S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old December 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM   #121
ds5160

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatfreak View Post
I understand that flashes can be somewhat bright and in certain cases a little blinding but correct me if I'm wrong but don't most of your rinks have strobe lights, beacons, scanners, projectors, etc. that are constantly flashing? Flashing lights are all part of the atmosphere!
I'm not looking directly into the strobe lights, beacons, and other items. The flashes are at eye level.
ds5160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 08:08 PM   #122
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatfreak View Post
I understand that flashes can be somewhat bright and in certain cases a little blinding but correct me if I'm wrong but don't most of your rinks have strobe lights, beacons, scanners, projectors, etc. that are constantly flashing? Flashing lights are all part of the atmosphere!
Lights at rinks are typically ceiling- or wall-mounted, though. Not directly in your eyes. There's a big difference there. Other than people who are there for the first time (espeically the really little ones), I've never seen anyone, young or old, look directly into the rinks' strobes.

I love the lights at the rink because they're done (at least somewhat) safely.

Hate the parents who feel the need to document every millimeter their kid rolls.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:15 PM   #123
beatfreak
Breaksk8 Team Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds5160 View Post
I'm not looking directly into the strobe lights, beacons, and other items. The flashes are at eye level.
This is true. I see both sides of it. I do photography and video at the rinks I go to so that may be why I'm defending one side a little more than the other.

I do feel you guys on what you're saying though.
Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:28 PM   #124
Mystic
SWM So Cal

How about no heat? Now that it's winter time I'm noticing more and more rinks don't have heat. I hate skating with a heavy coat on.

www.socalskatingreviews.com
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:09 PM   #125
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
How about no heat? Now that it's winter time I'm noticing more and more rinks don't have heat. I hate skating with a heavy coat on.
The main rink I go to keeps the heat down (though they do have it) because we skaters get too hot if the heat's up too high.

It was freezing when we got in there yesterday, but it only took a couple songs until we were at the consession stand in desperate need of a nice, cool drink.

NO heat would suck...but having it cranked up even to only 70 or so, skaters wouldn't be able to enjoy themselves because it would be too hot to skate. Most of the parents (who don't skate) complain about the temp. in the winter.

On the other hand, our rink doesn't have AC, just 2 fans. One industrial fan off the floor near the skate rental area, the other one leads outside and pulls in the cooler air which is located in the rink wall "on" the floor. During the summer it's hot as oven as soon as you walk in, so most of us park ourselves in front of the industrial fan for a song or two throughout the session.
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM   #126
Dennis Lauer

Yesterday I skated at a rink that I had not been in for approximately 2 months. In the past they had kept this rink very dark for nearly the entire session. I was happily surprised by the fact that the lights were kept on for the majority of the session. This made a very pleasant skating experience!

Dennis Lauer
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote