S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 9th, 2014, 05:47 AM   #1
mmmm_bacon
Senior Poser - Vote 4 Me!

Default Plates and skate building for very small children/kids

Firstly, since this about both an indoor-use build and about plate sizing-charts I have no idea what section/sub-section this belongs in. MODS - please move this thread to the most appropriate section.

Second, finding plates for very small shoes/boots is proving a challenge. I'm asking for the forum's help in compiling the following information on "smallest plate" offerings from various manufacturers for shoes/boots smaller than Juvenile-10 since J10+ plates are ubiquitous these days.

I've even reached out to some of the manufacturers directly, but so far, all I've received in return are replies saying that the information is for dealers/shops only, or worse... just radio silence. I presently work with several durable goods manufacturers and have worked for other manufacturers and retailers in the past, so I get it - I understand why some specs and especially processes are considered trade secrets or privileged. But this is just wrong-headed. The plates are out there in the public domain to be weighed and measured, so why try to keep it secret? I know lots of the forum members here are shop techs and shop owners, so PLEASE HELP ME COMPLETE THIS CHART... please! I know I'm not the only person to have done a google search looking for specs and couldn't find them, and a lot of google searches lead to this forum soooo...

If you have any of these on your workbenches please post the measurements in this thread, or if you're worried about doing it publicly and incurring the 'wrath' of a manufacturer you buy from, just PM me the measurements instead, so I can complete this chart. I know it would be helpful to lots of other people besides myself.

Third, I'm in the middle of a soccer cleat build for indoor/rink use for my youngest. They wear a J7 shoe but do pixie skate lessons and family/matinee sessions in J8 brownies (always the smallest available at the rinks) and since they grow so fast, I decided to stick with J8's or J9's. The first order of business was finding the right shoe. We narrowed it down to these three:

They liked all of them, ranking them from left to right: 1st, 3rd and a very close 2nd, respectively. Everyone else in the family seemed to agree that the Vizari's were the best. They also happen to fit them the best. They also just so happen to look more like a low-top skate boot than either of the Diadoras. So I guess we have a clear winner!

More to follow.

Last edited by mmmm_bacon; January 1st, 2017 at 10:34 PM.
mmmm_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #2
mmmm_bacon

Beginning cleat removal.

Cleats removed from one.

Finalizing wheel selection - Route 66's vs Chicago Mini's

Finalizing wheel selection - The colors don't translate well in these pictures, but the Route 66's were a much better color match. They were also slightly smaller, which in this application is a plus.

Last edited by mmmm_bacon; January 1st, 2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #3
mmmm_bacon

Tracing of insole with 2nd/3rd toe gap and heel marked.

Then marked plate position and drill hole positions.

Transferred to carbon fiber stiffening plate.

Soul stiffeners cut out from blank stock.

Last edited by mmmm_bacon; January 5th, 2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #4
mmmm_bacon

With carbon fiber plates glued and drilled, the mounting holes were reamed using a mounting bolt (and washer to protect the carbon fiber) attached to a drill to clean out the excess materials in the mounting holes.

Perhaps one of the biggest potential problems with the build. There was very little material to spare around the mounting holes at the heel. This means the plate cannot be moved any further forward or there would be so little material it would be dangerous to tighten the bolts for fear of cracking the plate. Ditto for when it comes time to snap off the excess bolt length.

Plate mounted.

Last edited by mmmm_bacon; August 13th, 2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old June 9th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #5
mmmm_bacon

With the trucks and wheels installed.

Last edited by mmmm_bacon; August 13th, 2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old June 10th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #6
Armadillo

Hope your kids appreciate all your effort to give them lightweight & cool looking custom built skates.

Be sure the Shoe Goo Is fully dried before skating them. If you can smell the vapor it is not dry.

-Armadillo