S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old February 7th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #161
Hank the Tank

Default Cicero's UPDATE: YouTube Video recently posted.

Good Morning folks from Fontana, CA as my job takes me on the road.
Had to bump this up as this video of skating at the long-closed Cicero's Roller Skating Rink in Ebensburg, PA was recently posted by YouTube user "angelacarnes". Talk about bringing back some memories.

Earlier in this thread, I put up a post about Cicero's and the memories behind it. Glad someone found this video (looks like it was taken about 1988 about a year before Cicero's closed).

Cicero's Roller Rink video by angelacarnes.

Thank you angelacarnes.
Hank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #162
snyder-dude
"DRUMMING FOR JESUS"

It is so sad to see all the roller rinks in Calif that has closed. To many to mention .Sacramento still has about 6 or 7 but some of the other towns and cities they have converted them to other bussiness's. Thank God for memories.
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #163
8-Ball
CERTIFIED ANTI CRONIE!!!!

Default London Hill Skateland - Eau Claire Wisconsin

A former skater from London Hill Skateland created a Facebook page for our long since closed rink.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/g...d=125859335160

I think most folks that have fond memories for such a place should create similar pages.. a great way to reconnect with others.. share memories and photos... etc..
8-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:51 PM   #164
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

There are a few rinks in my area that have closed. One is an old feed store now. That rink used to have a juke box for the music. It only opened during nice weather because it had no walls just a chicken wire railing. Memories.
Another was Skateland in Valdosta, Ga. Its a floor covering place now. The Holliday Skate Palace was my favorite spot in Valdosta. Its now Jungle Gyms, not much of a rink any more although they still skate there. There was also the Rollerdrome in Valdosta but a church bought it.
Wasn`t there a rink in Orlando called Skate World or something to that effect that had the DJ booth over the center of the floor in the ceiling? I went there one time in `82ish.
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:41 AM   #165
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Wink I knew your mother!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkayser View Post
Tony,

My mother skated there in 1958. I recently lost her. Her name, Donna Waters.
She had won Intermediate Ladies 440 Yards - 0:47.0 - Donna Waters - Detroit, MI - Jul 30, 1958 at Cleveland, OH and Junior Womens Quads 1958 Donna Waters, Detroit, MI all posted @ Usarollersports.org.

She dance skated, if that was what they called it. I don't know where her trophys are but she had some. I was trying to find older skaters from the Detroit Area to see if I could find old photo's.

If you can steer me in any new direction it would be much appreciated!

D
I knew your mother, I skated at the Arcadia roller rink in downtown Detroit, on Woodward ave.. In 1958 I was just 17 years old.. At the time I skated with the Arcadia speed team, but just for leg strength, I didn't start competing in speed until 1960..

Sadly I did take any pictures of skating back then, and I was a photographer. BUT roller rinks, and especially the Arcadia were like Bat Caves.. So like your mother I have very few , perhaps three or four images of me skating.. And all of those were shows or a practice session..

Sorry to hear of your mothers passing..
Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM   #166
HouseMusicDJ
Beat Junkie

Default New Jersey Rinks

ECHELON-Voorhees NJ
SKATER'S CHOICE-Sewell NJ
HouseMusicDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM   #167
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicDJ View Post
ECHELON-Voorhees NJ
SKATER'S CHOICE-Sewell NJ
You forgot one Scooters-Eastham NJ.
Old March 1st, 2011, 05:03 PM   #168
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

JellyBeans - Atlanta
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #169
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Default Kent, OHIO

Don't know if anyone mentioned Moon-Glo in Kent, Ohio. They tore it down back in the late 90's. (Can't remember exact date right now.) There's a whole facebook group dedicated to fans of Moon Glo.
sommemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:45 AM   #170
srobak
learning to skate again

My contribution...

Peninsula Roller Skating Center in Marquette Michigan (a city of about 65,000). 1980-1996, run by Bill and Sarah Helwig. It closed a year after the nearby Air Force Base (KI Sawyer) did - which also had a small skating rink. Had lots of great times at PRSC, and lots of folks who still live out there miss it dearly. The building is now a Salvation Army store, and I have not set foot in it since a year before it closed... I'm almost afraid to.

The good part is that there is a facebook page in its memory - started and maintained by the owners and staff Not many pix in there yet, but lots of "likes" and memories posted up for sure.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=39175676704

To pour salt on the wound of its demise however... check this out:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...nee&hnear=&z=9

The nearest rink to Marquette is nearly 3 hours away. While I no longer live up there, if I ever win the lotto, I am booting the Salvation Army out and re-opening the PRSC!
srobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #171
the california kid

Default The harbor roller rink in costa mesa,ca closed

It was a sad day when my fav. Rink closed its doors for the last time, and was not there. I already moved to tucson. Az. I should of bought it from barry may when i had the chance. But i was unable to find investors. And by the time i returned to costa mesa it was gone. It still stands but it was now a liquor store. The blue floor and track lines can still be seen. It looked much as it once did except for all the liquor bottles. I wonder why we need more liquor stores. Why take my home and family from me. That way.
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:05 AM   #172
7Skaters

Don't remember if I posted here already or not, but checking the list again:

Ohio Skate-Findlay
1617 Autumn Dr
Findlay, OH 45840

This one is definitely closed. It was the only rink I'd ever skated that had a smaller beginner's/practice rink.

Though a new one has opened recently in the Findlay area. Can't remember what it's called, though.

Also

Ohio Skate North was actually on a different road...can't remember the name of it off-hand. Sadly, it's been turned into a 2-story "Urban Fitness Center".

The other two Ohio Skate's are still up and running, though they're now listed as:

Ohio Skate - Maumee
1370 Conant Street
Maumee, Ohio. 43537

and

Ohio Skate - Toledo
5730 Opportunity Drive
Toledo, Ohio 43612
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM   #173
Raine
Fresh Meat

I haven't been able to find any pictures or information on the rink I grew up with. It was called Sportsworld and was in Morehead City, NC. It was on hwy 70, on the left going into town, across from what is now Belk but used to be WalMart. I don't know when it opened, but it was open at least from the mid-80s through 200, then torn down (along with the only bowling alley in the area) in order to build a strip mall on the land. The owner's or manager's name was Dennis Wookerson, or something similar (there was a co-owner, maybe his brother or another relative).

Growing up in the late 80s-90s, it was the place to be. They even had an after school program for a while, where you got off the school bus at the rink, had an hour or two of "quiet time" to read or do homework, and then got to skate, as well as other activities. The big draw were the lock-ins though. Every couple of months, they would have an event where you paid and got an armband and spent the whole night with an open skate.

Other things I remember was doing the hokey-pokey on roller skates. It was big for birthday parties and also during regular sessions with a lot of young kids - they'd have someone out on the floor in a big plush bunny costume roller skating and leading the dance. There was a fairly small lighted dance floor at one of the rink, up above head level for the skaters, and it was popular for teens and tweens to go up there and dance to the music.

They built an outdoor roller hockey rink sometime in the late 90s or around 2000, and I'm assuming they fielded a team because you could see people practicing. The indoor arcade was also popular. There were a few video games and a pinball machine, but the draw in there were the pool tables and the air hockey table. It was crowded, and between the snack bar and the bathrooms so it could be a pain in the butt to shoot pool with skaters coming in and out, but it was the only place in town other than the bars with pool tables, so the only place to play if you were a minor.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #174
Agawam_rollaway_skater
▒★USA

The Agawam Rollaway in Agawam Massachusetts. My home away from home from my pre teens to early twentys...

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...id=61055913984
Old May 11th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #175
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Rainbow Roller Rink - Lithonia, GA

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35894211299

And the Reunion skates (skaters from the 1950s to 2000s)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...293623257&ap=1

The older lady in the Reunion photo is Mrs. B! She and her husband were the owners of the rink. She came to the reunion last year, 90 years young!

She hired my mom at the skating rink when we had my 5th bday there in 84, and we skated till it was closed and turned into a Church (oh if they only knew what went on at that rink...)
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #176
emtdpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agawam_rollaway_skater View Post
The Agawam Rollaway in Agawam Massachusetts. My home away from home from my pre teens to early twentys...

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...id=61055913984
I skated here in the mid 80's.... met my wife there on a trios skate......that was about 27 years ago..........
Floor was small, but the staff, Dave and his Mom always kept it as clean as they could depending on the weather. Always a friendly place to just hang out.

Daves son now works over at the Chicopee Rink (Interskate 91) I believe.
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #177
emtdpf

Default Babb's Skating Rink..Suffield Ct.

Totally forgot about this one because they are trying to renovate it.

Here is the Link to it and the story.....

http://babbsrink.org/

Both myself and my wife worked there until they closed the doors about 1996, due to complaints and building code safety issues.

This floor was tiny by comparison to an 80 x 180 floor, but it had a lot of history, Big Bands, Dance Parties......... it was cool to be a part of its history. I spent many a day working on the skates keeping the up to par..... I was also the rolling santa during christmas and floor guard on Friday and Saturday nights......... doubles as DJ, and cook when needed......

Hopefully in the not so distant future it will reopen.......
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #178
Dennis Lauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Skaters View Post
Don't remember if I posted here already or not, but checking the list again:

Ohio Skate-Findlay
1617 Autumn Dr
Findlay, OH 45840

This one is definitely closed. It was the only rink I'd ever skated that had a smaller beginner's/practice rink.

Though a new one has opened recently in the Findlay area. Can't remember what it's called, though.
Also

Ohio Skate North was actually on a different road...can't remember the name of it off-hand. Sadly, it's been turned into a 2-story "Urban Fitness Center".
The other two Ohio Skate's are still up and running, though they're now listed as:

Ohio Skate - Maumee
1370 Conant Street
Maumee, Ohio. 43537

and

Ohio Skate - Toledo
5730 Opportunity Drive
Toledo, Ohio 43612
The new rink in Findlay is called:

Rolling Thunder Skating & Family Fun Center
2225 Keith Parkway
Findlay, Ohio 45840

I think this rink was on Holland Sylvania Road just south of Central.
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #179
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lauer View Post

The new rink in Findlay is called:

Rolling Thunder Skating & Family Fun Center
2225 Keith Parkway
Findlay, Ohio 45840
HA! I knew you'd see this eventually! LOL

*waits impatiently to skate OS - Maumee in the morn*
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #180
Dennis Lauer

I am going to come up to skate the Saturday session.

Does Holland Sylvania Road south of Central ring a bell with you for the Ohio Skate North rink that closed. I think this rink was originally opened as Central RollArena. After it was closed I believe it was sold to Yark Automotive Group, the Oldsmobile dealership.
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote