S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Armadillo

Default $4 Upgrade from SA to =>"Semi-DA"

I just got some of the Ultimate2 trucks, and I can confirm they fit just fine on Laser, Omega, Satellite, and similar geometry plates with 3/8"pivot cups. In addition the dome shape on bottom of the truck gives a much improved action response too, especially when combined with a .200" thick "half cone" made from a S-G Super Cushion yellow placed against the domed side of the truck (replacing any original washer scheme). I call this my "Semi-DA" truck scheme, and it just uses a 7/8" diameter washer at bigger end of half-cone.

Note how well the REVERSED half-cone clears the axle tube bump of the aluminum truck too. This is critical for maintaining a nice free motion throughout the range of the truck's swing. In the case of the Laser truck, this little change gave a huge improvement in action response. With the Laser SA I initially used the full height cone, but I intend to cut it down some for ground clearance.

The 1" diameter blue S-G SA cushion was a bit short, so I had to add a couple spacer washers against the plate. Note that having 3" long 2024-T4 aluminum fully threaded bolts as my kingpins sure lets me do a lot more experimenting with how big of a H/W stack I can assemble around the trucks.
Unfortunately, they also let me discover, when one of them broke recently, just how much pain a cracked rib can trigger when I sneeze -- yikes.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; June 24th, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #2
FarmTruk
rusty bones

With the SA+DA cushions stacked on there, the clearance between the kingpin bolt's "head" and the floor/ground looks to be minimal at best.

Any concerns of it actually scraping?
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmTruk View Post
With the SA+DA cushions stacked on there, the clearance between the kingpin bolt's "head" and the floor/ground looks to be minimal at best.

Any concerns of it actually scraping?
Yes, that full cone will need some shortening to give a decent ground clearance, but the cone was part of another set, so I was waiting until my next cone order arrives to get the proper half-coned "Semi-DA" working for the Laser SA truck too.

-Armadillo
Old June 16th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up NOTE!!

Although the trucks mentioned fit the plates listed, they are not a straight bolt on.

Look at the pic. Note the king pin nuts are the Nova king pin nuts, which are considerably taller than the stock nuts on the plates in question.. I also see additional washers as well....

Not a thing wrong with this... Keeping the suspension geometry square is critical....

Just remember, it is NOT a simple drop on. Armadillo has a pile of cool parts to play with.... You will need the same kind of hardware to do this yourself.

Now for a suitable reverse king pin...
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Although the trucks mentioned fit the plates listed, they are not a straight bolt on.

Look at the pic. Note the king pin nuts are the Nova king pin nuts, which are considerably taller than the stock nuts on the plates in question.. I also see additional washers as well....

Not a thing wrong with this... Keeping the suspension geometry square is critical....

Just remember, it is NOT a simple drop on. Armadillo has a pile of cool parts to play with.... You will need the same kind of hardware to do this yourself.

Now for a suitable reverse king pin...
+1 Doc, and a good catch. Yes, I have been lucky to have DocSk8 willing to sell me some of these various aluminum jam nuts which greatly facilitate maintaining the truck platform at 90 degrees to the kingpin, and in keep the kingpin properly located relative to the hole through the truck. I also advise purchasing a bag of 100 aluminum washers of the 7/8" OD by 3/8+" ID to use as spacers and against cushions like the cones and the 7/8" OD cushions too.

-Armadillo
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #6
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Exclamation Be Careful

Ultimate I/II trucks are not exactly the same as Black Diamond/Cobras. The length of the pivot arm is just slightly different. That's why Black Diamonds fit on Satellites/Omegas and Ultimates not so much. The error is very subtle. Using an Ultimate truck on a Satellite, the 1" cushion will try to ride up out of the cup on the truck (Sure Grip SA cushions are 7/8") and the kingpin won't center in the hole. If you ever held both next to each other, you'd see what I mean.

For the same reason, Black Diamonds aren't such a good fit on a Laser, although they're a bit easier to shim into place.
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #7
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

Armadillo, you may be re-inventing the wheel with those cut-down cones. Have a look at skateboard and longboard bushings. (Bushings? That's right; skateboarders call cushions bushings. They don't know what you're talking about if you ask for cushions!) Cones are available in at least three different heights and multiple duros already. Khiro and Bones are the obvious skateboard brands, but have a look at Reflex and Venom longboard stuff too. I'm running pink Reflex cushions on my quads these days, and I love 'em. Good urethane.
Barf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #8
sauhamm
little big guy

khiro is who i went with when i was bushing [cushion] shopping...

emailed them and told them a few dimensions and they replied back that they had it covered and would ship them out asap...

as soon as i get them ill post up pics and impressions and such...
sauhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #9
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barf View Post
Armadillo, you may be re-inventing the wheel with those cut-down cones. Have a look at skateboard and longboard bushings. (Bushings? That's right; skateboarders call cushions bushings. They don't know what you're talking about if you ask for cushions!) Cones are available in at least three different heights and multiple duros already. Khiro and Bones are the obvious skateboard brands, but have a look at Reflex and Venom longboard stuff too. I'm running pink Reflex cushions on my quads these days, and I love 'em. Good urethane.
Well, while I was "re-inventing the wheel" Sure Grip was also re-inventing the price of their SUPER CUSHION CONEs, and at $1 EACH, I think I will be continuing to use these in favor of the Khiro & Reflex brands. Plus with the hacksaw cutting with the cone spinning on a mandrel in a hand drill, I can make any specific height I need. So, it makes more sense for me to just stock up on the ONE HEIGHT of the five (5) different firmness levels of SG Super Cones. I also like their translucent urethane too.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; June 24th, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #10
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
I also like their translucent urethane too.
They do look nice, can't argue that.
Barf is offline   Reply With Quote