S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 26th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #21
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

At some point I will just have to take some video of various skills and see if our low-mid level team in the rearend of Washington state is what you are talking about or no. I'd bet you would be surprised at the skill of the average jammer out here.

That said we had one girl who was top of the pool around here. She was a rink rat before she could walk due to a father that worked there, she made us all look sloppy and is what drove me into this quest to improve the general skill of the team/area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Because they often do all their footwork at slow speeds. So when they skate at even a moderate pace they're somewhat clumsy.
To be honest this is true. While it makes sense due to the fact we don't skate fast in derby, it is a bad idea to not also have the skills at speed.

Quote:
Maybe our crews standard for a good skater is a bit higher . Since we don't judge a skater by just a few things, its a wide array of skills we look for in people.
Neither does a good derby team, if you look at the min skills test it has everything this thread has mentioned and more, teams just lower the bar to pass compared to a ranking WFTDA team.

Quote:
Backwards skating is WAY over looked if you ask me. Pretty much all the kids at our rink can backwards skate. Most can do it fairly well in either direction. That in itself is probably the biggest difference I see with our locals vs other places I've been.
^^YES, this^^ I see many derby skaters who cannot skate backwards well enough. We drill this every single practice as of 4 months ago, including all skills while backwards. Everyteam should do this if they don't already.

Quote:
Most people dare not transition at their max sprint speed. So I say, what's the use of skills you can't use at your fastest speeds?

That's probably another big one we do. Almost all of us can do any of our skills at high speeds. Where a lot of other skaters don't train themselves for that. As a result they cant hang when things are hairy at high speeds.
Transitions at a sprint? I doubt that at a full sprint on a derby tack. Too small. At a rink sized loop absolutely.We have begun building speed in practice doing transitions now at a 13 second lap on the track is considered average in our team. We are working on going faster in them though.

As mentioned before, by seemingly everyone, derby isn't played at high speed. That said we (my practices) run skills upto sprint speeds to push their limits.

Quote:
Backwards slalom with both feet, not just the motion, but being able to use the movement to create or reduce speed.
Reducing speed via bkw-slalom? Now that is something even I struggle with. I tend to accelerate when doing ANY slalom move, and have a hard time not gaining speed with them.
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #22
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The speed training matters because of one thing.

Getting hit. When you get hit your legs and inertial balance is disrupted, the better you are at higher speed footwork the greater your stability at lower speeds. The reason being is that you'll possess the footwork skills and coordination/strengths to recover feet much more precisely. When you can execute a 180 transitions, seamlessly front to back to front or whatnot, in crowded rink traffic at 20mph through kids going all different directions and never hit anyone, derby is easy. 4 people to get around is nothing. Well so long as your own team knows how to stay out of your path.. That's one of the bigger problems I've seen. Its like the timing for hitting other walls apart and jammer arrival is off for almost everything I've seen. Even high skilled players.

What would fix alot of these problems would be the team regularly skating sessions, balls-out, through traffic , in a "catch me if you can" kind of line. We do a lot of hard skating, and will try to follow each other through traffic. Usually its backwards. Kinda on a "you turn around first you got burnt!" Thing. Heh this kind of skating has made me so good at skating its stupid. Theres almost no situation now that I actually have to turn around to avoid an accident. Hockey stop left/right side , forwards/backwards, 1 foot or both feet, able to daisy chain them with transitions to forwards/backwards directions and decide direction while sliding.

I get to play hockey once in a while at our rink. All my hockey skills as a kid are pretty much gone, but the skating madness makes me a problem for the most experienced stick handlers there.

Can you guys and gals play some hockey with some people, moderate contact of course for the skaters that can hang. It helps alot. One of the better derby skaters I've seen plays hockey.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 04:43 PM   #23
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
When you can... ...derby is easy.
I would hesitate to ever say this. With 9 people to get around on such a small track, it is not so easy as it looks. I can skate circles around +90% of these girls, but playing is a whole different beast.

Quote:
One of the better derby skaters I've seen plays hockey.
Absolutely. Many of my skill-drills come straight out of hockey drills.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 07:11 PM   #24
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama of death View Post
I would hesitate to ever say this. With 9 people to get around on such a small track, it is not so easy as it looks. I can skate circles around +90% of these girls, but playing is a whole different beast.

hah, you haven't seen our small ass floor with 200 people on it

Absolutely. Many of my skill-drills come straight out of hockey drills.
If your blockers all skate sessions together and learn the way each other like to skate in heavy traffic at high speeds and can learn to adapt to each others skating styles on the fly, then your hammer only worries about 4 people tops.

Thing is I've never met a derby player who could hang with the skating my friends and I do at sessions.

Session is where the skating skills can be honed, derby practice isn't the time to learn them. JMO

Last edited by Mort; February 2nd, 2015 at 08:19 PM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #25
wayne o
enthusiastic about apathy

[QUOTE=llama of death;700353]I would hesitate to ever say this. With 9 people to get around on such a small track, it is not so easy as it looks. I can skate circles around +90% of these girls, but playing is a whole different beast.

Agree

A few years back, I went to a VRDL (Victorian Roller Derby League) training session for their travel team. (To make a few ref calls)
They are now ranked in the top 5 (I believe) WFTDA teams. HOORAY for them !

I was a little surprised at what I perceived to be a lack of GOOD form, and when they were trying to teach/learn hockey stops I nearly choked on how clueless they seemed.
I tried to show the trainer some things that might assist, but pretty much got the "what would you know about Derby little man / who are you anyway ?" response.

That aside, they would kick my ass at Derby then, and even more so now.

Playing is more than just skating for sure.
The people MORT talks about avoiding (backwards at speed) are not trying to intentionally get in the way, or knock him into next week.

Excellent form helps deal with fatigue, ensures balance and gives you more "free" brainpower to assess your options for dealing with the pack.

Excellent form does NOT however give you the "right stuff", when it comes to grit, determination, courage and the all important ability to play as a team.

While involved in derby, I never met a Derby girl that I couldn't outskate. ( Fly-in U.S. "Stars" included ).
However trying to play the game with them, their track experience and teamwork negated all of my advantage.
wayne o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roller derby, skills