S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 13th, 2019, 06:56 PM   #1
Sylvaink

Question What kind of set up to downhill?

I'm not sure to post in the good part of the forum

I would like to try to do some downhill with my rollerskates.
- What type of wheels should I use? What hardness? What diameter?
- What kind of cushions? What hardness?
Thank you for your answers
Sylvaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 07:58 AM   #2
HeBeGB

Default Opening a can of worms

What weight are you?
What plates are you running?
What is the biggest diameter wheels you can run without wheelbite?
What sort of surface for downhill?

and that is just the start.
Old February 14th, 2019, 05:33 PM   #3
fierocious1

Default A plate that

Handling can be tuned and adjusted down in response to prevent loss of control at higher speeds.
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:06 PM   #4
Sylvaink

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
What weight are you?
What plates are you running?
What is the biggest diameter wheels you can run without wheelbite?
What sort of surface for downhill?
and that is just the start.
Hi HeBeGB, thank you for your post!

My height is 85 kg / 187 lb for 1.80m (71 inch).

My plates are Roll Line Blaster ((https://rollerderby.roll-line.it/product/blaster/ – Elastomer cushions – Truck with steel axles – Ø 8mm axles)

I used to ride in the street and on the road with Atom Road Hog wheels (https://atomskates.com/products/atom-road-hog-outdoor — Size: 66mm x 42mm (2.6 x1.65 inch (the soft 78A durometer helps absorb small vibrations and overcome rough outdoor surfaces - Sidewalk, Boardwalk, Asphalt).

The surface would be asphalt on open road.

Thanks
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:09 PM   #5
Sylvaink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Handling can be tuned and adjusted down in response to prevent loss of control at higher speeds.
I'm not sure I understand correctly. Could you be more explicit, please? Thank you.
Old February 14th, 2019, 06:56 PM   #6
HeBeGB

You are on one of the best easily available wheels for outdoor performance, the only downside I have found is durability (a friend destroys a set in a night of roadskating). There are other similar/better options, but they are generally either Custom or Discontinued wheels
Old February 14th, 2019, 08:15 PM   #7
BigFoot

Say, what’s more exciting than bombing hills? …NOTHING!

“The time has come to party on the concrete wave (or asphalt wave) and shred your arse off!” - BigFoot

I have definite ideas on how best to do it. Other skaters may have different ideas. I hope they post them because I don’t think there is one right way. Ultimately, the “best way” is what works for you. For me, I took ideas from downhill longboarding and used the trial-and-error method to adjust things and change out parts until I was happy.

I should say that I am not a high-speed downhill guy. I am a medium-speed downhill guy. I skate on hills that have a moderate slope. I do the same when I snow ski. I choose Blue Square runs over Black Diamond runs. It is a more relaxed pace. And BTW, downhill skating is A LOT like downhill skiing. Slalom, stop, edges, stance, balance – all very similar to skiing.

Anyway, you did not ask about plates, but FYI, I use a Sure-Grip Avanti Plate. This is a double-action plate with a 10° kingpin angle. It is a very stable. I use to skate on single-action trucks, which were even more stable. The last time I checked, there were very few single-action plates available. Single-action plates are hard to turn and more stable, which would make them a better downhill plate. They track straight ahead unless, and until, you do a hard lean of your foot. Derby skaters make sharp turn at relatively low speed, so they tend to like larger kingpin angles, some as big as 33°. They turn easy, but you lose stability with big angles. At high speed – I would say anything above 10 m.p.h. – the big-angled trucks can start oscillating uncontrollably back and forth. If you have ever ridden a short Penny skateboard at high speed you will experience the same oscillation. Mood: yikes!

So to carry this idea of stability even more, I choose the hardest cushions. For my plates these were 93A hardness (red color). I don’t want power stearing, twitchy wheels, or that loosey goosey feel of soft cushions. I want stability, I want them to track straight, and I want them to ignore any pulls from road imperfections, I want them to ignore any slight foot movements. Just roll straight, dammit!

Wheels. You need big wheels, 70mm tall or more. They roll better over rough roads. Make sure your plates allow enough room for them, otherwise you could get wheel bite. I use 76mm Landyachtz Zombie Hawgs. They are 86A hardness. Softer wheels with a lower hardness will greatly smooth out the road, but they don’t roll as fast. More importantly, softer wheels grip the road too much and are less able to slide. You want some slide because that is how you brake – you turn up into the hill, right? Harder wheels slide better when turning (slaloming). That sliding during a slalom is one of biggest thrills of downhill skating, and is easily controlled by how sharply you turn and how much of your weight you throw into it. So why would you want to reduce sliding with a soft wheel? F that. I would prefer a slightly harder wheel of 90A – 92A, but it hard to find them in a tall wheel. I should point out that Hawgs, and many other longboard wheels, are pretty wide for skates. If I remember right, the Hawgs are 46mm wide. That is a lot of unnecessary weight and overhang out the sides. I cut off the outside of mine so that they are 32mm wide. Much better that way.

You go, Mr. Sylvaink!
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2019, 11:17 PM   #8
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvaink View Post
I'm not sure I understand correctly. Could you be more explicit, please? Thank you.
DA45s are tuneable. Going fast requires stability. So with correct tuning plate response can be tailored to your requirements. Respose can be slowed down then slowed down more if needed. Right out of the box no plate will be ideal and will have to be tuned, SG DA45s have a very wide range, lots of plates just can't be tuned as well.
Old February 15th, 2019, 03:42 AM   #9
wired

Quote:
Using harder cushions with more compression will make the plate less able to turn which increases stability. This does decrease one's ability to make turns.

Going downhill is a lot of fun! Scrubbing off speed becomes vital for self preservation. Bigfoot's description, "...downhill skating is A LOT like downhill skiing. Slalom, stop, edges, stance, balance – all very similar to skiing.", is exactly correct. On really steep hills I go even a bit further by turning uphill and doing a loop once I exceed my target velocity.

My fave outdoor wheel are Krypto Route 70s. Big, heavy, soft, clunky, durable and reasonably priced.
Old February 17th, 2019, 02:34 PM   #10
Sylvaink

And what do you thoink about use bigger wheels in back and smaller in front? Is it a good choice ?
Old February 17th, 2019, 03:00 PM   #11
fierocious1

Quote:
And what do you thoink about use bigger wheels in back and smaller in front? Is it a good choice ?
Not a good idea....
Old February 17th, 2019, 03:08 PM   #12
CNQuadSkater

I used quad speed plate with 75mm、78A wheels.
CNQuadSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 03:10 PM   #13
CNQuadSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNQuadSkater View Post
I used quad speed plate with 75mm、78A wheels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI_jTnsMPdM&t=46s

https://www.facebook.com/10002491210...3246448849089/

It's my vedio.
CNQuadSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 08:07 PM   #14
nickajshelden
Blades

I didn't research it much before finding a setup, but I've been really happy equiping everything I have with the https://www.suregrip.com/product-p/a85.htm sure grip aerobic outdoor wheels. dirt cheap (as someone else said, you will go through them rather fast), grip well, come in various colors, and I like the rounded edge. They are a good softness and diameter for all round outdoor skating. watch out for sharp edges of wheels, those can trip. I use the same bushings indoor and outdoor.
I do a LOT of outdoor skating on these wheels
Old April 5th, 2019, 04:02 AM   #15
JorisKB

We actually uses specific skates for real downhill skating.

https://youtu.be/cbwQkX_T0o4

https://vimeo.com/107151520

Inline shells (or rink hockey boots) with large trucks (Toto Plates, or skate board trucks) and longboard wheels.

( Les ricains connaissent rien au patinage en exté de toute façon :P )
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote