S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 24th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #21
Sir Aaron

I'm buying new skates. I've decided on everything but the size...LOL.

The Dance and Ring frames are the same except one has a toe stop. The Energy, Mistral, Mariner's Cup, and Variant M are nearly identical except for the metal used. The Mariner's Cup and Variant come with rubber cushions and the Variant doesn't have click action. But they have the same degree kingpin online the Dance. The Matrix is kinda an oddity. The front and back are different. Not sure if it is the kingpin or just the cushions and hangar. The Matrix definitely has a lower geometry.

I met with a Roll Line rep from Italy once. He was reluctant to write the angles down for me. I keep asking SkatesUS because I can never remember. All I can remember is that most of the frames have the same geometry while the dance/ring are more aggressive. The other ones are all a bit unusual. John Bircham, who I spoke with extensively, uses the evo...but either he or Lorenzo broke it while we were in Orlando.

I use ceramic bones for figures. The longevity and free roll are superior to the regular bones. So I use regular for general use/all purpose and ceramic for dance and figures.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 07:33 AM   #22
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

I spoke with a female skater who answered the phone at Roll Line. She told me that the Dance plate has a 30 degree angle.

I remember a post somewhere on this forum awhile ago where someone measured the angles of many of the Roll Line plates.

Sir Aaron, do you feel a difference skating dance with the bones ceramics vs. the regular bones swiss?
BlondeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #23
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWitch View Post
I spoke with a female skater who answered the phone at Roll Line. She told me that the Dance plate has a 30 degree angle.

I remember a post somewhere on this forum awhile ago where someone measured the angles of many of the Roll Line plates.

Sir Aaron, do you feel a difference skating dance with the bones ceramics vs. the regular bones swiss?
I think SkatesUS told me that dance was 30 and most of the other frames were 15? I need to see if I can find my notes. The weird ones were the Spin, Matrix, Evo.

As to the bearings, yes, I feel a difference. Not at first, but over time. The ceramics seem to hold up better over time. That is they give me longer free roll (which I'm defining as the roll I get after a single push) than the regular after a great deal of usage. I have 12 pairs of skates between my family and in general, the ceramics tend to last much, much longer. I've also noticed on the figure skates I coach (I only help with figures), the ceramics tend to give a much longer roll. The difference seems quite stark as soon as the switch is made. So much so that I don't recommend them to new skaters since I think it can give bad habits.

You can also pay Bones $100 to rebuild the Swiss bearings which I've done.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote