S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Default Where Is There A Rhythm, JB, Dance Like Rink In Pittsburgh Area?

I 'm visiting Pittsburgh over the weekend and wanted to so some Rhythm, JB type skating (the less aggressive type).

Can anyone suggest a rink?

Last edited by Knezz; August 30th, 2014 at 12:14 AM.
Knezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #2
diagetus

Hello Knezz. Looks like this one is your best bet:

Romp N' Roll
1661 East Sutter RD.
Glenshaw PA, 15116
PH: 412.486.4117

I haven't skated there myself, but I use skategroove.com rink link feature to find the relevant rinks. It's not 100% bullet proof, but I find that usually gives me what I'm looking for in this respect.

Good luck! You'll have to tell us how it goes.
Old July 5th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #3
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Thanks for the reply. Your timing is Perfect . I just arrived in Pittsburgh this afternoon. I asked a couple of people and they did mention Romp and Roll. I will find out tomorrows schedule.

Thanks for the tip on the site.
Old July 5th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #4
diagetus

Glad I could be of help Knezz.
Have fun!!
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #5
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

I did go to Romp and Roll. The floor wasn't all that great. It had urethane clumped up in a section on the floor. The floor was a bit rough. There weren't many people there. It was a very short 15 minute ride away.

But, I did get a chance to skate an that is what really matters. I just wanted to give my honest opinion. I'm not a prude so I will probably go back during my September trip if I can't find another rink in the vicinity.

Thanks - so much for the help.
Old July 11th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #6
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Donora and Neville Island

Hi

Late as usual to notes now days, and just taking a break.

I would try out the one over in Neville Island. The male owner is a SLF member and married to Sophie and DocSk8 (Fred) skates there. Another is a bit away down south in Donora that Iggy used to work at and do the floors. It is a bit of trip away yet I would probably go there first.

I don't believe they have JB or Rythmn so much in Pittsburgh. Yet it is over in Cleveland, Ohio. MORE yet will stop

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
So you got three people to PM and a few more. DocSk8, Iggy, pappawheelie

Edit-01: Please No PMs. My mailbox is full and has been for a long long time. Sorry

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; July 11th, 2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Forgot No PMs
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 04:56 AM   #7
PappaWheelie

Romp N Roll may not be doing Jam night on Saturdays on the weekends. But also look into Neville Roller Drome in Neville Island.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #8
Spacevan27

Default Neville Roller Drome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaWheelie View Post
But also look into Neville Roller Drome in Neville Island.
This rink is excellent, Jim and Sophie make you feel like family.
If I lived anywhere near this rink it would be my go to place.
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #9
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Now headed to Maryland - near Ft. Meade. There is a late night skate in Baltimore. I read an article a few years back that a retired football player opened the rink. They called him "Shake & Bake" which is the name of the complex. Just asking as I'm not familiar with Baltimore. Some inner-city rinks are a no no.
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:06 AM   #10
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I visited Neville last year for the Friday warmup before rollerjam and EWNB 2013. Got to talk with the owner, Doc, and other fellow skaters on the same trip, and some from the rink.

What a great place to go skate. No silly games, no lazer tag and nonsense. He runs a SKATING rink, not a daycare center, and hes proud of it. I felt my session cost was more than worth it.

The floor is well kept, and has moderate to good grip. even with grippy wheels on when I was there the floor felt "right" to me. similar to home but a bigger floor with better grip, solid as you want it to be too! A lot of floors are "too hard" like painted concrete, or feel "too soft" like wood laid on carpet... Not this floor. If anyone asked me , its the perfect firmness.

The rink in pretty long compared to most, and one could set up racing there, most of the floor is blocked in by a wall. Which I largely prefer. This keeps on/off traffic to a manageable amount.
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #11
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I visited Neville last year for the Friday warmup before rollerjam and EWNB 2013. Got to talk with the owner, Doc, and other fellow skaters on the same trip, and some from the rink.

What a great place to go skate. No silly games, no lazer tag and nonsense. He runs a SKATING rink, not a daycare center, and hes proud of it. I felt my session cost was more than worth it.

The floor is well kept, and has moderate to good grip. even with grippy wheels on when I was there the floor felt "right" to me. similar to home but a bigger floor with better grip, solid as you want it to be too! A lot of floors are "too hard" like painted concrete, or feel "too soft" like wood laid on carpet... Not this floor. If anyone asked me , its the perfect firmness.

The rink in pretty long compared to most, and one could set up racing there, most of the floor is blocked in by a wall. Which I largely prefer. This keeps on/off traffic to a manageable amount.
Thanks - I will do Neville in September when I'm back in Pittsburgh.
Old July 26th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #12
Rink Rat
Rhythm Skater

Laurel Skating Center is relatively close to Ft. Meade...

http://laurelskating.com/

You might want to check it out.
Rink Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Are you in Pittsburgh or Baltimore?
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #14
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Are you in Pittsburgh or Baltimore?
I was in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago but was in the Baltimore area this weekend.

An unexpected work issue came up so I was on the phone on Saturday until 10pm so I missed checking out the Laurel rink. My fortune had The Shake & Bake rink open at 12am to 5am So I went there.

The floor was pretty good. The rink size was just a tad small but comfortable. The crowd was eclectic and friendly. My experience in Baltimore was much better than my Pittsburgh experience at Romp & Roll.

One thing I'm finding is that the skating styles I embraced 35 years ago is quite different from today's skating. I need to embrace some of the changes or go home.

Thanks everyone for responding.
Old July 28th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #15
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

There's Shack N Back and Sportsman Hall both near and around Baltimore area both very nice rinks with wood floors and cleaned.
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #16
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knezz View Post
I was in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago but was in the Baltimore area this weekend.

An unexpected work issue came up so I was on the phone on Saturday until 10pm so I missed checking out the Laurel rink. My fortune had The Shake & Bake rink open at 12am to 5am So I went there.

The floor was pretty good. The rink size was just a tad small but comfortable. The crowd was eclectic and friendly. My experience in Baltimore was much better than my Pittsburgh experience at Romp & Roll.

One thing I'm finding is that the skating styles I embraced 35 years ago is quite different from today's skating. I need to embrace some of the changes or go home.

Thanks everyone for responding.
Kewl. I used to go to Shake-N-Bake every Sunday when I lived there. The have other rinks there as well. In the future you may wanna checkout www.skategroove.com. There's information there on rinks in different areas for many different styles of skating.
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #17
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Yes I did see that website ... Thanks for the tip.
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #18
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday Guy View Post
There's Shack N Back and Sportsman Hall both near and around Baltimore area both very nice rinks with wood floors and cleaned.
Since I hit Shake & Bake this time the next time I'm in the area it will be the Sportsman Hall. Thanks for the help.
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #19
diagetus

Thank you for sending feedback on the Pittsburg rink Knezz. I think you chose well to attend Shake N Bake. It's probably safe to say that's the flagship rink for dancers in Baltimore city. I think there's a rink in Towson as well...but unsure of the name.
Ah! Found it on skategroove:

Skateland - Orchard
8855 Orchard Tree Lane
Towson, MD 21286
PH: 410.825.3013
Adult Night 21+ Sat. 11pm-2am

That's the other spot that's well talked about AFAIK.
Old July 29th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #20
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagetus View Post
Thank you for sending feedback on the Pittsburg rink Knezz. I think you chose well to attend Shake N Bake. It's probably safe to say that's the flagship rink for dancers in Baltimore city. I think there's a rink in Towson as well...but unsure of the name.
Ah! Found it on skategroove:

Skateland - Orchard
8855 Orchard Tree Lane
Towson, MD 21286
PH: 410.825.3013
Adult Night 21+ Sat. 11pm-2am

That's the other spot that's well talked about AFAIK.
Hey! What about the rink in Lanham and the one in Temple Hills???

The good part about residing in that area is that you can skate practically every day of the week. All of those rinks have multiple days with multiple specials.