S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 15th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #241
KidAwon89

Smile not really new but still learning apparently

it seems as if though everytie i go skating i fall at least 3-5 times a session..it gets me very upset when i do that and its because im so clumsy..I banged up my knees pretty bad too ..i find it very discouraging but..ive been hearing this saying alot lately "if your not falling your not learning"
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:16 AM   #242
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

To solve this problem do what I do.

STOP COUNTING!

Come on stop beating yourself up. Get some protective knee pads to help you during your beginner experiences and cut the whining.

I want to hear about your successes not your little speed bumps along the way.

But you know this because you keep getting up and skating. Keep up the good work.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #243
Canadianspikes

Warning: This post may be preaching to the choir.

So I finally got around to buying some pads. I went to Sportchek because it was the only sports store I could think of off the top of my head and turns out they only stocked K2 pads. I figured "Well, it's a pretty well-known inline skate brand, I guess these could be okay..." as the weather sucked and I didn't feel like shopping around. I only shelled out a little over thirty dollars, which should have already been a warning sign as I had planned to spend closer to sixty or seventy, and headed home.

I tried on the wristguards in the store, which was again where I should have stopped. They were pretty much palm/wrist guards and nothing more. They didn't extend to cover any of the forearm, though I thought I could always buy wristguards elsewhere that would cover more. When I got home, I opened up the rest of the package and tried on the knee pads. They really do not extend past the kneecap at all. I checked the papers that came with the package and they're made for adults, so it's not like I grabbed a kid's size package by mistake. It should be noted all the pads and guards actually fit my body, just the protection itself didn't cover a large surface area. Anyways, because I was already sketched out a little, I dropped to my knee and started putting my weight on it to test the pad itself. Not painful, but not comfortable either. That's okay. I don't plan to skate on my knees. Then I heard a pop, thought "That does not bode well", took them off and examined them. The pad itself seems fine, but when I was examining it I noticed that the stitching between the plastic and the cloth was pretty weak. I'm sure if I was motivated enough, I could have ripped them apart with my hands. However, I'd like to refund them and get my money back instead
Upon further examination, all the pads seemed to be this cheaply made. I'm going to go back sometime this week to return everything.

Moral of the story: Cheap pads are, indeed, cheap.
Canadianspikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #244
alvag
Brakeless Bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianspikes View Post
Warning: This post may be preaching to the choir.
Normally you don't want to skate in a full hockey suit. Unless you are into aggressive skating or Roller-Derby, I'd say the K2 pads will do fine.
alvag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 02:09 AM   #245
Canadianspikes

My main concern was just that they seem to cover very little surface area. It seems like they're designed for one very specific kind of fall and nothing else. Actually, the first time I tested out the knee pads, the plastic slid and I ended up smacking my knee into a combination of the floor and plastic. Not very promising for future falling.
Old March 26th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #246
Canadianspikes

More pad problems!
I went down to a skateboarding store today and tried on a bunch of different Pro-tec Street elbow pads, but I really can't seem to get a proper fit. Somehow a small is slightly too large and Jr. is far too tight. I came home and measured out my knees (going to have to get someone to do my elbows for me because I'm completely incompetent ) and found out I'm 14.5" both 4" above and below my knee, so according to the Pro-Tec size chart there's no pad that will properly fit me. The medium knee pads are too small below the knee and the large are too big above the knee. There's not really any other options in terms of brands here, besides the cheap K2s that didn't fit either or having to shell out a lot of money on Triple 8s that are meant for way more abuse than I'm planning to give my pads. What's the recommendation in a situation like this? Do I just get the smaller size and hope it stretches?
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #247
jaro

You have to decide how well you want to learn skating. If you just want to skate 1-2 times a week on long flat trails without learning anything "special" you should be fine with those K2s. They are designed for casual fitness skaters who usually don't want any pads or small pads.

I use pads displayed below. The wrist guard is longer, but not too stiff (shouldn't break forearm). These knee pads cover bigger surface than usual inline knee pads. There are ever better pads out there for agressive skating.
jaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #248
alvag
Brakeless Bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianspikes View Post
What's the recommendation in a situation like this? Do I just get the smaller size and hope it stretches?
I have the impression you're overdoing it. The pads should sit tight at the beginning without cutting your blood circulation. They will continuously stretch with the use until you have to buy new ones or manually shorten the straps. If you are really concerned about falling, I'd suggest you also get some crash pants. In my experience, you'll hit your butt/hips a lot more than your knees.
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #249
moth
Color me your color, baby

Default Not as easy to get back on wheels as I had hoped

I fully don't expect anyone to read this, but it will definitely be cathartic for me to post it. About 9.5 years ago I had my second child by my second major abdominal surgery and to be too candid, my junk (aka, pelvic region) still hurts. It hurts when I lift weights, shovel snow, dig in my garden and it even hurts when I'm sitting. After much physical therapy and weight training, I still don't have the strength and control I had before my first surgery almost 12 years ago. Many people tell me that this is just the price of getting older... personally, I think it's the price of inattentive medical care.

The local park district here offers Derby Lite, and after putting it off for some time, I decided to sign up. Before classes were scheduled to start, I spent 6 weeks doing mostly leg and core work with a personal trainer. I went to the rink, rented skates and found that I could still stay upright, maneuver and so forth. I had almost forgotten how much fun it was to be on skates.

In hindsight, ordering skates from an online vendor was a huge mistake. The skates arrived with the king bolt so tight that two people could not loosen them. I also suspect they might be missing speed cone washers, as well. The upshot of this is that I skated for about a month on skates that were not right for me. What was easy and fun on the rental skates was nothing short of terrifying on my own skates. Based on my personal experience, I do not recommend buying skates online. Lucky me, the rink I frequent is owned and staffed by aggressively friendly people who genuinely want skating to be a good experience for me. My skates are finally adjusted to where I can skate on them, but I'm still not completely happy.

For context, prior to my multiparous state, I skated on rollerblades that were tweaked repeatedly before I'd ever even left the shop I bought them from. This is consistent with what I see at my favorite rink when someone buys a pair of skates. It's usually the owner doing the adjusting, and he spends a lot of time on one knee.

Scary skates are Riedell 126 boots, Sure-Grip XK-4 DA plates, Sure-Grip Fugitive wheels with Bones Reds bearings. The bearings seem to have a life of their own, and want to skate without me, so I've tightened them to the point where they cannot go anywhere without my permission. I am just about to loosen them the width of a single human hair, the very thought of which is giving me the willies. Pictures:

http://mingu.sping.us/images/pimped_skates.jpg
http://mingu.sping.us/images/skate_side.jpg

I came || close to quitting Derby Lite. Instead, I was asked to take a break from Derby Lite until I have learned to skate better. Which was disappointing, but a weight off my shoulders. And if I hadn't started going to beginner lessons, I never would have known how bad my skates actually were.

So now I'm back on the forum to ask a bunch of dumb newbie questions, since it turns out that no amount of physical fitness can substitute for the muscle memory lost to 12 years of not skating. One of the most important things I had forgotten was to use my legs to keep my body upright instead of my core. My junk still hurts, sometimes pretty bad, but it's not keeping me from skating.
moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #250
chaos4ever

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio -- where the wheezing just never goes away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaro View Post
You have to decide how well you want to learn skating. If you just want to skate 1-2 times a week on long flat trails without learning anything "special" you should be fine with those K2s. They are designed for casual fitness skaters who usually don't want any pads or small pads.

I use pads displayed below. The wrist guard is longer, but not too stiff (shouldn't break forearm). These knee pads cover bigger surface than usual inline knee pads. There are ever better pads out there for agressive skating.
+1

A lot of falling will be forwards, some backwards, not so much sideways. The pads are to prevent nasty road rash. The amount of pain from falling is more with less-padded gear, obviously, but the point of padding is to be able to take the spill and walk (or skate) away so you can get back on the skates another day and not eventually end up in the doctor's office. IMO, unless you're doing tricks or derby, if you have osteoperosis, or are hypothalamic, pro-tec pads are a bit overkill and will be quite the joint warmers.
chaos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #251
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth View Post
In hindsight, ordering skates from an online vendor was a huge mistake. The skates arrived with the king bolt so tight that two people could not loosen them. I also suspect they might be missing speed cone washers, as well. The upshot of this is that I skated for about a month on skates that were not right for me. What was easy and fun on the rental skates was nothing short of terrifying on my own skates. Based on my personal experience, I do not recommend buying skates online. Lucky me, the rink I frequent is owned and staffed by aggressively friendly people who genuinely want skating to be a good experience for me. My skates are finally adjusted to where I can skate on them, but I'm still not completely happy.
All skates usually come too tight, out of the box or from a site, unless you specifically state you want them loose. You just have to fiddle with 'em a bit to get 'em where you want them. My customs came so tight I couldn't turn at all, NO action whatsoever. If you're still not happy, you should try loosening them a little bit more.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #252
Canadianspikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvag View Post
I have the impression you're overdoing it. The pads should sit tight at the beginning without cutting your blood circulation. They will continuously stretch with the use until you have to buy new ones or manually shorten the straps.
Okay, thanks. I just re-measured everything and found that I had measured my legs wrong, which is why I got the weird double 14.5". I'm feeling pretty embarrassed right now for that, hahaha. Sorry about causing all the trouble!
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #253
flowrider2000
New Roller Skater

Angry twisted ankle at skatepark

I bought some quads and went to the skate park with my sons. They skateboard. I was just rolling and trying to get my balance back. I steped over a cord and twisted my ankle the first day.LOL. I have some brand new skates I bought at Dick's sporting good. I am out for a few weeks
flowrider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #254
alvag
Brakeless Bozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrider2000 View Post
I bought some quads and went to the skate park with my sons. They skateboard. I was just rolling and trying to get my balance back. I steped over a cord and twisted my ankle the first day.LOL. I have some brand new skates I bought at Dick's sporting good. I am out for a few weeks
get some inliners, technology is a good thing!
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #255
SkaterMays

Hello all you fellow beginners. I just started skating about three months ago. Signed up at the local rink for lessons, had an absolute blast learning (@almost 45) finally, how to skate properly. I picked it up pretty quick, and when I was done with all classes, I went online and bought an affordable pair of beginner skates (Roller Derby-Stingrays). They're not as custom cool as what the more experienced skaters wear, but they help facilitate my love for roller skating, so I love'em.
I only had one really good spill so far. I was helping my wife (also a beginner) move from point A to point B on the carpet. We took two steps and my wife's feet came out from under her. As she was going down, her right foot was behind my left foot, plus, she had a hold of my left arm. It felt like the whole world was tilting the wrong way. We were both completely air-borne for a second, and then BAM!!! We both hit the ground flat on our backs. That really hurt. An older gentleman sitting on a bench just a foot away from us quickly commented: Man, that's all I needed to see to know I'm never gettin' on those things. Well, my wife is not so much into skating anymore, but I'm hooked.
SkaterMays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #256
7Skaters

Unfortunately, one good (or is that bad?) fall is all it can take to turn some skaters off. Mostly older skaters as kids are lower to the ground and don't care. They don't have as far to fall as we do and don't care about injuries yet.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #257
Raine
Fresh Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth View Post
I fully don't expect anyone to read this, but it will definitely be cathartic for me to post it. About 9.5 years ago I had my second child by my second major abdominal surgery and to be too candid, my junk (aka, pelvic region) still hurts. It hurts when I lift weights, shovel snow, dig in my garden and it even hurts when I'm sitting. After much physical therapy and weight training, I still don't have the strength and control I had before my first surgery almost 12 years ago. Many people tell me that this is just the price of getting older... personally, I think it's the price of inattentive medical care.
I was gonna send this in a PM, but it might help out some other women too.

