S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
watsits
Old Fart

Default Pacer Crown Plates

Hi Doc I know you're not a fan of Pacer stuff but I have a friend who has a set of Pacer Crown plates that her late mum brought for her and has asked me if I can refurbish them as she wont part with them for anything.
So Questions are what pivot cups would fit these and also what cushions would fit. What amazes me is she is still flying around with things in this condition?
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
watsits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

I do believe dvw will know the answers to this one. If he does not chime in in the next day or so, feel free to bug him.
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #3
watsits
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I do believe dvw will know the answers to this one. If he does not chime in in the next day or so, feel free to bug him.
Thanks doc The bearings have cleaned up a treat even the plates are looking slightly better. I'm still wondering how she was skating them in this condition?
Old June 17th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Poobah

If the hair was greasy enough, perhaps it served to lubricate them? If there was hairspray or gel/mousse, that could act like LocTite...
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #5
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default You rang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsits View Post
So Questions are what pivot cups would fit these and also what cushions would fit.
It will be no surprise to know that Pacer pivots fit. But nothing else, I'm afraid. I have some I'd gladly send you if we can find a way to get them there without it costing a king's ransom.

For cushions, just about any 14mm barrell will work. The Sure Grip supers should fit, and you'd have the option for a conical lower then. I also have some of the OEM rubber ones, but I would dissuade you from using them if you could avoid it.

Snyder reverse kingpins will fit also, and will get you out of the screwdriver business for good.

The plate is otherwise non-spectacular, but it will indeed take on a lovely shine if polished on a muslin wheel with some jeweler's rouge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsits View Post
What amazes me is she is still flying around with things in this condition?
Wow, those take the cake for largest collection of rink scuzz. I shudder to know what the rest of the rink looks like.
Old June 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #6
watsits
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
It will be no surprise to know that Pacer pivots fit. But nothing else, I'm afraid. I have some I'd gladly send you if we can find a way to get them there without it costing a king's ransom.

For cushions, just about any 14mm barrell will work. The Sure Grip supers should fit, and you'd have the option for a conical lower then. I also have some of the OEM rubber ones, but I would dissuade you from using them if you could avoid it.

Snyder reverse kingpins will fit also, and will get you out of the screwdriver business for good.

The plate is otherwise non-spectacular, but it will indeed take on a lovely shine if polished on a muslin wheel with some jeweler's rouge.

Wow, those take the cake for largest collection of rink scuzz. I shudder to know what the rest of the rink looks like.
Thanks I just received a PM but will let you know. The rink we skate at starts very clean to be honest but, is full of kids, very few adults skating. She is one of those skaters the wheels roll so it must be fine types and the bearings had never been cleaned in around 3 years the time she got some new wheels. It looks like the action has never been altered since the day they came out the factory? I asked and just got a blank look and a oh can you.
Old April 5th, 2019, 09:46 PM   #7
drasp

Howdy All! First post. Sorry to bring back a Zombie thread, but found this forum trying to locate info on these Pacer Crown plates! I’m new to quad skating, decided to go out and find a pair of skates my size on my local CL, ended up with these:

They’re my size, previous owner said they were put together for her husband in the ‘90s. I wanted something solid & USA made, howd I do!? Skated them for the first time the other night, different than rentals, felt fast & smooth. Not sure if the trucks are set up right or not. And they need some break-in, I’d guess. . .
drasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 04:40 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up I'd say

Ya done good.
Old April 9th, 2019, 01:15 AM   #9
drasp

Found the pivot cups crumbled, ordering new cups + Shure-Grip Super cushions!

Any tips on what folks use to adjust flat head kingpins? GIANT screwdriver!? LOL
Old April 9th, 2019, 05:03 PM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Ditch the king pins. The thread is 3/8 16 UNC. Get a bolt @ the hardware.
Old April 10th, 2019, 02:08 AM   #11
drasp

Quote:
Ditch the king pins. The thread is 3/8 16 UNC. Get a bolt @ the hardware.
Will do!
Old April 21st, 2019, 12:34 AM   #12
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Ya done good.

What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasp View Post
Found the pivot cups crumbled, ordering new cups + Shure-Grip Super cushions!

Not surprised at all. You'll like the upgrade.

Quote:
Any tips on what folks use to adjust flat head kingpins? GIANT screwdriver!? LOL

Chuck 'em. They're soft, they bend easily, and the slots aren't very deep.

I'd go with some of the newer hollow steel Snyder kingpins and a nylock. No more screwdriver ever.
Old April 22nd, 2019, 01:54 PM   #13
drasp

Thanks for the reply dvw!!!

I picked up some Riedell/PowerDyne “Magic Cushions” as that’s what my local shop had on hand. ID & OD are right. Sadly, the pivot cups they had don’t fit. I was going to just source some generic stainless button head bolts from the local Fastenal, but if I can get a hollow kingpin that would be way cool! I’ll start digging.
Old April 26th, 2019, 03:20 PM   #14
drasp

Quote:
What he said.

Not surprised at all. You'll like the upgrade.

Chuck 'em. They're soft, they bend easily, and the slots aren't very deep.

I'd go with some of the newer hollow steel Snyder kingpins and a nylock. No more screwdriver ever.
Anyone else have a source for Pacer pivot cups? Not easy to find. There are a few stores online, but the one that clearly advertises the correct parts has a very bad rep.
Old April 26th, 2019, 05:34 PM   #15
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default I wonder..

Avanti trucks and delrin pivots?

Kingpins look a little short.
Old April 30th, 2019, 02:29 PM   #16
drasp

For now I'm using cut pieces of zip ties to shim the pivot cups I was able to source. Seems to have take up the slop & will hopefully get me by until I can find some proper Pacer pivot cups!
Old April 30th, 2019, 06:28 PM   #17
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
For now I'm using cut pieces of zip ties to shim the pivot cups I was able to source. Seems to have take up the slop & will hopefully get me by until I can find some proper Pacer pivot cups!
Just use flat washers
Old May 11th, 2019, 02:38 AM   #18
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Avanti trucks and delrin pivots?

Nope. Geometry doesn't match. Pacer is an odd duck.
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:40 PM   #19
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Nope. Geometry doesn't match. Pacer is an odd duck.
Looks close, if SG probe tricks fit that plate, so would the new avanti's , did you get to try them/test fit?
Old May 16th, 2019, 08:11 PM   #20
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Caregul Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Looks close, if SG probe tricks fit that plate, so would the new avanti's , did you get to try them/test fit?
dvw is as good if not better @ this than I am. I'd make book on it.