S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old June 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #21
scarletwitch

I was diagnosed with CECS in early February. I tried the massage/no activity route for 3 months and had no imporvement. I was also having the pain if I walked quickly or for long distances. But it was definitely the worst when skating. I decided to move forward with the surgery and have been very happy with the results. My surgery was a little over a month ago and just last week I was able to put skates back on my feet. The important part is finding a good surgeon who has experience with the injury.

If you can find other ways to relieve your pain, then that's terrific. But if you have to have surgery, it's not the end of the world. Recovery time is not that bad and I feel like I have new legs now.
scarletwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #22
dirttrail1

Wink Been there done that twice

I've speed skated on quads on and off most of my life. I'm skating again after many years .
This injury is caused by the pressure and force of going into the corner . My right leg would begin to tighten up then it would begin to get painful then it would get weak. Even after practice and resting for an hour it was still painful in the lower outside of the right leg. I noticed it was weak pushing on the gas peddal on the car.
Your muscles are encased in sacks and the skin on these sacks sometimes can't keep up with the stretching and bulging of your muscles. The pressure builds inside, fluids don't run out as freely and your nerves are squeezed.
Simple pressure tests will show if the pressure goes down after a workout or not.
The pressure should go down quickly as you ease up. If not then you have the compartment syndrome (anterior,interior etc. depending on where the pain is) I think there are 5 or 6 different compartments.
I've had the minor surgery twice over the 40 years or so that I've skated.
You get relief almost right away when that skin is slit or opened on the compartment. All that pressure no longer is being held back. Give a couple of weeks to heal up and train back slowly . You will feel like your old self and want to power within a week but don't as there needs to be time to let a new skin or facia grow back.
Take care, Carl
dirttrail1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #23
P.S. I Shove You

Wow, Carl, you've described my experience perfectly. "My right leg would begin to tighten up then it would begin to get painful then it would get weak." That's it exactly. Over a period of months of ignoring it and skating every day, I got to the point of excruciating pain and being unable to raise and lower my foot at all within just 5 minutes of practice. And your response contained a lightbulb for me - the corner! That explains why the pain was significantly less when outdoor skating.

You also make surgery sound like no big deal, and worth it. This is great to hear. I've been going the conservative route for a few months now, without a full recovery. I'll keep trying this a bit longer, but ultimately I'm unwilling to give up my active lifestyle and my favorite activities. Surgery might make sense for me.

So far I've had...
1 primary care physician
2 physical therapists
1 orthopedic surgeon
1 neurologist
3 personal trainers
1 massage therapist
& 2 yoga instructors
... on the case. I've had two and half months completely off skates and longer than that without running. And still I'm in pain. The only things that really seem to help are swimming regularly (must increase circulation without aggravating those muscles) and lots of turmeric. (I know that sounds crazy, but taking lots of turmeric really helps. I'm in significantly less pain if I take it regularly. It has been used safely in South Asia for hundreds of years against all kinds of inflammation.)

In my case, the diagnosis has been confusing. The orthopedic surgeon did the pressure test and recommended surgery on my right leg based on the results. But first he wanted me to see a neurologist to rule everything out. The neurologist said immediately that he thought it was a pinched nerve (L5) in my lower back. The MRI showed two herniated discs and - as he predicted - a badly compressed L5 nerve on the right side. He said he couldn't rule out compartment syndrome, but wanted me to try physical therapy for my back before surgery. I had no back pain, but complied. Why not, right? But I'm not convinced. My back is getting stronger, but my right leg still hurts. It sure sounds exactly like compartment syndrome.

Was there anything besides surgery that helped you at all?

P.S. I Shove You
P.S. I Shove You is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compartment syndrome, conservative care, roller derby, shin pain, surgery