S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 16th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #21
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Dude, they have hockey and hockey! Ice hockey and field hockey...
Ouch! Deserve that! Makes the point tho!

Looks like Shani withdrew from the 500, problems with the ice. Korea and Japan took the podium like a Toyota with a stuck accelerator.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/speed-ska...000/index.html
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #22
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

At the start of one of the heats involving an American one of the racers was described as using a three point inline skate start. You guys are the racers, (I am fitness), and was hoping you could explain the technique? Sure appreciate it!
Moto
http://www.nbcolympics.com/photos/ga...cans+mens+500m
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #23
Anne-Jelmer
ILSE skating club

Mika Poutala's three point start. His hand being the third point on the ice (not realy visible but is does thouch the ice.
Anne-Jelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #24
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
...one of the racers was described as using a three point inline skate start...
... hoping you could explain the technique?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne-Jelmer View Post
The theory behind the "down" start is that the
deeper compression of the legs creates a more
explosive, powerful (faster) start.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #25
Anne-Jelmer
ILSE skating club

Th downside of this start is that the front skate is some 40cm(?) behind the startline. Which could take some 0.03 sec to cross.
So even if it would be a faster start (which I doubt) It causes one to skate a little further.
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #26
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne-Jelmer View Post
Th downside of this start is that the front skate is some 40cm(?) behind the startline.
I should have clarified that I was referring to indoor inline down starts. 95% of the indoor racers use the down start. My exposure to ice is during the Olympics since it has virtually no time on tv around here.

How and why is the front skate so far back? Why wouldn't it be right on the start line. With indoor inline, the skaters have the forward most skate directly on the line. No matter how you start, it's always with one foot forward of the other so whatever the difference between starts it seems like it would be negligible at best.
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #27
Anne-Jelmer
ILSE skating club

I can't explain why this is done. I just saw it happen with Poutala on the Olympic 500m.
My best explanation would be:
With the hand on the ice just behind the starting line. A skater will try to put his skates in such a position that they provide some grip withe they ice. So he wants to place his skates in an angle with the ice smaller then 90. With the skate further back this is allready the case. For the front skate this is more difficult. In order to achief this the skate can not be in a place where it touches the line. It needs to be a little more back...

This could be a explanation why Poutala does it. But of course it's my best guess

p.s. the 40cm was also a guess. It might be less.
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #28
speedysktr
President of Everything

It makes sense now. There is a gap between his hand and his first skate. His hand is on the line, therefore his skate is behind. With indoor inline, the skate and the hand(s) are on the line (or really, really close).
Old February 16th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #29
excelsk8
MPC Turbo

OI I thought something along the lines, don't think they did not exclude inline from the olympics due to the closeness they have, but it was ironic that the world federation of inline skating FIRS sent Derek Parra & an Italian Ippolito Sanfratello to represent inline speed skating, why sent to people that are great people none the less, but represent the idea that inliners can just move to ice and two years later be olympic champions? they go there saying how Inliners want to be olympic champions, well they are, both of them. so what was their point the olympic people might think. I believe that our inline skaters transferring so successfully into ice in such a short time makes our point to the IOC really hard to prove, now that most people that are transferring are coming from 110 they seem to have an even easier time to adapt to ice technique since the 110 require you to roll more, which in turn resembles ice technique more. anyway we have it, ice and inline are two totally different sports, I for one think that Inline Speed is a sport, golf is not! and I don't think inliners would go to ice at all if they had olympics inline, tey only do because they have to. we think inline skating is a small sport, at out league meets we have at least 150 people every time, some have 300 people I was watching an ice meet a friend skated in.... it had 25 people, he had to race with girls and men twice his age... now that is small... but the olympics makes a huge difference! Im talking ice in usa, I know in the netherlands is huge!

Francisco Ramirez
www.skatemarathon.org
excelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #30
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/ass...replay+havard+
Old February 17th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #31
Dennis Lauer

Default Roller Speed Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
also consider this - what if we starting seeing a fair amount of the same skaters competing in both? In no time flat, the olympic committee would be asking itself, how the heck did we get ourselves into this? You;d have to figure that a guy like Jordan Malone would be in both. And if skaters knew both had their draws, i would bet you'd see a lot of them plugging away at both. I mean, even if they are slightly different, it would be a bit of a deterent to acceptance to think that the world would be watching the same skating powerhouses all over again for another two years. Just the thought of it is enough to make you think twice about heading in that direction....
I do not skate speed, never have. I always enjoyed watching speed at state meets on quads. So I have little idea about inline speed.You are worried about cross over between ice speed and inline speed at the olympics. This problem could be solved by rules forcing skaters to make the decision to either skate ice or inline and once the decision is made no cross-over skating would be allowed. Can't the people overseeing the olympics make such a rule?

Dennis Lauer
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #32
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lauer View Post
I do not skate speed, never have. I always enjoyed watching speed at state meets on quads. So I have little idea about inline speed.You are worried about cross over between ice speed and inline speed at the olympics. This problem could be solved by rules forcing skaters to make the decision to either skate ice or inline and once the decision is made no cross-over skating would be allowed. Can't the people overseeing the olympics make such a rule?

Dennis Lauer
What!

You want to force people to choose what they want to do?

You must be joking, right!
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #33
Anne-Jelmer
ILSE skating club

Haha, And not allowing people to change their mind!
Freedom of choise is so 2009.
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #34
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosk8ter View Post
Ouch! Deserve that! Makes the point tho!
Actually, I don't think it is a solid point of non-duplicity between winter and summer Olympics. Field hockey and ice-hockey are very different beasts. If it were inline and ice hockey, it would be a different story.

Plus, both of those sports have been included at every games since the 20's. The Olympic committee, for right or wrong, doesn't appear to be interested in duplicity of sports between summer and winter games. This is unless skateboarding gets up into the summer games one day which is the word going around... Sean White has been an X-games medalist in both snowboard and skateboard as well as snowboard pipe gold medalist.

CG
Old February 18th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #35
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
Actually, I don't think it is a solid point of non-duplicity between winter and summer Olympics. Field hockey and ice-hockey are very different beasts. If it were inline and ice hockey, it would be a different story.

Plus, both of those sports have been included at every games since the 20's. The Olympic committee, for right or wrong, doesn't appear to be interested in duplicity of sports between summer and winter games. This is unless skateboarding gets up into the summer games one day which is the word going around... Sean White has been an X-games medalist in both snowboard and skateboard as well as snowboard pipe gold medalist.

CG
I was thinking of this after the post and have to agree with you. Olympic Committee does what the Committee wants. I am still chafed over golf.

Gotta hand it to Davis, Apolo and Hedrick tonight
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #36
No1TopGun

Congrats to the US boys in the 1000m. Good to see Chad recover after a disappointing 5000m (Killer 2nd lap in the 1000m )
No1TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 07:45 AM   #37
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Apolo got his medal, Davis got his medal and Chad was there and did his best. I am surprised at the Chinese and Koreans, some serious stuff going down there. The ladies short track was awesome!
Sure wish we could have inlines for more great stuff during the summer Olympics!
Moto
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:24 AM   #38
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Nah!

Put quads in the Olympics, may be slower, but heaps more entertaining.

LOL!
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM   #39
Art G

Using their idea that duplicity is to be avoided, one could make the point that indoor inline speed closely resembles short track.
But I see very little similarity between an inline criterium, or an inline marathon , and any of the ice speed disciplines that are presently featured in the Winter Games.

As far as quads go, imho, slower with fewer participants is less exciting. That's why I almost never skate in my quads anymore except to goof around at public sessions.
They are still better for jam skating though.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 09:09 PM   #40
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Using their idea that duplicity is to be avoided, one could make the point that indoor inline speed closely resembles short track.
But I see very little similarity between an inline criterium, or an inline marathon , and any of the ice speed disciplines that are presently featured in the Winter Games...
I agree.
And i would think it would be an amazing spectacle, especially a criterium, which has a lot more jostling, and is much easier viewing from a spectator's point of view.
Let's face it, much of the energy of the new olympics is from the newer sports like snowboard, moguls, etc. And short track ice speed skating is right in that groove, and inline criterium skating would be if not more so (think of the numbers).
I have to be honest, here, and i would think that a major concern in the mind of the IOC would be dirty nature to many of these events, and we may as well face it that these events have a reputation that comes along with them.
For that reason, i would think the IOC would lean more towards a banked track or something along the lines of outdoor nationals, but again, these both start to look similar to ice skating comptetions. A Crit is just too much of a free-for all for an organization that hates controversy and the perception of bad sportsmanship. The Marathons are awful hard to pull off logistically.

Of course, if you scare away from every little hurdle or challenge, you end up with something totally safe, like golf.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote