S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Bill Schlueter

Default New LandRoller Mojo Skates

Being a LandRoller skate devotee, I'm now ravenous for information about the performance of Landroller's new skate that they are calling Mojo. The first generation versions that I have been skating on for years now are not fast by any means, but I hear that the Mojo is a totally new bird. I'm looking for scraps of info until they post for sale on the LandRoller website. Anything?
Bill Schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #2
Drella
alive with pleasure

Hey Bill! What you've mentioned about the Landrollers 'Mojo' is news to me. In fact, I really don't know much about their other skates.

I have often wondered, just how stable are they? Did you have prior inline skate experience?
What do you like most about them compared to the regular inlines???

Thanks bro....
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Bill Schlueter

Default LandRollers? Crazy Stable

I get that from everyone. They look like you are going to fall over in them. No not even. They are more like skating in quads with much more lateral stability than inlines. It's weird, but true. Once you are in them, you don't feel it --- very stable. What I really dig about LandRollers is the smoothness of the ride. The big wheels are crazy smooth on the really bad roads that I have to navigate to get to the beach. To answer your question, I inlined for about 8 years before getting into LandRoller. They are a little on the sluggish side which makes for a better workout, but I'm hearing that the mojos will be much much faster. I'm about comfort, smooth and fast now, so these might be the ticket. I'm just chompin' at the bit.
Bill Schlueter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:43 AM   #4
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Question New LandRoller Mojo Skates

Would consider getting the new LandRoller Mojo, skates due out next month?

Besides the olvious of this Recreational skate with a Duce wheel setup with angled axles and wheels 145mm front and 173mm rear.
From what I've read 7 people got hurt when their Terra 9's skates that broke while skating and they stopped production to remanufacture the skates. They even will give owners of the Terra 9's a free repair kit to fix the inherient problem.
Now however, there site shows a pic of the new Mojo with black frames and axles, that sur loks bigger and stronger. Well, Hopefully this model will be much safer.
= = = = = = = = = = =
So R willing to give them a go?

gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Candler
Skates Everyday!

I think I might give them a try.... Hope they are durable and I don't get hurt using them
Candler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

They may be improved, but wheels and bearings were not designed to be run on their sides.

Last edited by Skateguy; July 7th, 2008 at 02:00 AM.
Skateguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #7
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I'm a little hard on skates. I'd snap em the first day.
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #8
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Lightbulb LandRollers out de gate!

Well it seems LandRollers are hitting our shores again.
They even can handle a 100kg person now.

http://www.landroller.com/store/inde...&productId=319
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #9
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Pass
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

I would so break those=)
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #11
haruspex
Likes going uphill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
They may be improved, but wheels and bearings were not designed to be run on their sides.
Yeah, they need to do a redesign of the axles, bearings, and hubs, but geometrically speaking getting the foot lower to the ground while increasing the radius of the wheel can mean faster skating. However, these skates are not designed for speed and their strength is questionable... I feel like they're on the cusp of something great but not quite grasping it. They definitely look like they could be a few hours worth of fun, but I don't think I would purchase a pair.
haruspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #12
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Exclamation Angled Wheels

Quote:
The same non-acceptance of something new could e said like when inlines came online and now inlines are common. So never know!
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #13
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Lightbulb New Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruspex View Post
Yeah, they need to do a redesign of the axles, bearings, and hubs, but geometrically speaking getting the foot lower to the ground while increasing the radius of the wheel can mean faster skating. However, these skates are not designed for speed and their strength is questionable... I feel like they're on the cusp of something great but not quite grasping it. They definitely look like they could be a few hours worth of fun, but I don't think I would purchase a pair.
From what I've read they had to redesign the axles as a few people got hurt as they just outright broke. Now they are back saying they have made the skate stronger, lighter, more rubber on wheels, abec7 or abec9(that looks like these bearings are only for their specific wheel setup) and cost less $200. Having said that, basicly, a ture field test will reveal what is what. But never know?
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #14
haruspex
Likes going uphill...

Well, a higher Abec number doesn't necessarily mean it's better. These aren't super high RPM devices But either way, it would be interesting to seem them do a version meant for speed. They do have Ohno's endorsement after all...
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #15
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Exclamation On no!

Quote:
Well, a higher Abec number doesn't necessarily mean it's better. These aren't super high RPM devices But either way, it would be interesting to seem them do a version meant for speed. They do have Ohno's endorsement after all...
No no Mr. Bill, It's On nooooooooooooooooooo again! LOL harus, yup, we all bout anybody who endorces anything. I remember Joe Namouth (sp) wearing panty hose. As far as ABEC is concerned, we know ABEC = A Bunch of Extra Chit. Of that still need to know the company like Swiss Bones or others.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Now on Landrollers, even through they list ABEC 7 & 9 bearings, I believe they are propriatary to their wheels only and can't buy off the shelf say Bones Swiss. Even through they had a product that did have a physical flaw, to their credit they came back, hopefully they learned from their mistakes with a much better and safer product.
Old August 17th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #16
Archimdae

I pre-ordered mine yesterday. I haven't been able to blade since I moved up here where I am, it's rough road so my old blades would just vibrate my legs numb. Also most of the paths from the highway to places are gravel which just sucks on normal inlines. From everything I've read, the landrollers give you a lot smoother ride on such surfaces. I'm sure it'll take a little getting used to but it's worth it to be able to blade on a regular basis again. I'm sure I'll post about them when they "should" show up at the end of the month (says pre-orders ship the week of the 25th *shrug*). I almost got some not long ago but I decided to wait for the new Mojos as the previous poster said they should be lighter, stronger, and longer lasting wheels.

Also as far as the people getting hurt: from what I could find in my research it was something faulty with the first 1400 units or so and Landroller sent out repair kits to everyone who purchased them. I have not been able to find any incidents since then, at least on the internet. Only down side to the slanted wheels that I could find was it's slightly different to crossover on a turn since if your leaning too far over and the blade is tilted too far it can slide out from under you. But then I only found one mention at all about this problem so maybe it was just one person with an extreme crossover :0).

Last edited by Archimdae; August 17th, 2008 at 09:23 AM.
Archimdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #17
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Don't forget overcoming the inertia of the mass of those big wheels. Big wheels have been tried before---they don't work better. No matter how many cool ads folks come up with.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:56 AM   #18
gem
Keep dem wheels moving!

Default LandRollers on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimdae View Post
I pre-ordered mine yesterday. IMojos as the previous poster said they should be lighter, stronger, and longer lasting wheels.

:0).
4sur, Arch, keep us informed on how thangs go.
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #19
ballardthedome

Sigh, I would be really curious to try these out, mostly just for really rough surface skating, but sadly, they need to go up two sizes and support another 30 pounds before I'd be able to use them.

A friend of mine had a pair of the previous model, but gave up on them for normal street skating. They were just too slow. Of course, that was also because he was trying to keep up with me on my 4x100MM inlines.

bda
ballardthedome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #20
haruspex
Likes going uphill...

Quote:
Big wheels have been tried before---they don't work better.
It seems they work better at dampening the vibration and offering more control over super rough surfaces. Bigger wheels have also been a very popular trend in speed skating, but obviously there is a limiting factor as to whom they actually benefit and whom they hurt. So, I wouldn't say bigger wheels don't work better across the board, but you do need to weight the pros and cons when making a decision.

The angled and offline design of the LandRoller is interesting, but until I try one myself (which I'm not sure will happen...) it's hard to make a judgment. The durability, however, speaks for itself. Hopefully these new versions will improve that, but I think they will continue to have a limited audience of lighter people, which works for me

I would try a pair of the opportunity arose, but I'm not about to go buy a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardthedome View Post
They were just too slow. Of course, that was also because he was trying to keep up with me on my 4x100MM inlines.
Yeah, they're definitely not speed skates... It would be interesting if they designed a pair for speed. At the moment they're just meant as an all-purpose skate, and all-purpose skates, or really all-purpose anything, are never good at a singular purpose.