S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old May 12th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #1
Lithium_moon

Default Advice on new set up. Haven't skated since 03

As the tittle says.. I am getting back into speed skating. Well, trying to. So I need some help. I was leaning into the thought of simmons boots with some EO frames. Wheels.. no idea.

Here is the 2nd part, My husband which has only skated on my old Verducci corsa's with my mapple claps (his feet is small) would like to move up as well. He has not skated much at all. But is eh ok on my old ones.

So recommendations for two or some direction to look into if it's not too much trouble. One beginner, and me with 8 years skating, 4 years on inlines. with a huge gap of lazy.

EDIT: We will be mostly skating outdoors for now..
Lithium_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 07:29 AM   #2
onurleft

Boot's, get what fits.

Frame, because you mentioned EO, carbon H3 2x125+110
http://www.eoskates.com/Store.php?c=11&p=2504742
- this one's shorter 12.6" length and lower (44mm front) deck height should be better for getting you back into inline then jumping into 3x125mm.

Wheels, see 125mm thread http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54300
- most of the 125mm wheels are also available in 110mm
onurleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #3
kufman

If you last skated in 03, then I would recommend starting out on something that is lower to the ground than 125's or 110's. Just my personal opinion, but I would start out on something like a 4x100 and work your way up to 125's. You can't go wrong with EO or Simmons if they fit you correctly.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #4
shesk8

coming from 5x80 (maple claps), I can suggest sticking initially with 4x100 (as a female skater) ,and not trying to force the larger wheels upon yourself if skills are not there. The larger wheels skates are heavier, have longer turning radius, and can feel sluggish underfoot. If you are able to muscle them, more power to you! Also, what comes into play with frame size is your height, shoe size and technical abilities. You can always resell the 4x100 gear later on after you've adjusted to the higher height, and feel of bigger wheels and longer frames. The EO's are very nice, light, but no need to break the bank on the first pair of skates returning to the sport. Re: boots , I agree with the comments above in "finding boots that fit very well". From there matching up wheels & frames is not so critical.

For your hubby, same scenario. Let him work his way up to larger frames & wheels as his technique improves. He may struggle with transitioning from the 5x80 to 4x100, in just responding to the significant height difference underfoot. I would suggest hunting down a coach or professional skate instructors in your area (or attend a inline speed clinic) to assist in shortening the learning curves on bigger wheels & frames. welcome back!
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 06:17 AM   #5
Lithium_moon

Wow, thank you all for suggestions. I am going to look into 100's or 110's. Same for the other half.

I'm keeping my options open on boots , frames and all. I will be looking into that wheel thread for sure. Thank you.

As for coach and such. Closet would be in Kansas City. A hour drive there. However pretty sure I can get that worked out somehow.
Lithium_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #6
kufman

Keep us updated and let us know if you have any more questions
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote