S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 9th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #21
Dec8rSk8r

My almost 14 year old likes their appearance. They look real comfortable, and should fit his wider than average foot pretty well, since they're Vanilla's.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #22
Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicDJ View Post
Also, that V on the center looks extra big
Possible reason: This is Vanilla's first attempt to crack the derby market. Riedell (and to far lesser extent Sure-Grip) have had an absolute death-grip on this market.

The brass knuckles catch your eye. Look bad-ass even. The big V sets up the brand identity in the skaters who come across them on the other skaters' feet at bouts and practices. Something subtle probably was not called for at this stage of the game.

Vanilla is either a complete unknown to derby skaters, or is thought of as something for those guys who dance cool at open skate. I think the knuckles maybe help them break down the other mental barrier to derby skaters buying their skates. Vanilla skates are generally on the "soft" side. Wonderful for jam skating, less than wonderful for the rigors of derby. The brass knuckles don't suggest "soft" at all.

The brand needs to create a demand for these boots. Why? Because many derby skate shops aren't currently carrying ANYTHING by Vanilla.

Someone (anyone) breaking the death-lock Riedell currently has on the derby market with skates that are both good and affordable (and not just cheaper like Sure-Grip's budget skates) is REALLY IMPORTANT for roller derby right now.

There's like 20,000+ roller derby skaters in the U.S. alone. Thousands more in Australia (it's HUGE there), Canada, the U.K. and Germany. This week I've already heard about more leagues forming up in Ireland, France, Peru, and skaters in Italy and Spain wanting to start new leagues. WFTDA ought to get some translator volunteers...

This is a steadily growing market that's a little big for other companies to ignore. Or for Riedell and Sure-Grip to underserve, for that matter.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #23
JamSkateAddiction
The Sponge

IMHO Sweet boot for Derby. The flap looks similar to the Freestyles except for the added knuckles and snugger lower profile but the rest of the boot looks pretty different. The fit also looks way different. I know a lot of time and thought went into them. Along with trial and error. If I were a Derby Girl I would definitely rock that boot. Being a jamskater and shuffler though I would not be caught dead wearing it since the brass knuckles just don't fit that style lol. Derby is where it's at right now so most, if not all, companies are going to cater to them. Which stinks a bit for some of us but they are playing the market smart. I can't blame them.
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #24
MFND
Sweet Slice Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post
I agree 100% ... I think for the intended application that they fit the bill quiet well.
+3 I guess. Alternatives to "something, something, something, riedell 265" are sorely needed.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #25
Inline?-LOL
Did you just fall???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
These skates are not aimed at you. Nor skaters like you.
Thanks, I do realize they are derby, and I get the whole meaning.. I honestly think they look ridiculous with a silly "set of knuckles" on them.. Im not knocking Vanilla, just the look..

Now if I am not mistaken you live in AZ.. And if I am correct, im sure I will run into you someday(if I havent already at a exhibition) and I will be sure to look for the "brass Knuckles" and duck!!
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:34 AM   #26
Cannibelle Corpse

I thought about getting these boots... The knuckles would have to go though.
Cannibelle Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #27
Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline?-LOL View Post
Now if I am not mistaken you live in AZ.. And if I am correct, im sure I will run into you someday(if I havent already at a exhibition) and I will be sure to look for the "brass Knuckles" and duck!!
No, I don't live in AZ. Have I been seen on here in a WalMart bag lately?

I don't own these skates nor any brass knuckles. I did seriously consider buying a pair. The time and my money wasn't right. Maybe when I'm ready to replace the cheaper skates I bought.
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #28
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
There could be a whole series:

Vanilla AK
Vanilla M16
Vanilla .38 Special
Vanilla Hand Grenade
Vanilla Claymore Mine
Vanilla rubber band gun

and for FEF
Vanilla Pink Bunny

I should work for Vanilla. Where is my commission??????
I would love a Claymore Mine one with bunny ears! FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY!! Carrots!!

There are a few derby skaters around here with Vanillas who like them a bunch.. most got the clearance ones with Sunlice, but the ones that have tried them seem to like them a bunch (except a friend of mine who got the really stiff version, but I guess they fixed that.)
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #29
rj2000

I saw Rebecca wearing a pair a few weeks ago here in San Antonio and I thought they looked very very cool. The brass knuckles actually looked cool too. I doubt they would look as good on a person with a really big foot but hers girly sized boot looked cool.
rj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #30
HouseMusicDJ
Beat Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj2000 View Post
I saw Rebecca wearing a pair a few weeks ago here in San Antonio and I thought they looked very very cool. The brass knuckles actually looked cool too. I doubt they would look as good on a person with a really big foot but hers girly sized boot looked cool.

Right...I could see that. I really think thats a bad shot...bad angle
HouseMusicDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #31
G. No-Evil
Outcast/Jet City Bombers

OK whats the last update on these? Is it still end of February? or later?
G. No-Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #32
Dec8rSk8r

I read on http://justskates.wordpress.com/ that these would be in the warehouse Feb 15th, and ship Feb 16th.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #33
Nathan_

real real soon :-)
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #34
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default girly feets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj2000 View Post
I doubt they would look as good on a person with a really big foot but hers girly sized boot looked cool.
I'd like to try some of these just for kicks, but I'm guessing they'd be positively grotesque in a 13, assuming they come that big.
Old February 10th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #35
Iggy
DGS Racing

Dude the brass knucks are giving me an idea for a 50s greaser hot rod style theme build with some flat black plate and Stroker lol
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #36
Poobah

You know, while I don't own any brass knuckles, I actually DO own a set of outer bearing chases that someone welded together into a sorta "bling ring" with my derby name in these plastic letters on a three-ringer, and my former league's acronym on a four-ringer. The three-ringer works nicely on the hand I write and record statistics with. Someone (from Australia, I think?) was selling these at RollerCon '07, but I've never seen or heard about them again.

They're a bit too small to fit me like brass knuckles, but many women can wear them as such. I have enormous knuckles due to decades of cracking them.

They're one of those things that seems to have disappeared mysteriously when I moved cross-country. They didn't seem to turn up in the places I thought I'd find 'em.
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #37
Sidewinder
UFO

Default Can I wear these and do the cha cha slide too

I'm looking at getting a pair of these on Powerdyne Revenge plates with the new Revenge wheels, but the knuckles would definitely have to go. Anyone have any idea how hard they would be to get off? Would it be able to be done without damaging the strap?

I'm sure this is an already heated topic as the knuckles are way over the top and are indeed aimed at a derby market. Even in derby, it's all good till everyone shows up with brass knuckles at which point it's no longer really original and/or intimidating. Which brings me to the next point.

Bling. You want knuckles of any sort or an AK-40 on yo skates, that's additional 20 dolla custom accessory. Leave it off otherwise. The skate accessory market has been virtually untapped since poof balls and skate covers. Dog collar bootstraps would sell derby-market like hotcakes.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #38
Sidewinder
UFO

Default but...but...

duh. double post
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote