S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 15th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Bomber

Default $200 wheels?

A side discussion is popping up in the for sale section that I find interesting. I don't want it to seem like we're picking on the seller in anyway so I thought that I'd bring the discussion here...

So here's the question: Is there a set of wheels (not in the wrapper, that adds "collectable" value) that you'd pay $200 for anymore?

I think that Aussie Scotts probably qualify but that's largely based on the difficulty in getting them here in the US. I know that some nice OG Shamans sat in the for sale section at $175. Nice set of Primo Deanos? Just seems to me like $200+ is a really tough sell anymore...
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #2
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Basically it's what the buyer is willing to spend. I can think of maybe two to three types of wheels I would consider. Some have popped up for sale here on the forum when I didn't have the cash and there has been a set or two that I have purchased.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #3
Gville-Schooler
THAT'S HOW I ROLL!!!

depends if your a true skater or not, a lot of members will spend that and have no idea if the wheels will perform or not. but for a wheel that will perform i dont mind spending that. but i probably wont since im pretty happy with the anabolix, since the anabolix are the only wheels staying on my skates.
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #4
rsfaze
Old School™

the market has changed because of the current offered wheels. Back when Green Shamans and Purple Wicked lips sold for high dollar there was no other option for skaters. Now that there are numerous current wheels offered that perform along sides of Wicked Lips and Shamans, why would someone pay more?

After owning them all I've sold almost all of my old school wheels for new wheels except for my beloved green Shamans, but thats pure nostalgic as I hardly skate them.
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #5
Inline?-LOL
Did you just fall???

I might pay $200 for a sealed set of Old School Yellow Shamans, perfect color, etc. But in reality I would be quicker to bite in the $150 range..
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #6
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline?-LOL View Post
I might pay $200 for a sealed set of Old School Yellow Shamans, perfect color, etc. But in reality I would be quicker to bite in the $150 range..
i think gville had a sealed set right when the shamans started to drop.... i cant remember if they sold or not

back when i started talking on here i was selling NOS fanjets for $300 a set... now you cant get anyhtign for them people only want the hubs
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #7
rsfaze
Old School™

Starspike I think it was finally bought Gville set of sealed yellow shamans, one less sealed set sitting around as Starspike opened them when he got them.

Given the current product lines.. why would someone spend more for something? Example.. SG da45 plates are cheap compared to a Roll Line plate, where years ago Roll Line was the only current plate that was worth the money, but not anymore.
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #8
The Rebel
Taking it back old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanJet8 View Post
Basically it's what the buyer is willing to spend. I can think of maybe two to three types of wheels I would consider.
+1 Read my sig. I'd spend 2 bills for a set of them....
Old November 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #9
fierocious1

Default $200 only to wear them out...

I go through wheels fairly fast so AJs work well for me. Tread only lives a couple of months and I change them out, they get rough and out of round somewhat. I can't see spending that kind of money on wheels just to have to replace them fairly soon. I bought 6 sets when the anabolix came out. Only one set in the wrapper left. 4 tires got damaged from flat spotting. $60 a set is great for me.
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #10
pathfinder19

For me as long as the TIRE is being made no need to spend more than the price of them at $60.00.
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #11
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder19 View Post
For me as long as the TIRE is being made no need to spend more than the price of them at $60.00.
I had two sets of the "TIRE" and sold them both.....they wear quicker than my original Vanguards. They did have good grip and roll but I'll stick with the originals.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Spartan
.45 Magnum

I think RSFaze nailed it. A couple of years ago, the only way to get a good wheel was to buy old wheels from back in the day when companies cared about us. Now, those days are back, and there are very good wheels available for cheaper. I love my USA Cannibals, but there are several new wheels that I could also love.
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #13
masmojo

Wink RE: $200

I can't see myself paying $200 for any wheel; Why? Not cause I don't want them or anything, but mostly because I am starting to figure out just how "disposable" Wheels are.

I bit into the fever for the Anabolix and Peanut hubs and now I have a couple sets; I really like the way they skate and I like the fact that hopefully I only need to buy tires every little while, otherwise I probably would not have spent as much as the Hubs and wheels cost total. $100 is about my limit and I have been fortunate to pick up some good wheels here and there for Real CHEAP!

I would love to try some Deano's or Lips, but would not give allot of money for them. Hopefully my Peabolix will never be tireless so it's not a Dilemma I have!

Last edited by masmojo; November 15th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
masmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #14
niteridr95

older wheels last longer... they dont wear out as quickly... the old wheels will always be better... people just dont want to spend the money to find that out
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Gville-Schooler
THAT'S HOW I ROLL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteridr95 View Post
older wheels last longer... they dont wear out as quickly... the old wheels will always be better... people just dont want to spend the money to find that out
Thats there loss....I'll keep the rest of my older wheels. Especially my mint jumbo vangards. Not too many people will ever get the feel of the awesome vangaurd formula.
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #16
rsfaze
Old School™

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteridr95 View Post
older wheels might last longer.. it all depends on how you care for your wheels and how you treat them. Anything older was made to last longer than ANYTHING made today but that's the disposable world we live in today.
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #17
Bomber

Default Market "fear"...

I think that market "fear" will also continue to drive prices down for a while. Look at this thread...the majority of people are saying that they won't buy a $200 set. Even 1 year ago (pre CJ) it seemed like prices were pretty consistent and you could buy a wheel to try and if you didn't like it, you could probably turn around and get 90-100% of your money back on it the next day in the for sale section. I don't think people feel comfortable that they can turn wheels around at the higher prices quickly anymore, so they're reluctant to buy them in the first place. If you buy a high dollar wheel now you probably need to plan on it being yours for awhile, or be willing to accept a substantial (percentage-wise loss) on a resale.
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #18
rsfaze
Old School™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
I think that market "fear" will also continue to drive prices down for a while. Look at this thread...the majority of people are saying that they won't buy a $200 set. Even 1 year ago (pre CJ) it seemed like prices were pretty consistent and you could buy a wheel to try and if you didn't like it, you could probably turn around and get 90-100% of your money back on it the next day in the for sale section. I don't think people feel comfortable that they can turn wheels around at the higher prices quickly anymore, so they're reluctant to buy them in the first place. If you buy a high dollar wheel now you probably need to plan on it being yours for awhile, or be willing to accept a substantial (percentage-wise loss) on a resale.
ask steve about losing money on wheels.. I think he loses more than almost anyone. Sad in the end you pay so much and can't even break even at times.
Old November 15th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #19
Sidewinder
UFO

One thing to consider is that top end prices for current wheels is creeping up there now. $130-150 top end current retail and possibly going to go higher. Most of the responders thus far pretty much have got their holy grails for old school wheels so far. Those that didn't get in on that party have snagged up enough Craigjets to last a good while even with quicker wear. No idea how they take a regroove yet.

That said, I'd still drop 200+ for a set of NOS Sims Red/White/Blue 63's. I don't think they exist that haven't been skated or faded. Some of us, it would have to be a very specific wheel to drop that on a set. It'll come back though. Nostalgia just took a detour for a bit.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #20
Smokin_Endo
Satellite Commander

I'd pay $200 for for any mint set of regular production Sims Vipers

Smokin_Endo is offline   Reply With Quote