S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #1
re-verse

Default K2 Radical Pro

Don't like starting 2 threads in a row, but I have a pair of K2 escape withthe splitframe klop chassis, and i'm thinking about moving up to the radical pro for the wheel size difference.

Does anyone have experience with the larger (100/110) wheels compared to my currents 80s (may be 76), or the klop, or have any opinions either way?

Thanks in advance.
re-verse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #2
re-verse

I ended up picking them up. Very different from the k2 split frame escapes. Will put up a short review after a couple more rides.
Old May 20th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #3
sk8scott

I'm sure you'll enjoy the new skates. Pretty much anything is an improvement over those "klop" (more like flop) frames!

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:08 PM   #4
John

I have the Radical Pro (110/100) and the Moto (84/80). Comparing:

Radical Pro much more comfortable - not that the Moto is uncomfortable, just not as comfortable as the Radical Pro.

Radical Pro:

faster - even on a slight incline will want to pick up speed much quicker.
larger wheels more stable over cracks, etc. in pavement
more effort to turn - likes to go straight and fast

Overall, great skates.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM   #5
re-verse

After a few days and just over 100 miles on my Radical pros, I feel ready to judge them.

They are definitely a straight-line skate. The escapes (split frame) were also supposed to be racing skates, but you could sort of pull your toe up and turn your long wheelbase into a short one, facilitating very fast turning and maneuverability.

With the split-frames escapes, you develop a very different relationship with the road than on a regular skate. You have three points of contact with the ground, and can feel a bump not just on the front and back on the skate, but in the middle. Going over rough patches and gaps is slightly easier because the front frame can lift a bit. In the radpros, bumps are reduced by the massive wheel size.

Braking, when moving from the escape to the radpro, is a whole new ballgame. I used to be able to brake and stop going down steep surfaces, and barely have the power to stop on moderate grades. This has been improving slightly now, but it still isn't close.

The radical pro remains a light boot, similar to the escape, but now the frame is on the outside of the boot (escapes simply looked like a boot, and everything else was covered. I prefer the aesthetic of the hidden frame, but I imagine k2 have their reasons for putting it on the outside. I see that none of their line are a "true" softboot" now.

Wheels seem to slip a bit more now on long pushes or fast corners. I assume this may be remedied my a different wheel.

No strap on the back to pull the boots on with the radicals - was this to save an 1/8th of an ounce? No idea. Its on the current lower end k2s, its on the older high end k2s, but not on this model. why?

The boot itself seems a lot less padded/litted to a foot shape, at least to my foot shape, than in the old escapes, but they still seem comfy enough. K2s once upon a time designed their boots to sort of clam around the back of your heel, keeping your foot frozen in boot once you are laced up. They removed this feature. I really don't know why.

In all, the radical pros feel like an upgrade, but in a lot of ways like a sidegrade too. Some of the things I love about k2 skates are gone from them, but their acceleration and speed is undeniable. They were a bit pricey, but with enough use I feel it will be a worthwhile purchase.
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #6
NWGlenn

I've only handled the Rad Pro prototype at K2's vendor table but I've tried to keep abreast of the info on them. Your issues regarding heel and ankle fit may be resolved by heat molding the boots; see K2's site for the instructions. This model was touted as being fully heat moldable including the cuff. The reasoning was that with a fully moldable boot a lot of the padding could be done away with. Here's a starter link:
http://www.k2skate.com/product/tech.asp?TechID=10
There used to be a set of instructions for heat molding on the site but I can't find them now. K2 revises its site every year to keep it 'trendy' as opposed to usable 'Hope this helps, keep us posted as I'm considering them myself.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #7
greenspeedguru
no brakes!

Red face the klop-not a flop!

I have a pair of the 2001 k2 escape klop inlines. they rock. no joking. i can't bring myself to buy any other skate. i'm a young gun, and i skate hard, fast, and in the midst of many people on the lakeshore path mostly in chitown. if you know the path, it is beat-up south of the chicago river toward the aqaruium.

i used to skate on ordinary inlines years back, prior to 2001, they don't compare to having the center hinge frame. i absorb bumbs and rocks with ease. over the years my klop has gone from very stiff to stiff, and the feel of the ground now is excellent. speedy sidewalk entries off streets are a cakewalk. i can also turn hard, when i am really cranking i can feel the klop slip a little, flex, similar to the flex of skis under your feet.

speaking of skiing, i also telemark ski. these inlines are awesome for training, i'll find downhills and break into telemark ski form. my rear leg, (right leg on a right turn) only has two wheels on the ground as the hinge flexes, and i'll slalom down.

how does it normally feel. the klop does flex a little with every leg stroke. as i push harder, (longer extensions) the klop hinges more and more.

the remark was made, dont quote me, "these skates would be faster in a timetrial". i'm glad to hear that because how many of us get to ride outdoors in groups or people where you can draft? i never get to, unless it is a road biker that just passed me. i ride like i am in a time trail everyday.

i think that people would be crazy about these skates if they could get your hands on them .. i've searched the internet high and low, and can only find one listing out of hong kong? that sells them. i doubt the listing.

who knows where all these skate went to. they are hopefully in somebody basement. flush them out and check out the ride.

this klop is nothing like an ordinary clap ice skate. i'll post pics. try to find a pair on ebay, they'll knock your socks off. of course the skates are not speed skates, but if your training, they are awesome. with some good ankle support still.

my skater profile, i'm 25 in good shape, started skating young, indoors on quad speed skates. that ended about 1996ish. i've basically been an outdoor skater since 2001, with not many trips to the local rinks. although i have had these skates indoors, where they did perform nicely, but i would say they're real forte is the cityscape.
greenspeedguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #8
Pepper Montana

Is there any way that you could post a video? I would really like to see how they work.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #9
greenspeedguru
no brakes!

Thumbs up

Pepper- I don't have any video of me doing tele turns on inlines, but I'll try to enlist a camerawoman, my gf, from the balcony, which is right outside a very nice downhill. I don't know if ill be able to come up w/ any close-ups.

I have pictures of my skates. Man, I must admit, I'm quite the camera man. No prior experience.

Man that is a great shot!

Here's another of the max flex I can get out of the hinge, probably.

Yes those are new wheels. Found the originals, circa 2001.

One more of my current stomping, and skating ground downtown chicago, south of the river, east of the mag mile.

Hell, here is one more of my skates, It's a good shot.

Some of you may notice the scrape on my boot, that was a douzie of a fall.
My leg healed in good time, they always do.
greenspeedguru is offline   Reply With Quote