S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 6th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #461
SixSkate

Default Thank you!

Thanks Ancient 1 and Larry0 for the welcome.

I'll see if I can sort out the pictures. I assume Flickr isn't the best method.

Was told my skates are older versions of the 297's. Regardless of what they are I love them. They fit like a glove and made a huge difference in my skating the first time I put them on. Huge difference from my flat park skates. Won't be jumping any time soon so I'm guessing the plate will hold up until I get to that stage. (If I get there)

LM
SixSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #462
SixSkate

Default Picture for you LarryO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
The Sure Grip Classic is an excellent plate for the Artistic Student. I highly recommend it. Since the plate had Webers wheels on it, the person using the skates was probably a figure skater/went around the black circles painted on the skating surface and did turns.

I don't particular like the Team Roller Bones wheels, but they are OK. Probably would like the Bones wheels a little better.

I wasn't able to view the photos, but the boots are probably 220's or 297's which are fine. Great Boot.

My first skates were the Sure Grip Classic skates. You can still buy them. If you start to jump with these skates they might be a little weak and you will start bending things and have to go to a stronger plate, like a Snyder, Atlas or modern day Roll Line.

Thanks for posting.

Larry O
SixSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 11:27 PM   #463
BHicks

Default Hello

Hi! I joined last year, but never took the time to post.

My name is Brenda. I now live in South Carolina (Myrtle Beach area).

I skated out of Skate City, Littleton in the mid/late seventy's and early eighties. My focus was mainly artistic--freestyle, dance, figure, but I also did speed skating during that time.

My family moved to the mountains of Colorado and opened a rink called Rolling Wheels in Buena Vista in 1983. I competed in freestyle, figures and dance. It stayed open until the early 90's.

Anyway, I've pulled out the skates and am trying to skate again. I can still land most of my singles (I haven't had enough guts to try a loop yet) and still have an awesome outer forward upright.

I'm skating on Harlick custom boots and Atlas AE84 plates with Bones super elite wheels. I had a toe stop shatter and I have been trying to find a replacement. I could really use some guidance if anyone knows where I can find freestyle toe stops to fit my plates (and possibly maintenance parts).

Also, I would love to find out if anyone knows of a rink around me that I could do figures and maybe even some dance? I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2009 and even though I can still land singles and do spins my legs seem to fatigue and I fall doing simple things like skating backwards (I broke my wrist last year....now I don't skate without wrist guards. ) Skating is keeping me moving!
BHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 01:00 AM   #464
larryoracing

Smile SixSkate thanks for the Photo. Awesome Skates!

Dear Brenda,

Wow, your story sounds familiar. It seems that a lot of skaters have parents who have owned skating rinks. I know of three at our skating rink?????

Let's talk about skating rinks in South Carolina I looked at a 2016 Nationals Roller Skating Program and it listed two contestants who qualified out of South Carolina. One skater came from Kates Skating Rink, 1530 Celnese Rd, Rock Hill, South Carolina and the other skater skated out of Roller Time Skate Center, 2310 River Rd, Piedmont, South Carolina. That's all I know and no more...lol! Good Luck. There were a few more contestants from North Carolina.

Let's talk about Toe Stops for American Made Skates. It seems
Atlas uses a common 5/8" thread pattern Toe Stops, so Toes Stops made for Synder, Atlas and Sure Grip should fit. Other Toes Stops for the modern Day Roll Line Skates use a different toe stop and will not work. Roll Line Skates is a European Thread pattern Toe Stop and is different than American made products. So buy an American Made Skate Toe stop of 5/8" thread pattern should work.

Let's talk about health. Most people who skate have some kind of health problem, so we all skate to claim the "Fountain of Youth" and regain our health and hopefully live a long life. Most people are doing pretty good with their health problems and skating all along the way. You are no different. Good for YOU!!!!!

One place where you might find parts for and Atlas Skate is the Competitive Skater. www.competiveskater.com Good Luck!

