S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old April 21st, 2018, 12:28 AM   #1
ese002

Default Atom Boom vs MPC Black Magic vs classic Atom

I am not a fan of classic Atom wheels. My experience with 100mm One's and 110mm Matrix IQ is that the durability is good. The roll is OK. Rebound and general responsiveness are not great.

Meanwhile, MPC Black Magic in 110mm XFirm has been my goto race wheel for the last couple/three years. It doesn't wear as well as classic Atom but the performance is much better on my feet.

Right now, MPC Black Magic's are rather expensive in 110mm while Atom Boom is quite a lot cheaper. Since the Boom is MPC urethane on an Atom hub, I'm not sure what to expect. If Boom's perform like Black Magic then it's a good deal. If they perform like Matrix IQ's then I will pass. Even for training wheels (what this is for), it is just not worth it.

So, has anyone here tried them for long enough to form an opinion?
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 03:23 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I have run all three (Atom Boom Road, Atom Boom Magic, and MPC Black Magic.

I have found that the Boom Road (the cheaper ones w/ the Atom hub) are decent as training wheels. They have ok grip and roll, but not nearly as much as their big "brothers", the Boom Magic and Black Magic.

As for the other two, they're close, but I prefer the Atom Boom Magic's XXF over the MPC XXF. This is both in 125mm and 110mm sizes. I have not rolled any in the rain, so I can't comment as to wet grip. The Boom Magic seem to have slightly better roll than the MPC.

There are sellers on eBay that sell both the MPC and Boom Magic at lower pricing than MSRP.

One other comment, I'm usually the guy that buys new wheels every season, but I'm going on my second season on a set of both 125mm Boom Magic (my race wheels) and Black Magic (my training wheels). The MPCs have some wear, but not really that bad. They probably have 400-500 miles on them.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2018, 07:18 PM   #3
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
One other comment, I'm usually the guy that buys new wheels every season, but I'm going on my second season on a set of both 125mm Boom Magic (my race wheels) and Black Magic (my training wheels). The MPCs have some wear, but not really that bad. They probably have 400-500 miles on them.
Interesting. I find that Black Magics's to be pretty much middle of the road for wear. Oddly, XXFirms don't seem to wear much different that XFirm.

I put a lot of miles on my wheels. The endurance champs are the 110mm 87A Matrix IQ's. I rode those for a full year and nearly 4000 miles but they sucked for nearly all of that time. The MPC's I demoted in February don't wear *that* well. They already have in the neighbourhood of 800 miles. I don't expect to demote another set of race wheels until after Grand Forks late in August. By then my Black (actually Red) Magics would have about 2000 miles including summer heat. I don't think so.

I typically use wheels for 2-4 races before demoting them to training.

Last edited by ese002; April 21st, 2018 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added experience with Black Magic wear
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 12:00 AM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

If you would like to try a set Atom Boom Road, I had purchased a set to use at this weekend’s VRL race In Montreal to use on their indoor cement track. But they didnt work so well for short track, but do work well for training and long skates.

I mounted them, skated 3-4 laps on the 100m cement track, then took them off. So they have been scuffed in are next to new. I paid retail for them directly from Atom, which is $11.95 each for 110mm and would sell them for $75 shipped, if you were interested.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote