S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 27th, 2019, 09:05 PM   #1
zebra1922

Default Broken, grrrr

Having a little practice around the rink before my lesson yesterday and felt a click in my right boot. Moved the foot around a bit and the click still there so I skate off to tighten something up only to find the plastic has cracked on the sole around the plate (hence the click), but also all the way down the inside of the boot near the sole. A total right off.

Lesson was then a bit tricky as I spent most of the time trying to figure out how to skate with a different style of boot (artistic vs hockey) and sticky wheels.

I suppose every cloud......this means a shopping opportunity!

I've been having a good browse at artistic skates as I'd like something that is more manoeuvrable than the hockey boots I was using previously. Looking at something like the Riedell 120 if I can raise the funds/justify the cost, of a Rookie Classic if I can't. Not much on eBay in my size right now but I'll keep an eye out.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:21 PM   #2
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
I've been having a good browse at artistic skates as I'd like something that is more manoeuvrable than the hockey boots I was using previously. Looking at something like the Riedell 120 if I can raise the funds/justify the cost, of a Rookie Classic if I can't. Not much on eBay in my size right now but I'll keep an eye out.
Sorry about your skate breaking! That's no fun!

If you are looking for something more maneuverable you might consider a lower cut "speed' style boot.

Two reasons.

Lower cut allows more freedom of movement with very little downside. No leather boot is going to give you significant "ankle support". Unless you like the "rhythm style" turned down upper why have the extra weight?

Second is the tall heel of a art skate like the 120. Since you are used to a lower heel on your hockey boots why go for a feature that makes it easier to get on your toes? I have found the lower the heel The more comfortable I am.

Enjoy your shopping!

Old April 4th, 2019, 10:56 PM   #3
zebra1922

Ive gone with rhythm dance skates. Some Riedell Citizen with 62mm/85a wheelsb(man made upper) for outdoor, and Riedell Uptown on a 120 Leather boot Radar Riva 57mm/96a wheels for outdoor.

Really good combo so far. I wanted a helped skate to help the dance part, I also didn't want to have to keep changing wheels to 2 pairs is a real bonus (good deal from Skatebritain.net on the Citizen, imported the Uptown, even with the exchange rate and VAT still cú70 cheaper than UK prices.

Little tip, you will all know this but I didn't know a jam plug is not a toe stop. Luckily my local skate shop is a superb little treasure troves with great staff and they hassle 5/8 thread toe stops in stock. (Thank you 5thblockerskates).
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote