S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old December 6th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #81
CARTchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Okay...now I have to think back to my 80's club-hopping days...

East Dallas/Atlantis/Club Dance (and, I think, that huge club might have been called a couple of other things over the years) was/is in that shopping center at the corner of Brice and Livingston. I remember that one because I knew one of the DJ's there.

After the Gold Rush was a different club in a stand-alone building that was around the corner on Scarborough Blvd. close to the JC Penney distribution center. A car dealership sits on that site now. That one, I remember because one of my friends was a bouncer there.

The old USA West skating rink was on Sullivant Avenue and after it was sold it did become some sort of bar or nightclub with a hispanic theme, reflecting the large hispanic community in that section of town. Then, the city shut it down due to a number of liquor violations and shootings on the premises!

A few other rinks around here that have come and gone...

The Linden Roller Rink. I think this was the first place I ever skated as a little kid around 1968. It was a small, old-fashioned rink that must have closed in the mid-1970's. The building is still there- now it's a bingo hall or something like that. It's behind Yoho's restaurant at the intersection of Westerville Road and Oakland Park.

Roller Chalet. Closed about seven years ago. Used to be an ice rink, then was converted to a roller rink. It was behind Roush Honda in Westerville, on Schrock Road.

Reynoldsburg Roller Rink. Pretty sure it's not there anymore- it's been awhile since I was out that way. Was on Main Street in the heart of Reynoldsburg, next to their municipal pool (if that's still there). Of note on this rink: A few years ago I read an interview with rapper Bow Wow (who was "L'il" at the time) and he said that this was the rink he skated at as a kid!

Hard to believe that the United Skates of America corporation once operated three rinks right here in Columbus. At one point, they had over thirty rinks in their chain. I see from their website that they operate only about half that many now. I skated at USA rinks in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Springfield and Indianapolis over the years.

All this talk about skating is making me want to go skate! I wonder what 71 Skate Zone is like on a Saturday afternoon nowadays?
The Linden rink became skate town USA in like 83, the guy who used to do maintinance for USA was running it but it only lasted a few months untill they gave up on skating and went Bingo only

Roller chalet is weird story. they guy who owned up just up and vanished one day, they found him like a year later living in florida. I dont know if he was trying to avoid debt or something but anyway the Roller Chalet building is now Roush Honda's body shop.

I remember the Reynoldsburg rink but I have no clue what happened to it. Also on the east side was Laces, The city owned the building it was in and when they decided they wanted to clean the area up and put in a new Target they jacked the lease on the building thru the roof, so they had to close the rink and thats one of the floors USA destroyed.
Old December 6th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #82
BretMan

Laces! I had completely forgot about that one. Yet another rink that came and went. I was there one time. If I'm remembering right, it was a converted store- like an old K-Mart or something- in a shopping center. Wasn't that on East Broad Street?

Funny how hazy the 80's can be...

The story about the Linden rink being run briefly by USA also rings a bell. The guy that "did maintenance for USA"- was that possibly Doug Kay?

Now here's another one I completely forgot about, but it was a cool place to skate. Do you remember The Centrum? This was an outdoor rink that did roller skating most of the year and ice skating in the winter. Right smack in the center of downtown Columbus, this was on city-owned land and the city built it as kind of a public park. It was a hockey-sized rink that sat in a bowl about fifty feet below ground level and was completely open air. You had to take either stairs or an elevator to get down to the rink level.

While it was a city-owned park, they contracted with United Skates to provide the management for the day-to-day operations. This would have been right around the early 80's. One of my good friends, who was a manager at the USA North rink, ran things at The Centrum. Since they didn't have a live DJ and played all of their music on tapes, he had me make a set of tapes for him and that is what they played at their sessions.

This unique outdoor rink sat on some prime real estate and that proved to be it's downfall. It sat on the very plot of land that was purchased to build the City Center Mall and was filled in when the mall was built. Considering how this once popular mall has become a virtual ghost town, I wish that the old outdoor rink was still there instead!
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #83
CARTchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Laces! I had completely forgot about that one. Yet another rink that came and went. I was there one time. If I'm remembering right, it was a converted store- like an old K-Mart or something- in a shopping center. Wasn't that on East Broad Street?

Funny how hazy the 80's can be...

The story about the Linden rink being run briefly by USA also rings a bell. The guy that "did maintenance for USA"- was that possibly Doug Kay?

Now here's another one I completely forgot about, but it was a cool place to skate. Do you remember The Centrum? This was an outdoor rink that did roller skating most of the year and ice skating in the winter. Right smack in the center of downtown Columbus, this was on city-owned land and the city built it as kind of a public park. It was a hockey-sized rink that sat in a bowl about fifty feet below ground level and was completely open air. You had to take either stairs or an elevator to get down to the rink level.

While it was a city-owned park, they contracted with United Skates to provide the management for the day-to-day operations. This would have been right around the early 80's. One of my good friends, who was a manager at the USA North rink, ran things at The Centrum. Since they didn't have a live DJ and played all of their music on tapes, he had me make a set of tapes for him and that is what they played at their sessions.

This unique outdoor rink sat on some prime real estate and that proved to be it's downfall. It sat on the very plot of land that was purchased to build the City Center Mall and was filled in when the mall was built. Considering how this once popular mall has become a virtual ghost town, I wish that the old outdoor rink was still there instead!
I remember Doug, he was tight with the Helms for awhile. The guys name that ran skatetown was Lance, but i cant remember his last name.

If you go to City Center you can still see where the centrum used to be. Next to the Macys(Lazarus) building along High St there is a big bowl shaped dip in the ground, thats whre they filled in the Centrum.
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #84
BretMan

I bet we know tons of the same people...

Ron Helm was just one of the many managers I worked with over the years. And I definitely remember Lance! Can't for the life of me remember his last name, but his nickname was "Bear". He was from Sunbury, and before he worked for USA he worked at the Sunbury roller rink.

If your sister worked at the north rink, odds are I know her- and probably you too!
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #85
CARTchamp

I'll bet you know my brother Jeff for sure, I was a little kid at the time. I'm the same age as Laura, we hung together a lot.
Old December 7th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #86
Quadliner11

Default Roll Arena, Knoxville TN

I somewhat remember this rink as Skatetown USA. But many called it Roll Arena. For some odd reason, I remember every aspect about this rink, the last rink in west Knoxville. Its funky smell (what I now classify as the roller rink smell because the other skate rink in knoxville smells exactly the same) The smooth wood floor, the DJ booth, the walls, the parties, the ridiculously loud music blasting from the obviously blown speakers, the regular roller rink lighting, everything. When this rink closed, it was a complete shock. Now I will have to go around 30 minutes to the other skating rink. Of course I just now bought my first pair of quads (every pair before this was inline) so before I really got into skating it was not a big deal. It closed around 2001 I think and is now a Thrift store. I have been in it and I almost yelled at the people there. There are still remnants of Roll Arena, none of the walls have been torn down, the glossy floor is still down, the smell has been replaced by musty clothes. But some of the memories remain. Now I am moving to Lynchburg, to Fun Quest.
Quadliner11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #87
diagetus

Skatervideoguy-
Quote:
Sorry about the type-o. It should have been "Roe". Inspite of close to 50yrs. of practice, I still can't type worth a crap, or spell either. Nor is my proof reading much better.
No worries. I make them all the time too. Heck, I made a typo in my last post.
I skated some of those rinks you mentioned in Topeka too. That's interesting info about the owner of those Coachlites. You learn something new every day.
diagetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #88
rwsz

i drove by the old norwood mass rink today, the parking lot was full of cars for the wow business that is there now,,,,work out world. sad
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #89
Skatervideoguy

Hi diagetus,

What time frame were you in Topeka ?? Did you ever see a fellow on Stilt Roller Skates there, or in Lawrence or KC ??? If so, that was me. Retired them a few yrs' back, after a 30 yr run.
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:18 AM   #90
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Thumbs up Finding a rink

The other day I decided to wander around Northern Mass. looking for rinks. I had a list of them, and programed the GPS and off I went.. But I decided to change vehicles and when I grabbed the second vehicle I left the directions to the other rinks inside the first vehicle.. I know I know Drainbramage, Old Age???

I found Skateland in Bradford, (Haverhill), as I already had it programed into the GPS.. The rink was closed, but I got the schedule and I now know where it is.. No easy task given the roads in Mass. Yeeks... But then I discovered my mistake, I managed to find Beverly, Mass. and I actually found Sohier Road, but I couldn't remember the addess, and again the roads in Mass. made simply wandering along the street all but impossible

But sometime in January when I get my skates back from Michigan, I'll find my way to the Roller Place in Beverly, on a Thursday evening and have some fun???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
i drove by the old norwood mass rink today, the parking lot was full of cars for the wow business that is there now,,,,work out world. sad
Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #91
rwsz

just take the exit for sohier rd if spelled right and take a right when you get off the exit and its up on the right a couple of miles or so i think.

also saugus rink is right on rte 1 in saugus.
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #92
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Wink New England is still new to me

I'm from the mid West, Michigan that is where everything is basically flat as a billard table, and the roads were laid out with some rime or reason, not just following the old Indian horse paths.. In places like Michigan, if you miss your turn you go to the next block, make a right and a right and you are right back where you wanted to be.. Out here you do that and there is no telling where you'll end up at!!

But me and my GPS are staring to get this place figured out after what?? ah five years??? Who says you can't teack an old dog new tricks???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
just take the exit for sohier rd if spelled right and take a right when you get off the exit and its up on the right a couple of miles or so i think.

also saugus rink is right on rte 1 in saugus.
Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM   #93
70's skater

Just FYI,
Artistic nights:
-Beverly, Thursday 8-10:30
-Hudson MA, Tuesday 7:30 - 10
-Silver City, Monday, 7:00???
Not sure what other rinks have Artistic sessions.
-Saugus, no artistic, several nights are non-skating, ballroom dancing instead. Probably also Teen Dance nights.
-Haverhill/Bradford doessn't have a nite artistic anymore, but may hav a Fri Morn one.
70's skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #94
diagetus

What time frame were you in Topeka ?? Did you ever see a fellow on Stilt Roller Skates there, or in Lawrence or KC ??? If so, that was me. Retired them a few yrs' back, after a 30 yr run.

Hmm, it was about 10 years or so. I skated Topeka in 2000 or so. I never skated Lawrence. Never even knew a rink existed there. You look like a guy I met in Topeka though... but then again I would definitely remember someone on stilt skates. I'm sorry, but I don't think we've ever met. It's good to have another midwest skater on the forums though.
diagetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #95
Anabolix

Default Metro Atlanta

Mr. B's rink in Roswell closed years ago. Ryland homes was next door, needed more office space and made him an offer too sweet to pass up. He has been looking to open a new facility ever since. We had a skating rink here in Newnan, GA called Skate Palace but it is now a warehouse. It was owned by a husband and wife and the husband passed away. There used to be a rink in Peachtree City, but it closed as well. I would love to see a new rink open in the area so maybe I wouldn't have to drive 65 miles one-way to go to speed practice....
Anabolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #96
Jentien

Default Traverse City, MI SKATE WORLD

I used to work here back in the early 90's, came home for a visit to discover that it had been turned into two nightclubs.....what a waste. I had heard a few years back that the manager had been arrested for child molestation.....always thought he was kind of creepy.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM   #97
lharasim
Skate to get High

Here is a link to some very important rinks in the chicagoland area that are mostly closed I am still looking for an adult skate in the chicagoland or NW indiana area...also would love to find an rink that has a real pipe organ

http://www.orbitskate.net/Hub/

Lawrence
lharasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 06:46 AM   #98
Organ Grinder

Default CC Skate Ranch

I'm sure that many of you remember one of the most popular rinks in the east - CC Skate Ranch in Douglasville, PA. It was built in 1968 and owned by Chas Chrisman and rink organist Bill Clark. I was 15 when I first traveled from Pittsburgh PA across state to CC Skate Ranch in 1969 to see and hear Bill Clark play the organ live. Just like the Skate Reflections Extravaganza, every Saturday night was an extravaganza at CC Skate Ranch. Hundreds of skaters from across the east would converge there just to skate to Bill Clark live. You'd see buses in the parking lot that were chartered by various skate clubs all over the country. Sometimes there would be 10 - 15 cars in our convoys from Pittsburgh and Ohio. The organ was out in the open on a stage. I'd stand there most of the night and watch Bill play. It was great! The Saturday late skate was the most popular. It was wall to wall skaters. Session lasted until 2:30 am. and very few left early. Then, many of the skaters would fill the local restaurants afterwards for a late night snack. Occasionally, Bill would have a triple session, with the 3rd session going until 6am. I wonder how many of us could even make it through the 2nd session today? One of the Pittsburgh skaters always had his 8mm camera in hand and took hours of movies of the rink. Some of this footage is being used in the upcoming shuffle skating documentary. Bill and Chas sold the rink in 1979. It's some type of plumbing warehouse now.

Rinks such as CC Skate Ranch, and others like the Ardmore Roller Palace and Lexington in Pittsburgh, Rollarena in Unity Ohio, Spinning Wheels in Concordville PA. and Kimberton Rollerama near Valley Forge are long gone, but it's sure great to reminisce about those good ol' days and those terrific organ sessions.

Marty
Organ Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM   #99
retread

CC Skate Ranch....back in my heyday, that was the Mecca of our world. It was just a little outside of the safe driving range of our teen age rattletrap cars, and coupled with working every session at my rink, I never made it there. For us, Bill Clark lived on 7 inch reel to reels. Glad to have you guys to skate to today! (Marty is one of the best skating organists out there)

Bob

Last edited by retread; January 3rd, 2009 at 11:43 PM.
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #100
old fart roller

Default The Playhouse Skating Rink, Gainesville, Fl

Hey folks,
This is where I started my rink skating in the early 50's when I was invited to a birthday party at the rink. I remember my mom taking me there on Friday nights because I wasn't old enough to drive. Once I started driving and had my own car I had my favorite parking spot just a couple of car lengths from the door. I skated there until the property was sold in the mid 60's. All I can remember is Jerry was the rink manager all those years and he knew all of the regulars by name. Back in those days the rinks weren't air-conditioned like they are now and one side of the rink was all windows that we could open. It wasn't a big rink compared to the rinks today but I skated many many miles there. The music was records and all organ.

In the later 60's another rink was built and was much bigger, air conditioned and an asphalt treated floor. I was a floor guard there 3 nights aweek but I can't remember the name of the rink.

My wife and I skated year around there until careers and babies call us away in 1974.

We also skated two rinks in Jacksonville, Fl. but I don't think they are still around either.

We now live in the Atlanta, GA area.

Worth
old fart roller is offline   Reply With Quote