S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old February 19th, 2018, 03:57 PM   #1
kentek

Default Frequency, Intensticy and Duration

We have all heard this from coaches Frequency, Intensticy and Duration, But which is the most important?
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 06:08 PM   #2
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentek View Post
We have all heard this from coaches Frequency, Intensticy and Duration, But which is the most important?
Consistency I believe to be the most important. You can't train really hard for 3 or 4 days in a row and then take a week off.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2018, 08:03 PM   #3
evilzzz

They are all important, but you can't do them all at the same time, so a well structured and training plan should emphasize one key aspect at at any particular block of time (theory of periodicity).

However I will say that if you want to keep it relatively casual then frequency is probably the most important thing. Just getting out and doing something each day gets you a long way. Then duration to enhance endurance, then lastly intensity to improve speed and power.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Abadjiev

Great question. And I am going to write a longer article on my blog (some links below)

1) Consistency: I agree with Kufman; none of the above is worth anything without consistently doing the workouts.

Here are some links to articles that I have written on my blog about Consistency.
Part One: Show Up - https://www.livetrainbalance.com/con...ing-up-part-1/

Part Two: Every day you touch the barbell is a positive. Every day you don't touch the barbell is a negative - https://www.livetrainbalance.com/con...is-a-negative/

Part Three: Motivation is Overrated - https://www.livetrainbalance.com/con...-is-overrated/
2) Frequency: the more times you perform a skill, the better you get at it. Without recycling what is now a cliché, it’s the old “10000 hours” thing.

3) Duration: One must be able to perform Work. Physics defines Work as when an object is moved over a distance by an external force. For our purposes, it is a load performed for a period of time. The longer you can execute a skill, be it squats or running or skating, the more work you are performing and the greater your capacity for higher workloads becomes.

Think of all these as building the foundation for Intensity

4) Intensity: Though it comes in fourth, that doesn’t mean it is necessarily least important. But without proper skills development, one’s intensity is almost useless. Would you advocate super hard skate sprints if someone hasn’t developed the proper technique? Should a beginning boxer pound a heavy bag with all out intensity if they haven’t yet learned how to properly execute a punch? Should a track athlete run high-intensity intervals before the muscles and tendons in their legs have been properly conditioned?

Finally, professor Stephen Seiler examined the ratio of high intensity training to the total of training for Olympic athletes spanning some twenty years and found that 90% of their training fell in the Zone 2 range, a very low-stress range. This shows clearly the role of intensity.

Last edited by Abadjiev; February 22nd, 2018 at 12:03 PM.
Abadjiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2018, 02:50 PM   #5
Dekindy

Intensity - Interval training.

https://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/int...-everyone.html
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2018, 05:30 AM   #6
Roto

My vote goes to consistency followed closely by intensity.

Consistency in your exercise plan will result in gradual improvements in strength and form, provided you pay attention to technique so as not to train yourself to use poor technique.

Intensity - the single greatest lesson I ever learned about aerobic intensive sports is that intervals are truly the best training technique. Years ago I participated in a local group bike ride weekly, and I met one of the riders who served as a coach for a local cycling club. In conversation I told him that my riding was nothing more than cross training for skating. He asked me some questions about skating and at some point I told him that I did not understand why all of the drills we did (do) for indoor short track are interval style. He told me that if you train for speed, distance will come. To that I replied "Huh" and he explained that for aerobically intense sports, if you focus your training on assorted intervals, you really will not need to train for distance if you're talking about marathon or even tri-athalon distances. He said that appropriate interval training will give you the aerobic capacity to ride, run, or skate the distance. That completely changed my perspective.
Roto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2018, 09:43 AM   #7
evilzzz

We've had this discussion before, several times.

The studies show that across ALL sports the commonalities in the best practices filter down, and that overwhelmingly they show that athletes spend most of their time (80-90%) training at low intensity, ie < 80% max heart rate, zone 2, aerobic zone, <2mmol/ltr... or whatever you want to call it. Skating is no different at all.

The myth that you can do 5 minutes of intervals as a complete replacement for 1hr of easy aerobic work is absurd - it is the stuff that is out there to sell fitness magazines.

Yes you will get more "bang for your buck" with higher intensity, but that is less than half the picture. The higher energy system, lactate threshold are more responsive, but the improvements also flatten out after a relatively short period of repetition. You won't get any improvement in lactate threshold much past 1-2 years of training. By contrast the aerobic system can be built and improved year after year for as much as 10-15 years. Do you want the quickest return, or the best outcome? Because they are different questions.