S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 8th, 2018, 09:07 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh

Default Sizing Skates

I have a question about sizing. Before I got my Riedell 120 skates, I had the rink owner measure my foot. It measured a size 8 mens. I got the boots, but they were huge. I had to return them for a 7.

My friend wanted custom Riedells (the 172 boot). She went to a rink where they do artistic skating and help people order boots, plates ect. Everyone told me to go there if I ever want to be sized ect.

So, she gets the boot and it's too big. The toe box is huge. A custom boot that is too big!!! I would have been furious. All that money! So anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could relate.

How do you guys like your boots to fit? I had always wanted a custom pair, but now would never do it. Do you guys have any similar stories? Thanks.

Another thing, the heal is much higher on the 172's compared to the 120's. I had no idea! Any input? Thanks guys. Just reaching out.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
I have a question about sizing. Before I got my Riedell 120 skates, I had the rink owner measure my foot. It measured a size 8 mens. I got the boots, but they were huge. I had to return them for a 7.

My friend wanted custom Riedells (the 172 boot). She went to a rink where they do artistic skating and help people order boots, plates ect. Everyone told me to go there if I ever want to be sized ect.

So, she gets the boot and it's too big. The toe box is huge. A custom boot that is too big!!! I would have been furious. All that money! So anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could relate.

How do you guys like your boots to fit? I had always wanted a custom pair, but now would never do it. Do you guys have any similar stories? Thanks.

Another thing, the heal is much higher on the 172's compared to the 120's. I had no idea! Any input? Thanks guys. Just reaching out.
depends on the person doing it, probably best bet is from an official source from the boot company or an ice rink I would say
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Ancient1

Hi Oicusk82huh,

If you have a RED WING SHOE store near you then try them for sizing then call up Riedell or send them an email explaining the situation and give them the measurements taken.

You can also go to the Riedell page for sizing help: https://www.roller.riedellskates.com/sizing-help
Than should give you some good insight.

Quote:

Old June 15th, 2018, 03:45 AM   #4
larryoracing

Smile This is a late post, but I thought I would put my two cents in...lol!

One, I never considered a 120 boot or a 172 boot a custom boot.
How much does a Custom 172 boot cost?

How much does a 120 boot cost?

My experience with custom boots, is that for 200 dollars they will take several measurements of your foot in different directions and different parts of the feet(s) and make a pair of boots that fit your feet exactly.

So lets say you buy a pair of 297 Riedell boots. They cost about 500 dollars. If you want them custom made to your feet exactly that will cost you an extra 200 dollars, bringing the total price to about 700 dollars.

I have several pair of very expensive boots. Like let's say a pair of Dance Edea Boots. They are not custom and cost about 450 dollars. They don't fit very well. None of my boots fit that well. SP Teri or Edea. But I bought a couple pair of Berry Boots. No break in time and both sets fit perfectly.

That's why I like Berry Boots. Americans and Argentinians have wide feet.
The boots are made wide.

Good Luck,

Most people have problem with their boots, whether they cost 300 dollars or 1300 dollars.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 06:50 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh

Thanks for replying Larry You seem to be a pretty good resource! The 120 boot is not custom, it's just the boot that I have. It was reasonably priced and a complete package. I'm not an artistic skater, so that's why I have so many questions. I find this section of the forum to be the most useful. You guys really know your stuff. The artistic skaters are my favorite group to learn from, hands-down. There's this 85 year old artistic skater that has taught me more than anyone I've ever met. He's so incredible. The artistic skating rinks are all about 2 hours away, so this is my best resource.

My girlfriend got the 172's. I believe they are around $400 and like between $60 and $80 for the custom color. So I guess it's really just the color that is custom. Riedell Custom Color lab? Not like Harlick, I think Harlicks are "actually" custom built skates, right? Oh, Larry, you don't love your Edea's? Why not? SPTeri's too? Can you go into detail about those skates? Don't worry, it's not boring! I'm just so interested in anything to do with descriptions about artistic skates. I looked up the Berry Skates. They look amazing. Please, go into detail!

Still, I'm new to the quad roller skating world, so forgive my stupid questions. I've never even skated in a pair of real artistic boots. I think that for my level of skating, I'll never really need them. However, that doesn't dampen my interest.

Do you guys ever do the same thing...you have something that you love, but you get convinced that the more expensive, professional thing will make you better? Especially when you see your hero's in them. Why do we do that?
Old June 16th, 2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Ancient1

Hi Oicusk82huh,
You are doing good by asking. Keep in mind that each of our comments and recommendations are from our own individual experiences and may or may not suit others. What you get here in the Artistic Forum is from those of us who spent a lot of time mastering our art and we know what works for us. Boots are so very important to enjoyment of skating and good quality skating. I think the 172 (super high top) is a really cool boot and I actually wore a comparable boot back in the 70's and really loved it. I believe it was a Riedell 192. It's been so long ago I can't remember for sure. I went to the 220 when I was told that the 192 was no longer being produced. I was doing doubles and my spins in them back in the early 70's and they gave great support. As for the 220 that I switched to Riedell now sells the 220 retro. The 220 retro is as close to that boot as I could get now.

Concerning the 120 boot. I skated in one and tore it up in a few months. It just could not hold up to my skating. I would say that the 220 is probably the best all around starter to mid level skating boot and still very good for advanced skating. I tried the 375 and it was way too stiff.

When I lose my weight, my next boot will be the 297 Professional. I am now walking 2 miles a day and regaining my strength. I tried running but messed up my knee but it is almost completely healed. Back to 2 miles. I am looking forward to doing freestyle again and the 297 will be my boot of choice.

My advice is: If you are only going a few times a month and not serious about doing more than just skating around in a big circle then the 120's will do you fine. If on the other hand, you come more often and want to do dance or figures or freestyle or even skate fast in races or do anything intricate then get a much better boot. I would suggest the 172 or the 220 retro would be a great skate boot and IT WOULD really make a difference. Mostly is that they would hold up and provide more control. They would be more enjoyable. You most likely don't need a 297 professional or other top of the line but why buy a moped to drive on a freeway when you should have a real motorcycle.

As stated at the beginning: This is my own personal opinion from my own experience and your mileage may vary. Everyone is different. Some want stiff boots, someone want flexible, some like low top some like high top. I like something I can use that is durable and able to do dance and jumps and spins. What do you consider your needs are?

Quote:
Thanks for replying Larry You seem to be a pretty good resource! The 120 boot is not custom, it's just the boot that I have. It was reasonably priced and a complete package. I'm not an artistic skater, so that's why I have so many questions. I find this section of the forum to be the most useful. You guys really know your stuff. The artistic skaters are my favorite group to learn from, hands-down. There's this 85 year old artistic skater that has taught me more than anyone I've ever met. He's so incredible. The artistic skating rinks are all about 2 hours away, so this is my best resource.

My girlfriend got the 172's. I believe they are around $400 and like between $60 and $80 for the custom color. So I guess it's really just the color that is custom. Riedell Custom Color lab? Not like Harlick, I think Harlicks are "actually" custom built skates, right? Oh, Larry, you don't love your Edea's? Why not? SPTeri's too? Can you go into detail about those skates? Don't worry, it's not boring! I'm just so interested in anything to do with descriptions about artistic skates. I looked up the Berry Skates. They look amazing. Please, go into detail!

Still, I'm new to the quad roller skating world, so forgive my stupid questions. I've never even skated in a pair of real artistic boots. I think that for my level of skating, I'll never really need them. However, that doesn't dampen my interest.

Do you guys ever do the same thing...you have something that you love, but you get convinced that the more expensive, professional thing will make you better? Especially when you see your hero's in them. Why do we do that?
Old June 23rd, 2018, 02:10 AM   #7
kcire10

I have no issues with my Riedell 120 boots. I skate almost every day whether at the rink or at home. Lots of spins and tricks and they have held up well for almost a year. I'm also 5'8", 155lbs so that could be part of the reason they're holding up. As for fit, I normally wear a size 9 and that is what I got when I ordered those. They fit me perfectly and are very comfortable.
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Oicusk82huh

Yeah, I was just searching around and noticed one add for the Riedell 172, and it specifically states that it has a wider toe box for enhanced comfort. I'm glad I saw that. I HATE a big toe box.

Kcire10, I know, I'm 5'9" and 135lb, the 120's are holding up perfectly after a year, I just like to dream. The 172's look so cool. It was just disappointing that my friend got her custom skates and they came too big! I wear an 8 1/2 in mens sneakers, but 7 in Riedells. I guess every company and every model is sized differently, (and also every skater likes a different fit).