It sounds like uterine adhesions, which are pretty common after c-section surgery (it's bands of scar tissue formed while healing that pull on your uterus). Try googling or calling around to see if any doctors near you treat it. There are a few different methods, but one is basically a massage technique that's non-invasive and can work even on old scar tissue. My midwife swears by it. (I used it for minor issues - random pain in 2 spots and after exertion up to 10 months post-op - and it worked for me, but she says it's good for serious cases and older scar tissue as well).
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:25 AM   #258
Another Dave

My third day of trying to skate went well. I spent the whole of yesterday walking around the house in my skates sorting out my over tightening issues. Changed where i practice too it seems the closed off road was too rough and the some of concrete cycle paths nearby where just the ticket. That whole push to the side and not back thing worked a treat.

As i live in holland there are loads of waterways. Most of the main bridges over them are paved but in the forest nearby the are made with wooden slates. I went over one today and it was hell. The end of the bridge turns into some dodge brick work and bollards before the paving starts again. I tried to use the heel stop on the way down the bridge, turns out to be a bad idea on wooden slates, and snowploughing but both weren't working. I picked a line and made it down with loads of wobbling and a run out onto the grass on the other side.

Any tips to getting across these bridges or is it something i will just have to keep getting better at. (the though of crawling over did cross my mind)
Another Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #259
dsa0224

i started off skating in the cold streets of hershey pennsylvania this february.. started off falling on my tushie with $50.00 pair of DBX skates from DICKS.. bad idea since they dont sell replacement parts. . it had a pad set with it.

it was good skates but rattles too much.. doing a mile was torture and after a week i gave up on them. so i went to sports authority and bought my first pair of pro skates which were my rollerblade crossfire 90 MX. got it in late february.. put those one and fell a couple of times.. couple of scratches though. but after an hour, i was flying , AND I MEAN FLYING though the streets.. stopping took a while to learn. but i learned a lot of basic techniques from skating videos on youtube. i learned the parts of the skates while living with my friend for a month. so everyday i did research. and long after that i was getting good control. the biggest thing i had to learn the hard way was BALANCE. what good is all that speed and power when you cant control it.

so i kept on skating and got good with my rollerblade crossfire 90mx.. but gave me blisters after long periods in the sun in ft. lauderdale beach.... so i made an investment on my first bearings. i got super reds for my crossfire 90's and it made a decent difference in speed.. they are nice skates still.. but i havent used them in a while. for extended periods of time, there not all that great. are they fast, yes. are they maneuverable.. yep. but my K2 Mach 100 BOA's did a better job.

so 3 weeks ago i bought my k2 mach 100 BOA and got me my bones ceramic reds bearings yesterday. and boy was i blown away.. my main problem about my k2 mach 100 BOA's is that at times my foot shifts during my strides since they are totally soft.. its like wearing socks/ sneakers. but no more blister problems. so i can skate with ease and a lot fastter.. i try to roll on my rear 100mm wheels. i barely lift my foot up to minimize the air resistance. my k2 mach 100 BOA are awsome. ive seen faster skates but they do very well with comfort and stability.

im done buying skates for now. just enjoying and building up my stamina.. i can skate 2 miles non stop for now. but once i work out my legs at LA fitness improving my quads and calves, then maybe then around a year from now ill be ready for marathon.. maybe ill be ready for a marathon by november in san diego. ... AND THEN ILL GET MY FINAL PAIR OF SKATES: K2 RADICAL PRO.

Last edited by dsa0224; May 13th, 2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: picture
dsa0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #260
dsa0224

these are my new K2 mach 100 BOA with bones ceramic bearings

dsa0224 is offline   Reply With Quote