S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #61
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I've not. I'm more of a Van Hagar fan, not so much Diamond Dave.
Even as a huge Van Hagar fan myself, Balance was a terrible album with a creepy cover. Maybe 2 tracks out of 12 were decent, one sounded like the theme to Beverly Hills 90210.

I do have a burned cd with every Van Hagar song on it (including the VH logo lightscribed on the cd) for use in the car. I've blown several tweets with the Why Can't This Be Love intro. Had a friend way back that was such a huge fan that he installed an Audiocontrol Epicenter in his car to give it an octave lower bass thump. Best VH setup I've heard. He even had a HUGE VH logo in vinyl on the back window.

Cashiers are still confused by my usual insistence on asking for a bottle of anything and a glazed donut....to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_KeCa9MmTY


Sorry in advance for the off-topic Van Halen tangent. Seemed relevant. BTW, the intro for Summer Nights is the most wicked ringtone ever.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #62
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,581
Default Diamond Dave for me please...

What chafes me about Van Halen (lately) is the knife that went into Michael Anthony's back. I know the name of the group is Van Halen and no doubt little Wolfgang needed a job, but Michael had been the bass player for the band since the mid-seventies and that seemed a bit of a dick move to me.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #63
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
What chafes me about Van Halen (lately) is the knife that went into Michael Anthony's back. I know the name of the group is Van Halen and no doubt little Wolfgang needed a job, but Michael had been the bass player for the band since the mid-seventies and that seemed a bit of a dick move to me.
Agree whole heartedly. Huge dick move. Michael is the shiznit when it comes to bass. I know Eddie has a bunch of medical problems as well with his back, Diamond Dave was a serious prick about that as well. I can't think of any group (other than Oasis) that each member managed to screw over the others as bad as VH has.

Heard on the radio yesterday of a "possible" GNR reunion if only for a hall of fame show or something. Axl's a crazy mofo, but Slash letting Fergie bastardize Sweet Child O Mine at last years superbowl was pretty much the largest single facepalm in the history of rock music. May she pee herself in shame for years to come.

I miss the 90's.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #64
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 8,151
Default

Michael Anthony stabbed in the back? Wow. That sucks. I need to go back to my blissful ignorance. I live in the past when it comes to VH. I guess I will just think of them the way they were when they were "Running with the Devil", or "Dance (ing) the Night Away". As for GNR, very surprised that Axl is still alive. Sweet Child of Mine. Memories of Jacksonville Florida.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #65
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Agree whole heartedly. Huge dick move. Michael is the shiznit when it comes to bass. I know Eddie has a bunch of medical problems as well with his back, Diamond Dave was a serious prick about that as well. I can't think of any group (other than Oasis) that each member managed to screw over the others as bad as VH has.
I didn't know Eddie was having back problems. I had heard something about cancer a few years ago, but he must be alright now. I would put Eddie's guitar playing up against anyones, even Clapton or Hendrix's. Another thing to his credit, is the way he and Valerie handled their split. I always wondered why Sammy Hagar joined Van Halen, not that they weren't a great band, but he was doing so well on his own. I am not familar with Oasis, but Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley from Kiss always shat on Ace Frehley and Peter Criss pretty bad too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
Heard on the radio yesterday of a "possible" GNR reunion if only for a hall of fame show or something. Axl's a crazy mofo, but Slash letting Fergie bastardize Sweet Child O Mine at last years superbowl was pretty much the largest single facepalm in the history of rock music. May she pee herself in shame for years to come.

I miss the 90's.
Yeah, Axl sounds pretty crazy. Did anyone read Steven Tyler's new autobiography? He was talking about Axl being nutty a little, and when Steven Tyler says your nuts, well... It would be cool if GNR would reunite. I heard or read somewhere someone said Axl sounded just like Janis Joplin and he does kinda remind me of her.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #66
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post

Yeah, Axl sounds pretty crazy. Did anyone read Steven Tyler's new autobiography? He was talking about Axl being nutty a little, and when Steven Tyler says your nuts, well... It would be cool if GNR would reunite. I heard or read somewhere someone said Axl sounded just like Janis Joplin and he does kinda remind me of her.
I haven't read the bio, I think Steven Tyler at one time was genuine, but that time has long since passed and it's all about the $$$ and has been for a while. Axl is a strange case indeed. He's obviously BPD, (borderline - not Bi-P), as was Janis.

Rarely do I get personal, but watching Janis sort of breaks my heart just a little, but I still love to hear her voice. She's so genuine, like you can hear her just sing to her demons. In all her interviews, she's so lovable & genuine, but so distant at the same time. You can just see her suffering though so it's sort of painful to watch.

My fav. And probably one of the more popular clips of her. This is one of her up moments. I can't stand Dick Cavett, but I've watched most of her interviews with him and the up times and down times are so obvious, this one was just nice to see. 1:30-1:50 is the best if you just want the short version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvipz...eature=related
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #67
FXRskater
Member
 
FXRskater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lawrenceville GA
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Slash letting Fergie bastardize Sweet Child O Mine at last years superbowl was pretty much the largest single facepalm in the history of rock music. May she pee herself in shame for years to come.
Yeah, that made me want to vomit. It feels strange for me to say that Prince laid down the best Superbowl halftime show in recent memory. In the rain. Ya can't help but admit it though, the guy can shred.
Was Madonna lip-syncing?

"Zeppelin Rules", Otto Mann.
FXRskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #68
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
I haven't read the bio, I think Steven Tyler at one time was genuine, but that time has long since passed and it's all about the $$$ and has been for a while. Axl is a strange case indeed. He's obviously BPD, (borderline - not Bi-P), as was Janis.

Rarely do I get personal, but watching Janis sort of breaks my heart just a little, but I still love to hear her voice. She's so genuine, like you can hear her just sing to her demons. In all her interviews, she's so lovable & genuine, but so distant at the same time. You can just see her suffering though so it's sort of painful to watch.

My fav. And probably one of the more popular clips of her. This is one of her up moments. I can't stand Dick Cavett, but I've watched most of her interviews with him and the up times and down times are so obvious, this one was just nice to see. 1:30-1:50 is the best if you just want the short version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvipz...eature=related
I just meant Steven Tyler is pretty kooky too. Axl ripped him publicly for taking the gig on Idol and thought it was beneath him and he was tarnishing his legacy, but I know I enjoy him on there and it doesn't seem like such a bad move to me. Steven's getting pretty old to be prancinging around on a stage, that probably takes a lot out of these old geezers.

I read an autobiography on Janis Joplin once as well, called - Going Down With Janis, the book was a heartbreaker too but is a really interesting read if you like that sort of thing.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #69
loony888
oracle of useless info
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: brisbane
Posts: 407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
Its 7minutes 23.3 ' seconds .
Hey iggy have you bought the new van halen album yet ? its only just landed here and ive heard 2 songs off it on the radio


i've got it, not bad so far.
turns out it's all old material written in the 70's when they were at their peak, and once you find that out the music makes a lot more sense and you can really tell. the single, tattoo, is rubbish though. but that's just me, and yeah, i agree with the others, screwing over michael anthony was a sh1tty move.
As for the hagar/roth debate? dave all the way, they sounded too bland without him.
loony888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #70
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
I just meant Steven Tyler is pretty kooky too. Axl ripped him publicly for taking the gig on Idol and thought it was beneath him and he was tarnishing his legacy, but I know I enjoy him on there and it doesn't seem like such a bad move to me. Steven's getting pretty old to be prancinging around on a stage, that probably takes a lot out of these old geezers.

I read an autobiography on Janis Joplin once as well, called - Going Down With Janis, the book was a heartbreaker too but is a really interesting read if you like that sort of thing.
I know what you mean now on Steven. He's not borderline at al. I think he's just a regular guy with a good voice. Little eccentric, but I think that comes from the heavy drug use early on.. It leaves you with weird twitches. He very well may be slightly bi-polar and I only say that cause his highs are super high (think Love in an Elevator), some of the vocal riffs are just insanely awesome, but very difficult to duplicate as you get older. I don't consider him a sell out from Idol. Aerosmith - Pump was a masterpiece and probably the pinnacle. When I compare that to their sober years - Just push play for example, it just doesn't hold a candle to it. They stopped pushing the boundries to save themselves from addiction and I can't blame them for that. Who can?

I think it's super cool that you've read most of their autobiographies. I don't think I could do it without ruining some of my favorites. Even having a song's actual meaning to it sort of takes a little connection of what I feel it means away. I know that's odd, but you can go from deep music that you think is about staring into a beautiful woman's eyes to the song actually being about some person they met with a glass eye in a Waffle House in Ohio. Just kills it for me. lol. That and most musicians are real a-holes in general.

I miss our Borders too. They had a great autobiography section.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #71
quantoo
Senior Member
 
quantoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony888 View Post
i've got it, not bad so far.
turns out it's all old material written in the 70's when they were at their peak, and once you find that out the music makes a lot more sense and you can really tell. the single, tattoo, is rubbish though. but that's just me, and yeah, i agree with the others, screwing over michael anthony was a sh1tty move.
As for the hagar/roth debate? dave all the way, they sounded too bland without him.
everyone on the radio hates tattoo.
They would be better off replacing that track with a revved up version of shy boy off the old david lee roth album.roths a real showman. remmember hot 4 teacher ,that film clip blew the world away when it was first shown.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #72
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRskater View Post
Yeah, that made me want to vomit. It feels strange for me to say that Prince laid down the best Superbowl halftime show in recent memory. In the rain. Ya can't help but admit it though, the guy can shred.
Was Madonna lip-syncing?

"Zeppelin Rules", Otto Mann.
Yep. Whole show - lip synced. That has apparently been the case with her for the last 20 years. Every show is track-backed and her mic is on low or not at all. Everything is choreographed to the letter. You are watching a musical production, not a concert. Usually if you see a show on one night, the next night would be different. She has the exact same show every night.

You're right too. Prince was the best that I've seen at the SB as well. Not all my music is homoerotic, but when it is, it kicks arse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjLG9...eature=related (NSFW language).

And just for good measure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYrfK...tailpage#t=70s F YOUR COUCH!
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #73
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg
 
Big Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Beneath the Southern Cross
Posts: 4,838
Default

Really you blokes!
The halftime show is only there so that you can go to the dunny, smoke ten smokes and grab another six pack.
It's about the Football.
Halftime is when you press mute, go outside, and talk about the first half and what plays each team will/should run in the next two drives.
__________________
--------------------------------------
My girl sk8's Derby, whats your excuse??
Big Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #74
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
I know what you mean now on Steven. He's not borderline at al. I think he's just a regular guy with a good voice. Little eccentric, but I think that comes from the heavy drug use early on.. It leaves you with weird twitches. He very well may be slightly bi-polar and I only say that cause his highs are super high (think Love in an Elevator), some of the vocal riffs are just insanely awesome, but very difficult to duplicate as you get older. I don't consider him a sell out from Idol. Aerosmith - Pump was a masterpiece and probably the pinnacle. When I compare that to their sober years - Just push play for example, it just doesn't hold a candle to it. They stopped pushing the boundries to save themselves from addiction and I can't blame them for that. Who can?

I think it's super cool that you've read most of their autobiographies. I don't think I could do it without ruining some of my favorites. Even having a song's actual meaning to it sort of takes a little connection of what I feel it means away. I know that's odd, but you can go from deep music that you think is about staring into a beautiful woman's eyes to the song actually being about some person they met with a glass eye in a Waffle House in Ohio. Just kills it for me. lol. That and most musicians are real a-holes in general.

I miss our Borders too. They had a great autobiography section.
Yeah, Pump was really good. Get a Grip had some decent hits though. I thought Nine Lives was even more of a stinker than Just Push Play, but Aerosmith is one of my favorite bands, so even their bad songs are better for me than some of the stuff I hear on the radio.

I just get books at the library most of the time. Our libraries around here will borrow books and CD's from each other if they don't have what you want, and you can request books and CD's online too. You never know Sidewinder, reading about them might get you more interested. After I read Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys book, I had to go buy Pet Sounds.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #75
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
everyone on the radio hates tattoo.
I heard that on the radio the other day. I immediately recognized Van Halen and was excited but started listening to it and thought, well this is stupid.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #76
pavement
Senior Member
 
pavement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nor★Cal
Posts: 2,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
I heard that on the radio the other day. I immediately recognized Van Halen and was excited but started listening to it and thought, well this is stupid.
+1 just googled tattoo cuz you guys were talking about it....holy crap...I couldn't even stand 2 seconds.......
__________________
What did you say about my mommas' chili!!!!?
pavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #77
quantoo
Senior Member
 
quantoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,418
Default you too hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
I heard that on the radio the other day. I immediately recognized Van Halen and was excited but started listening to it and thought, well this is stupid.
Thats how i felt also.
I fully understand how hard it must be for VH to come up with something original in this day and age.
Everything worth doing has already been done to death.
Probably why what they have done with tattoo is stupid sounding because the topic is pretty original and hard to write a song about ,even though it may have been made a long time ago.
Its also very easy for me to be a critic about music when most musicians are so desperate to make it big time,they rush albums out to keep the promoters and record labels happy.Probably the reason for most 1st albums being the best is the bands had years to think about every song.
maybe Vh should throw in a few covers?
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #78
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
Thats how i felt also.
I fully understand how hard it must be for VH to come up with something original in this day and age.
Everything worth doing has already been done to death.
Probably why what they have done with tattoo is stupid sounding because the topic is pretty original and hard to write a song about ,even though it may have been made a long time ago.
Its also very easy for me to be a critic about music when most musicians are so desperate to make it big time,they rush albums out to keep the promoters and record labels happy.Probably the reason for most 1st albums being the best is the bands had years to think about every song.
maybe Vh should throw in a few covers?
Yeah, tattoos would be a hard subject to hard to write a song about but David Lee Roth wrote a rock song about the Statue of Liberty (of all things) and that didn't sound stupid! You might be right about the time factor on the songs because these guys should be able to do better. Ever notice when the musicians are young, fresh, and hungry for fame and fortune; they seem to produce much better material?
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #79
quantoo
Senior Member
 
quantoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,418
Default thats a fair call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
Yeah, tattoos would be a hard subject to hard to write a song about but David Lee Roth wrote a rock song about the Statue of Liberty (of all things) and that didn't sound stupid! You might be right about the time factor on the songs because these guys should be able to do better. Ever notice when the musicians are young, fresh, and hungry for fame and fortune; they seem to produce much better material?
like sports and every thing really .once they have made it big they get slack.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.