S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old September 4th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Default What is this "Snap" Skating Stuff?

I'm just returning to skating after 35 years. Some of the skating is new to me. I'm am what I call a Rhythm skater. I've notice that quite a few people are doing "Snap" skating. I see it as individuals mostly out of control as they do there moved. Also, quite a number of the moves, these skaters couldn't do without assistance of a partner. I would endorse it more if the skaters had control over their moves and they could do the moves solo. I kinda think needing someone else is a crutch to allow the moves to be done. I think it can be erratic and sometimes a recipe for a crash.

I couldn't find a video showing the true lack of control (in my opinion).

This is a more controlled version of Snapping. Usually, I see more uncontrolled moves across the center of the floor and back - in large crowds in close quarters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXmSDWtYpPc

Slower version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk0Xh...73B61B137385B4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_yXreyZ9c

Am I being a grumpy old man who needs to catch up with the times in your opinion? I just think it is better skating to have control over all of your moves (with an occasional oops hear and there).

I've seen Snapping done on a fast backwards skate which looked really cool as the speed and the moves at the same time showed some true skill and the skater wasn't all over the place. He was inline with his 5 backwards skating partner (all going a lightspeed).

I'll standby waiting for the Snappers to tear me a new one..
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #2
diagetus

Hello Knezz. Hehe. Yeah, I had to have someone show me snapping as well. What I can say is the lead snapper is putting a lot more force on that arm than you may suspect. If the snapper and the support man do not have strength it looks sloppy. I was able to support a snapper for about half a song and I was already starting to tire out. Snapping is for those with energy!

Quote:
I would endorse it more if the skaters had control over their moves and they could do the moves solo.
Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head - I suspect that many of the best snappers don't need the assist and the trains are more for flare than a necessity. Virtually all the styles have a train formation, so I wasn't surprised to see that incorporated into snapping.

Quote:
Am I being a grumpy old man who needs to catch up with the times in your opinion?
I don't think it's a matter of catching up with the times though. I think it's more a matter of taste. Snapping has certainly been around in the east. Baltimore is probably the city of origin. It just recently caught fire and has proved appealing to the youth. I've seen it adopted by skaters from east to west and I find that quite rare when it comes to Rhythm. Each area is adding their own flare to it, which I think is healthy. Never the less, it isn't being accepted wholesale by all. People or either jumping in or they are keeping their distance. I enjoy watching it myself, but have no interest in delving into the practice.

So in summary - It's not just you Knezz. I think snapping is a "love it or leave it" sort of thing.

Hope this helps!
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #3
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
What I can say is the lead snapper is putting a lot more force on that arm than you may suspect.
I did notice that quite a bit of force was being applied. Quite a number of support personnel would have their fist balled and you can see the biceps muscles flexed.

Quote:
I think it's more a matter of taste.
I currently don't have the taste for it. I'm too old and wise to ever say never.

Quote:
Baltimore is probably the city of origin.
I've seen it in the Philadelphia, New Jersey and Pittsburgh areas but when I was in Baltimore almost everyone was doing it (along with playing "Go-Go" music ). You are smarter than the average bear

Quote:
I think snapping is a "love it or leave it" sort of thing.
Leaving it for now.
Tomorrow is another day.

Quote:
Hope this helps!
Very helpful. I'm not crazy!!!!

Thanks for the response.
Old September 5th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #4
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Looks Good, Lots of Skate Talent

Hi,

Well

It actually looks like a lot of fun. It is similar to PA/NJ Flea_Bop Hop type of skating. Think toes and lots of moves on the skate toes and up on the heels as well.

Unless you have been doing this stuff for decades like some of the PA/NY/NJ/ MD skaters it is best to leave this for the young quite talented skaters.

To be honest this and more was around in the 1950s, when dance skating of all types like the Lindy (Jitter Bug) was popular on hard wheels and different floors.

Skating on the same floor as skaters who skate as well as these young talented skaters can Pick up your Game.

Haven't found a good clean link, yet here is one of skaters doing a lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CScotuMEQEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQW-Gi_QtIc
A Dandy by Jonhy Sharp on the Organ
^ His brother on skates is quite awesome.
^ Sorry white gals and guys and quite a bit older, like your age.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Old September 5th, 2014, 06:15 AM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I wanna see someone do that with wheels that don't make the moves so easy. Super hard wheels allow a considerable amount of slide and reduce the difficulty of moves. Then with the support person in the mix I can't see it as great skating skill. It looks cool though. At least the very first link in this thread was a descent vid. But heck some of us at my rink get crazy without a supporting skater.
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #6
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi,

Well

It actually looks like a lot of fun. It is similar to PA/NJ Flea_Bop Hop type of skating. Think toes and lots of moves on the skate toes and up on the heels as well.

Unless you have been doing this stuff for decades like some of the PA/NY/NJ/ MD skaters it is best to leave this for the young quite talented skaters.

To be honest this and more was around in the 1950s, when dance skating of all types like the Lindy (Jitter Bug) was popular on hard wheels and different floors.

Skating on the same floor as skaters who skate as well as these young talented skaters can Pick up your Game.

Haven't found a good clean link, yet here is one of skaters doing a lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CScotuMEQEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQW-Gi_QtIc
A Dandy by Jonhy Sharp on the Organ
^ His brother on skates is quite awesome.
^ Sorry white gals and guys and quite a bit older, like your age.

Amazing to see the similarities. I see snapping in both videos
2nd video around 8:33 - the older gentleman can give those young snappers a run for there money.
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #7
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I wanna see someone do that with wheels that don't make the moves so easy. Super hard wheels allow a considerable amount of slide and reduce the difficulty of moves. Then with the support person in the mix I can't see it as great skating skill. It looks cool though. At least the very first link in this thread was a descent vid. But heck some of us at my rink get crazy without a supporting skater.
One point of contention - I don't think a skater would change his/her wheels to make a move more difficult.. That's like saying everyone should use wooden tennis rackets because aluminum rackets allow one to hit the ball harder.

I need to get to WV and learn something!!! What night and where
Old September 5th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #8
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knezz View Post
One point of contention - I don't think a skater would change his/her wheels to make a move more difficult.. That's like saying everyone should use wooden tennis rackets because aluminum rackets allow one to hit the ball harder.

I need to get to WV and learn something!!! What night and where
If you're in the DC area you'll see all the snappin' you wanna see. I lived there for about 6 years and a lotta people do that form of skating. And the Baltimore Bounce. I could never get into either but I always try to watch them when I can.
Old September 6th, 2014, 05:10 AM   #9
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default True as ALL Get Out

Yes Knezz,

Quote:
Amazing to see the similarities. I see snapping in both videos
2nd video around 8:33 - the older gentleman can give those young snappers a run for there money.
What is really fun to see in person, is the old in their 60s and sometimes later skating on the same floor with the 12's 18 and 20s. The 20s of all colors and races learn to throw it all out and learn new moves from their now elders.

Once Upon a Time they were Young and even hotter than this video courtesy of a video_ograther doing J. Sharpe from Cleveland like Ken does down in MD and PA and New Jersey.

Let's be honest, the new and young once learned are Fantastic

Old September 6th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #10
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
I'm just returning to skating after 35 years. Some of the skating is new to me. I'm am what I call a Rhythm skater. I've notice that quite a few people are doing "Snap" skating. I see it as individuals mostly out of control as they do there moved. Also, quite a number of the moves, these skaters couldn't do without assistance of a partner. I would endorse it more if the skaters had control over their moves and they could do the moves solo. I kinda think needing someone else is a crutch to allow the moves to be done. I think it can be erratic and sometimes a recipe for a crash.

I couldn't find a video showing the true lack of control (in my opinion).

This is a more controlled version of Snapping. Usually, I see more uncontrolled moves across the center of the floor and back - in large crowds in close quarters.

Am I being a grumpy old man who needs to catch up with the times in your opinion? I just think it is better skating to have control over all of your moves (with an occasional oops hear and there).

I've seen Snapping done on a fast backwards skate which looked really cool as the speed and the moves at the same time showed some true skill and the skater wasn't all over the place. He was inline with his 5 backwards skating partner (all going a lightspeed).

I'll standby waiting for the Snappers to tear me a new one..
Seems like, after perusing your first video, a watch of the last skate scene in Roll Bounce, bow-wow was creating what you're describing, and he was simply roting what he had watched, but watching his routine is wonderful, btw, he's alone, no help with balance, yes, there may have been many different takes, nevertheless, superb skating, again, he was simply doing what he had observed (roting) or was taught by the skater in the white, with the dreds during the credits, that guys a great skater.
These videos with skaters holding on to others are simply videos of skaters still in transition, no sense in commenting on them until they are finished learning what they have undertaken to learn, so, go to the source (the guy in white with the dreds) and watch, don't emulate the people emulating others emulating others none of which has finished the process of learning.
BTW, someone instructed the guy in white with the dreds, love to see a line of skaters of that quality. (It's simple to do it fast if you can do it slow, doing it slow is where the skill lies)
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 05:21 AM   #11
Knezz
Olde School And Olde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
again, he was simply doing what he had observed (roting) or was taught by the skater in the white, with the dreds during the credits, that guys a great skater.
You must mean the guy in the white tee-shirt and "do rag" (not dreads) who was center floor dancing who came on directly after the young lady took the mirror from Nick Canon????

Quote:
BTW, someone instructed the guy in white with the dreds, love to see a line of skaters of that quality.
Not really. One normally get a base in that style of dancing and begin to experiment with different twists to the style. I rarely see the same sequence of moves among different skaters nor do I see it in the same skater. Most times it's adlib. As for seeing a group of skaters of that caliber - E Williams should be able to suggest a rink for you.

Tori: "Man!!! That routine was great!!! But that ah triple lux thingy you tried - probably shouldn't have done that.". They were perfect lines..
Old September 7th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #12
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Disagree with this Observation

Hi Kneez,
you too ursle (Hope we got past that rough spot)

Quote:
o - o These videos with skaters holding on to others are simply videos of skaters still in transition, no sense in commenting on them until they are finished learning what they have undertaken to learn, so, go to the source (the guy in white with the dreds) and watch, o - o
Since I have skated in Rinks doing twosomes, threesomes (tripples), and some of this tossing around stuff, I will disagree with this 'still learning' comment. I do understand if you have never rink skated with high performers this could be an observation.

Tossing around and holding a partner builds up the speed and kind of throws you out of control and then you get it back again because you are good. Our one friend Connie at Skateland has done with me a threesome toss around and it can be kind of scary in parts particularly coming around the corner.

SO I disagree that "they' in this video are learning.
Roller Bounce was OK, yet seen better in person.
^ Too much staging, and posturing.

At Skateland, Marc gave many of us passes, for a sneak preview when that first came out. Got the pass yet did not go. I have watched the movie a few times and still like it.

P.S. Now Ursle, Don't get mad at me cause I gave you info..
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:32 PM   #13
purlingwood

I have never seen anything like that "snap" skating near me. IT's good to see another generation enjoying the rink though.

I agree it does look like they're building confidence to skate those moves more than working on a particular style of skating.

Dave, thanks for posting that flea bop video. It is sure nice seeing a rink full of experienced skating, don't see something to that extent over in the Albany area. Nice to hear that organ music too.
purlingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 11:26 PM   #14
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
You must mean the guy in the white tee-shirt and "do rag" (not dreads) who was center floor dancing who came on directly after the young lady took the mirror from Nick Canon????

Not really. One normally get a base in that style of dancing and begin to experiment with different twists to the style. I rarely see the same sequence of moves among different skaters nor do I see it in the same skater. Most times it's ad-lib.

Tori: "Man!!! That routine was great!!! But that ah triple lux thingy you tried - probably shouldn't have done that.". They were perfect lines..
Ah, finally caught the movie again and yes the guy after she takes away the mirror, to my minds eye, he was the best skater involved, simply my point, and I refer to the movie for the sequence by bow-wow, even though it had lots of takes the final product is nice, and it's all popping from one position to another,
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:22 AM   #15
jbgerman

Quote:
Ah, finally caught the movie again and yes the guy after she takes away the mirror, to my minds eye, he was the best skater involved, simply my point, and I refer to the movie for the sequence by bow-wow, even though it had lots of takes the final product is nice, and it's all popping from one position to another,
Just for the records. Bow Wow didn't skated the advanced roller skating scenes in "Roll Bounce" himself. The "stunt double" was Michael "Mike" Johnson, a protege of legend Bill Butler. Sadly he has passed away all of a sudden this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOqS3oH9J00
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:40 PM   #16
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Skating I have Seen, Yep that is IT and Great

Hi Jbgerman,
and Thanks for the REAL uncut youtube feed. FUN watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
Just for the records. Bow Wow didn't skated the advanced roller skating scenes in "Roll Bounce" himself. The "stunt double" o - o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOqS3oH9J00
Reminds me of two 80+ year old women who finally were able to say that they were the real singers for the vast majority of hollywood stars in the movies for decades. At plus 80 they could still hit ranges. And we know hollywood cares about image not substance SO the studios banned them under contract law.

Anyway Roller Bounce must have been heavily edited, since in this video we see the stops, slow downs, and change ups. Normal things you see for even great skaters. And when did he use his sweat towel?

As an aside, it makes me sad that I don't have videos of some of the great skaters that I have skated with that do magic with their feet and bodies. Magic like you read in books. One who did heels up and chin to the floor, plus many more. Several in Mass, several in PA, NY, NJ, etc. Oh Well..

Edit-01: OK I called him Bob for years when we skated together yet that is not his first name. Normally we both skated on teen nights, with him quite a bit better than me and the teens in almost everything. In addition to chin to the floor, like in the books he did side surfing and other stuff beyond magic. He could side surf with one skate one way the other skate the other way and both side by side. NOW in my life I will never see that again. The stuff he did was and is impossible, even though I skated next to him.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; September 25th, 2014 at 03:56 AM. Reason: As Long as I am on Bob
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote