S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:50 PM   #1
skaterdog

Default Dog on the trail...What would you do?

During this nice weather on the local trails I've had a few close calls lately including a wicked wipeout on a wooden bridge two days ago.

Here is my scenario and question to the forum.

You are approaching a long leashed dog walker at the bottom of a hill. The dog appears to be under control and you have called out to alert the dog walker that you are passing. As you pass you see the dog dash in front of you stretching the leash across your path. You have a split second to decide what to do...Would you....

1) Try to bail out on the grassy side of the trail risking injury.

2) Try to jump over the leash

3) Aim directly for the dog walker and crash into him.

4) Wish you had ordered the Gator Leash/brake and prepare to fall.

Last edited by Kathie Fry; August 22nd, 2006 at 11:10 PM. Reason: expanded title
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:01 PM   #2
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

If I can see the problem way in the distance (20ft) I'll use the Gatorleash and brake. Up close and personal...I aim for the grass. Failing that I aim for the dog and either a) skirt around the dog on one foot or b) pick up the dog and bring the owner along for the ride. I've used the grass and I've used the glide on one leg. I've done the pickup thing to kids at the rink.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:20 PM   #3
speedysktr
President of Everything

jump the leash if I think I can make it, otherwise shoot from the hip, depends on the dog's size, owner's size etc. I've jumped a leash before, but that's not always an option. I roll into grass regularly to slow me down, but that's not always an option.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Jim White

I generally do #5, don't approach anything at high speed unless I'm confident there is minimal risk. If you've had several close calls recently, something isn't computing. We've had a similar discussion about trucks parked on trails. You either control your own destiny, or give that control to others, like dogs.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:25 PM   #5
Acidedge

When skating on shared pathways, you shouldn't be travelling at such a speed that you can't stop in time for such a eventuality. If the dog owner is wandering aimlessly across the cycle path and such thing occurs, then a powerslide between dog and owner, wrenching the lesh from the owner's grip would be my ploy, with a suitable warning about wandering aimlessly along cycle paths accompanying returning the lesh to the owner. Then skate off before you get the full torrent of abuse about reckless behaviour from the clueless induhvidual.

Oh, and learning to skate on grass might help, as a fallback plan.
Acidedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

I've accustomed myself to carrying a small pocket knife on the trails now, for whatever purpose may lend itself. I think about plunging it into the skull of an attacking dog in lieu of pepper spray, but that thought doesn't go over real well with wifey. Seeing the above situation in advance, I'd be inclined to open said knife, aim for leash and cut as I go. How she recovers her dog is entirely up to her, should said dog turn into the aforementioned "attack" dog, rule #1 applies. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #7
rmwaller

Default Consideration

My opinion is that a leash is useless if the owner of the pet doesn't remain alert for people like yourself, or other dogs, runners, etc. As with dog attacks and the like, I think the owner deserves a nice crunch in the ribs from a speedy skater. Seriously though, why hurt yourself? The owner is probably softer that the grass and/or asphalt.
rmwaller is offline   Reply With Quote