I don't know how old you are but Competitive Skating for Adults...18 and older is geared to make life a lot easier. Easier Figures with no turns and Dances, Solo and Team that only skate forwards and no backwards skating if you wish.

Well, I hope you find a Rink to skate out of. I hope you continue Skating. You should be able to find parts for your Atlas Skates and I think you local skating rink should be able to help you with a Toe Stop.

Thanks for posting and good health and a happy new year.

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. Believe it or not ,not to many people can do a Single Loop jump at our Rink. Older people 45-63 years old. I completed three in a row the other day and I'm 63 years old.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:52 AM   #465
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Fits Like a Glove

I am willing to bet your boots are the wonderful 297 professionals. Because, fits like a glove were the first thoughts I had when i put mine on about 20 years ago. When I'd worn them out I replaced them with the Riedel 336 Tribute. I prefer the 297.

Also, my 297s were mounted on the suregrip classics. I like the classic plates, but I really love the Roll-Line Mistrals mounted on my 336.

The 297 offers the fit beyond compare, and for me was plenty stiff enough to land jumps, and do three turns, and such.

The 336 has never fit as well as the 297, even though it is built on the same last. Another drawback to the 336, the metal lace keeper has worn through the shearling on one of my boots. I had to remove it in order to keep it from digging into my ankle.

Anyway, you have a nice set of skates.
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:00 AM   #466
markwphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Dear Brenda,

Let's talk about Toe Stops for American Made Skates. It seems
Atlas uses a common 5/8" thread pattern Toe Stops, so Toes Stops made for Synder, Atlas and Sure Grip should fit. Other Toes Stops for the modern Day Roll Line Skates use a different toe stop and will not work. Roll Line Skates is a European Thread pattern Toe Stop and is different than American made products. So buy an American Made Skate Toe stop of 5/8" thread pattern should work.
Roll-Line makes Toe Stops in American and European Threads. You just have to make sure your ordering the proper ones. I had the Atlas AE84 freestyle plate and still have their inline plate. Both of my skates had Roll-Line toe stops.

I have also ordered parts from thecompetitiveskater.com. Just a warning they can be very slow to respond!!
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:49 AM   #467
Ancient1

Hi Brenda,
Welcome! Funny you mentioned Buena Vista. I lived in Colorado Springs in the 80's and 90's. I almost bought a rink in Buena Vista. It was on main st. I made an offer and someone out bid me. Real bummer.

Weren't the 70's a great time to skate. I feel for you on finding a place to skate. Most places have no clue as to what art skating is all about. We had 2 rinks here in Tallahassee and one closed down. The other has no practice time and they frown on skaters doing dance, figures and freestyle because it is so dangerous to the general skating people (or so they say). I really wish I had the money now to open my own rink. But being retired and living on a fixed income makes that only a dream now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHicks View Post
Hi! I joined last year, but never took the time to post.

My name is Brenda. I now live in South Carolina (Myrtle Beach area).

I skated out of Skate City, Littleton in the mid/late seventy's and early eighties. My focus was mainly artistic--freestyle, dance, figure, but I also did speed skating during that time.

My family moved to the mountains of Colorado and opened a rink called Rolling Wheels in Buena Vista in 1983. I competed in freestyle, figures and dance. It stayed open until the early 90's.

Anyway, I've pulled out the skates and am trying to skate again. I can still land most of my singles (I haven't had enough guts to try a loop yet) and still have an awesome outer forward upright.

I'm skating on Harlick custom boots and Atlas AE84 plates with Bones super elite wheels. I had a toe stop shatter and I have been trying to find a replacement. I could really use some guidance if anyone knows where I can find freestyle toe stops to fit my plates (and possibly maintenance parts).

Also, I would love to find out if anyone knows of a rink around me that I could do figures and maybe even some dance? I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 2009 and even though I can still land singles and do spins my legs seem to fatigue and I fall doing simple things like skating backwards (I broke my wrist last year....now I don't skate without wrist guards. ) Skating is keeping me moving!