one parking lot from hell, the course wasn't too rough.

Hopefully they have the race again next year. With a decreasing turnout each year, I don't really know how long they will keep it alive. I wonder what the 2nd largest marathon is now. There are some fairly big half marathons and ultra-marathons, but not too many 26.2 mile races anymore.
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote