S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 27th, 2016, 03:55 AM   #1
jmio

Default new guy here, training about 2 months now, going through wheels like crazy!!!!

Hey all, just joined the group this week and been reading up on everything skate involved. I currently have been skating 3-4 times a week in SE Houston, minimum of 15 miles a session, around a 5 minute mile average. I haven't inline skated since i was in high school, I'm 33 now, and doing this to stay in shape, also I hate running. I have found a passion for this now! But now, I'm finding out that my new rollerblades, the igniter 100's are wearing out super fast, the wheels that is. I have rotated them mulitiple times and they don't even look like 100's anymore, they match the 90 on the second wheel spot now. How long do wheels typicallly last????

They have the 100's on three of the 4 wheels, and a 90 on the second wheel. I ride entirely outside, through rain, and sunshine, doesn't matter, what wheels would yall recommend for grip in rain, and durability. I'm an ex collegiate football player, and weigh 220, so i think i might be kinda hard on things. I bought these rollerblades due to people saying that the 110 with race boots are not good to start out on, so until I build up some ankle stability I will just have to deal with the different size wheels, I can see this being a pain though!!!!

I am digging the blades though, they are comfy and pretty quick! I am going to use them until they just completely wear out, or until i'm worthy of being able to skate on some race boots and be in shape to do them justice! Thanks for your time helping me out with this stuff, complete newb, and not even sure what online shops are good, or if there are even local skate shops for me to support, i live in Houston.
jmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:27 PM   #2
WJCIV

Rollerblade likes to attach cheap quality urethane to their low end stuff. It doesn't surprise me that you're going through the wheels that quickly. Consider switching to the Atom One, Bont G15, or Atom Matrix+ wheels when your current set wears out. I only have experience with the Matrix+ in that group, but I did try the G3, which was an earlier generation of Bont's wheel. The Matrix+ costs a bit more, but for me the extra roll is worth it.

For a rec skater I would think that you should get a season out of a set of wheels.

If you skate in the rain are you noticing any problems with the bearings afterwards?

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #3
jmio

i take the wheels off, dry them, and apply some oil/lube stuff i have laying around after skating in wet conddiitions. wheels seem to spin for days after. sounds much better too. I'm wondering how long i should skate on these things before trying a race boot from bont with 110 wheels, or comparative speaking.
jmio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #4
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Yeah, good wheels make a difference. I also go a little higher up the hardness than I would typically like for comfort. But the wheels will shrink for sure. I get about 1000 miles out of a set of wheels and they typically lose 4mm before I think about new ones. I'm rolling on 85A.
Old May 28th, 2016, 02:37 AM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Old May 29th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #6
bjvircks
Major Trouble

WJCIV is right on target regarding cheap wheels on entry-level skates. This is done for two reasons... 1)keep the price low 2)soft wheels make skates comfortable for new skaters.

There is an old wheel that may be making a comeback... I think you should consider them. And even if they are not being made fresh again... there are a lot of places that still have stock of prior batches.

The Bont Highroller mint is a wheel that had a reputation as a good value wheel because of having good roll and long wear. There were Mint (85) and Pink (87). I've had both. At 220 lbs I think Pink would be better for you but I think only Mint is coming back.

As you've been seeing... cheap wheels may not be any kind of bargain. They wear quickly and so need to be rotated frequently. They wear quickly and so need to be replaced more often. They wear quickly and so get smaller/slower sooner. While a quality wheel does cost more you might find you get higher satisfaction and less hassle per dollar spent.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 06:45 PM   #7
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

These wheels are great but only go up to 80mm. Since 80 is a large as I care to use they are great for me.

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/L...FQkNaQod5-MHgA