S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #261
JandKLarson

Welcome to the forum and to skating dsa! Just wanted to let you know that there is a local race series in PA, the Eastern Seaboard Series, which takes place in Trexlertown, PA, just outside of Allentown, PA. The series draws skaters from throughout the Northeast. There is a 5k race for recreational skaters which might interest you, as well as a 10k. The first race is coming up soon, but you can skate any race in the series. www.easternseaboardseries.com. If you are able to make a race, it's a great chance to meet other "local" skaters. Hope we may see you there.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #262
dsa0224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Welcome to the forum and to skating dsa! Just wanted to let you know that there is a local race series in PA, the Eastern Seaboard Series, which takes place in Trexlertown, PA, just outside of Allentown, PA. The series draws skaters from throughout the Northeast. There is a 5k race for recreational skaters which might interest you, as well as a 10k. The first race is coming up soon, but you can skate any race in the series. www.easternseaboardseries.com. If you are able to make a race, it's a great chance to meet other "local" skaters. Hope we may see you there.

thanks if i go back upstate for a vacation. ill try it out. i know allentown is close by king of prussia. i miss that area.
dsa0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #263
Another Dave

Default Roller Skates for my wife

Took my first fall yesterday outside the house love the pads but anyway.

Got a question about roller skates for my wife.
Any suggestion for skates for outdoor use for a total beginner. Would like a pair that would be easy to upgrade when the time comes.
Had a look in the stores around town and no one stocks roller skates only inline skates.

Thanks
Another Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #264
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
Any suggestion for skates for outdoor use for a total beginner. Would like a pair that would be easy to upgrade when the time comes.
What price range are you looking at? I'd never suggest going top of the line for a beginner, of course, but starting with *better* equipment will get her rolling easier, help her learn faster, and there will be less to upgrade later.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #265
Another Dave

Hi 7Skaters, the wife spotted a pair of Quad lines by Riedell that she wants. Problem i have is now finding them in Europe, only Quad line skates i can find are the Scorpions which clip onto ur shoes. If anyone has any ideas of where i could get a pair that would be great. I have searched around on google but most skate i can find are for derby. I will take a trip into Amsterdam tomorrow and try two see if any skates stores in the city stock them.

Thanks
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #266
7Skaters

Derby/speed/jam skates are the easiest to upgrade. You would just need to get some outdoor wheels at first. They'd be great for normal paved trails, street skating, skate parks, etc.

Over rougher surfaces, Quad Lines are a bit more stable, so if you're skating on dirt paths, going off-road, or if the paved paths or streets often have a lot of debris they would be a better option. Quad Lines are a bit harder to upgrade, though.
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #267
dsa0224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Skaters View Post
Derby/speed/jam skates are the easiest to upgrade. You would just need to get some outdoor wheels at first. They'd be great for normal paved trails, street skating, skate parks, etc.

Over rougher surfaces, Quad Lines are a bit more stable, so if you're skating on dirt paths, going off-road, or if the paved paths or streets often have a lot of debris they would be a better option. Quad Lines are a bit harder to upgrade, though.
i cant stand dealing with rough pavement on inlines. its like having sand thrown into my face. when i skate i just want to go as fast as i can from point A to point B
dsa0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #268
Another Dave

looks like she has her heart set on the quad lines. thanks for the info.
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #269
RIC0
Skatin Hillbilly Style

Cool

After 25 years or so being off skates I decided to get my 6 daughter involved in skating, with a 15 month old brother soon to follow. I took her to a school skating function and had an absolute blast and said I got to get into this with her. I'm already an avid cyclist and figured why not pick up another hobbie..

With not much money to spend I broke down and bought a pair of Riedell R3 skates and put some Zoom wheels and Qube 8 ball bearings in them to make me at least look better...

Overall I"m having a blast and wish I would have never quit skating years ago, too much fun.
RIC0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #270
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIC0 View Post
...with a 15 month old brother soon to follow.
Hey, if he's walking with pretty good balance...get some wheels on that boy's feet! Though, just go with the ones that don't roll for now, get his little legs used to the weight and feel of 'em.
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:11 AM   #271
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsa0224 View Post
i cant stand dealing with rough pavement on inlines. its like having sand thrown into my face. when i skate i just want to go as fast as i can from point A to point B
But that would be with inlines!
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:34 PM   #272
Rollerelle

Having a whole heap of fun getting into my quads... haven't skated regularly in years and never really learned the proper skills the first time round, so it's been a real eye opener!

Thanks to the wonders of the SLF search box and the patience of some good friends who practically have wheels for feet, I'm picking things up pretty quickly

I'm only about a month in - so far, a few successes, a few challenges (the main one being that I live on a long hill, which makes skating my neighbourhood interesting) but it's all an adventure. Enjoying every minute!
Rollerelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #273
WildBill

Picked up short-track, indoor speed skating and I love it. My daughter got into it last year. Now, my wife and I do it with her. Practice is 3 days a week, and can't wait to leave work and hit the rink. Still looking to hit the 10 sec lap time (11.4 at the moment), but I guess that's okay for picking up the sport for the first time at the age of 31.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #274
KMA

I second the dont start with real cheap skates. But even if you spends lots on skates there are always upgrades. It is called SEDS

Still waiting for my custom Harlick dance boots. Ginger says not long now...

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #275
WildBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
Picked up short-track, indoor speed skating and I love it. My daughter got into it last year. Now, my wife and I do it with her. Practice is 3 days a week, and can't wait to leave work and hit the rink. Still looking to hit the 10 sec lap time (11.4 at the moment), but I guess that's okay for picking up the sport for the first time at the age of 31.
woo hoo, broke the 11 sec mark. 10.6 lap time today at practice. watch out 9, I'm coming. lol
Old September 21st, 2011, 01:33 AM   #276
KMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
I second the dont start with real cheap skates. But even if you spends lots on skates there are always upgrades. It is called SEDS

Still waiting for my custom Harlick dance boots. Ginger says not long now...

Katy
Tomorrow I get my Harlicks tomorrow OOOOOOOO I cant wait Im taking half a day off to pick them up and hit a session.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #277
Legacysage

Default Hi there!

Some of you know me already, others maybe not. I know I might have already annoyed a few of you with my silly questions, and for that I appologize. My name is James, and despite all of the experience that I had THOUGHT that I had before, I've truly only recently discovered the joy of skating. Though my interests are purely recreational, I do try to make sure that I get out for 2-4 hours every few days. This is sort of a mixed reply to the topic thread here, sorry; haha. Really, I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me out, and dealing with my stupidity this long! As well, the concept of sharing beginning experience caught my interest.

Beginning skate experience.... well, I THOUGHT I knew what I was doing at first... then I started rolling. Things are sure a hellva lot different when they are strapped to your feet! Though I'm still a beginner, I've had quite a few experiences already! Starting off, the concept of moving forward seemed pretty simple. Just; skate! Wonderful! I'm moving! This is actually prett- POLE!
Mhm, you really do start learning the second you put them on, haha. Having fairly decent balance, cross overs were never a challenge for me. I'd become fairly used to that motion, as I often do football training regimens and other plyometric exercises. Though, as a beginner my greatest enemy was gravel. It's everywhere. Sand, gravel... all that annoying wonderful stuff for beginners to slip on and trip over... You just start to pick up a little speed, then hit a twig or something then spend the next 5 minutes trying to rearrange your face. Nah, but since then I've improved quite a bit. I'm able to focus not only on the ground, and my actions; but on the enviroment around me too. However, the enviroment really isn't the only thing you have to worry about... You hear that sandy sound coming from your bearings? Mhm, it's cleaning time! Another wonderfully fun part of owning inline skates. Though, truthfully, it doesn't bother me anymore... I'm just way too excited to be able to jump into them after their nice and shiny and get rolling again. Before though, it was quite the tedious process. Not having access to any, "Real" cleaning solutions, I've had to resort to homemade concoctions. 1 cup lemon juice /w 1/2 vinegar and 1 cup soapy hot water. Of course, not knowing at first... I went all water. Water works great, but you can see your bearings rusty to pieces inside of it while your trying to scrub them and dry them as fast as you can. Not only that, but the first time I had done this, I forgot a bearing in the towel.... and I hadn't dried it. Kind of an, " Oh sh*" moment while your reassembling your skates. Needless to say, the thing was brown by the time I got to it. Nothing a good scrubbing, and wd 40 couldn't fix. Soooo.... yeah. That's the story thus far, haha. =p Alot more has happened, trust me... but, it's probably not ideal to bore yall in a single post so I'll stretch it out to make you suffer a bit more >=D

But seriously, thanks guys. I'm sorry that I can't exactly join your conversations on thermodynamics in the application of skate bearings and ideal zero friction lubricants or anything fancy like that. Rather, I'm sorry that I can't really be all that useful in ANY sense... Hopefully that will change though, haha. Till then!
Legacysage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #278
WildBill

Hi Legacy - I feel you with looking forward to strapping skates to your feet. I've been speeding skating indoors for about 6 months now, and I can't wait to get to the rink. I've had special encounters with the floor and walls numerous times - including a dislocated shoulder. But the thrill of flying around that rink at full speed is just too much to resist. I too am extremely grateful for the information that I gain from all of the knowledgeable people on here willing to share their experience. Anyhow, I don't see an end to this addiction any time soon.
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #279
Pinhy

I just found this thread, maybe I can revive it. It seems like a great thread.

Met a new group of friends late last year that skate in both park trails and urban city street skates. I tagged along on a mountain bike a few times before deciding it looked like way more fun to skate.

I borrowed some small wheeled aggressive skates (Il Capo's) from a friend, and hit the park trail a couple times, before deciding to purchase a pair of K2 Moto 84 BOA. LOVE THEM!

I've been skating 8 mile loops at the park 1x or 2x a week ever since. I've also done one 10-mile urban skate through city streets, sidewalks and riverside walkways.

I know it's only been a little over a month, but I've already started researching 100 or 110 mm wheeled skates for the park. It would make a slightly higher speed possible, and also make maintaining speed easier.
Pinhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #280
Vyolet

So I just found this topic, not sure why I haven't spotted it earlier!
I already did a kind of introduction here: http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43395

It really motivates me to read this thread and I'm happy to say I am rolling!
While I'm still waiting for the Skateshop to get the Suregrip collection online I found out a friend of mine had a pair of gifted quad skates.
They aren't pretty but they fit and I can loan them untill I have my own pair.

So I'm practicing on these. (Pardon my cat)
At the moment I have them on as much as possible in and around the house since we got hit by a lot of rain. But I hope the sun will show itself soon again.

I can already feel why I should not go for the nylon plates on my future pair, they are "wiggling" a bit, think that is an ok description of what I feel.
Can only say I'm having a lot of fun already and I can feel my muscles awakening, which is good And I notice I'm getting a bit quicker and more agile on them and getting more stable. Can't wait to really get into it outside more. And going to a derby scrimmage soon on driving distance, hope they got some tips for me for indoor practice!
Vyolet is offline   Reply With Quote