S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 25th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #161
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeDave View Post
I raised two daughters and never ever pushed. They naturally found their own interests and I still think that was best. As for the sweat & deodorant, I found my hot water bill dropped 80% after they left for University.....lol.
I normally *have* to push the 8 yr. old. Shy, quiet type...doesn't like trying new things much. In fact when she got the skates, she couldn't wait to go to the rink. We got in the door, she promptly sat down and started bawling her eyes out, jacket hood over her head, "You didn't tell me it was going to be like this!" (loud music, kids her age, some younger, going really fast, etc.) Then once she saw kids older than her falling down, she was fine...got right out there, started talking to them (which was no small feat in itself for her), and out of them all...she was the one who actually fell the least amount of times...then she was hooked. LOL

I have a friend who was like her when she was younger...and she's still like that. I don't "shove", but I guess "push" might still be too strong of a word...maybe it's more like...."nudge". I don't want her to be the "rebel teen", but I don't want her to be that little wallflower all her life, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeDave View Post
As for your 8 yr old jumping from the chair....I'd have to leave the room [couldn't watch]. I've never flinched at any extreme sport [I'm in control] but watching a toddler swaying too close to a sharp object sends shivers up my spine....go figure??
Sharp objects? I have to turn away when the kids go sideways on the swings! LOL But I can watch them take some risks. As long as I know they're relatively safe. Proper protection when needed, etc. Wouldn't let them out on dirtbikes without helmets, etc. They're "supposed" to be fearless right now...so now's the perfect time to try new things. For the first time in her 8 years...I've finally seen me in her, with the jumping off the chair thing (thankfully it's a low chair, too). I was extremely shy when I was younger, too...but I overcame it once i got into school. Once I hit grade school, I loved a challenge. Racing BMX around the neighborhood (no helmets back then), trying to get as high as possible on the trampoline, almost drowning trying to get from one end of the "bigger than olympic-sized" local pool underwater in one breath...if it was physical, my only thought was "Bring it on!"

Maybe it's just a gender thing. Being a girl, I wanted Hot Wheels for Christmases/Birthdays....I got sweaters and make-up. I wanted to do BMX...my mom always said "That's for boys!" so I snuck around riding my (male) friends' bikes. With baseball...I lost count of how many times coaches, as well as some of the players, told me "You can't do it, go play softball like a good little girl."

All in all...I guess....I just don't want my girls (especially the 8 yr. old) to be scared of trying for fear of "failing". I want to instill in them that if they try something and like it, they can only go "up" with practice and patience....if they try and don't like something, then at least they've tried. I don't nudge as much with my son, but I guess...there (sometimes) is that difference between boys and girls...he'll climb the walls and hang onto the ledges of our front archway upside down. He's 11 so still at that fearless stage.

Maybe that's one of the reasons I was so anxious to get the kids (and myself back) into skating. I've never heard anyone say "That's a <insert gender> thing."

Sorry this was so long all...
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #162
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default He's 11 so still at that fearless stage.

Hi 7skaters

"He's 11 so still at that fearless stage.". Good to hear that common sense prevails....but it seldom does if one is truly fearless. Normally, people have more fear of peer pressure than bodily harm....lol. Your 8 yr old demonstrated that by her acceptance of falling down being OK...but only after others were doing it.

I only knew one person that I considered to be truly fearless. He also had no fear of consequences and died of a drug overdose. The lessons we experience as children follow us throughout our lives. Hopefully our parents exposed us to the right things and we will do the same for our offspring.

I often think how lucky we are to be brought up on a continent and in a time where exposure to atrocities are minimal. I can't imagine what it would be like to bring up a family in Iraq. Count ourselves lucky!

"I don't want her to be that little wallflower all her life, either." Given the choices of "wallflower" or "rebel teen", you know which you'll be aiming for. It is always peer pressure [fear of what others think] that gets us into trouble....but that is way better than actually being fearless. I always wanted to know my kids buddies not just meet them. Just glad I didn't need to make any embarassing judgement calls on who they were hanging with.

You keep your family and yourself well.

CrazeeDave
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #163
CitznMag

Introduce Yourself
Hi my name is Maggie. I am 41 years old. I was 15 the first time I tried to skate in our living room. Never got the hang of it. So now that I am going through some sort of change of life, I thought it was time to try all those things I've always been afraid to do but always wanted to. I've surprised myself with how quickly I am picking it up.

Why Do You Skate?
I have always liked the sensation of gliding.

Show Us a Picture of Yourself
Sorry, too shy.

Show Us a Picture of Your Skates
They're cheapie Chicago skates--not worth taking of picture of.

Show Us a Picture of Your Feet
You don't want to see my sad little flat feet.

Show Us a Picture of Your Underpants
Don't wear any--just kidding. Only my hubby sees those.

Show Us a Picture of Your Skating Injuries
Haven't got any yet.

Tell Us About Your Favorite Skating Trail
Only do rinks at this time. I'll let you know when I've graduated to outdoor trail skating.

Add Your Skating Events To Our Calendar
None.
CitznMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM   #164
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Not showing your undies? You're definitely not a BMXer.

My 8-year-old daughter is now going down ramps and stuff...small ones. It was at this age that my son started 2 years ago, and he is a FIEND....rolling in on the 18' roll-in to a 5.5' tall flybox. He is better than me in many ways in that he is becoming quite creative and exploring new tricks that he hasn't heard of. I think my daughter is going to be the same....which is very cool. Aggressive skating needs more girls, and I think Aubrey will gladly help fill the void with her little Salomon 60's.

As far as the danger is concerned...Hey, my sister shattered her ankle in the living room when we were kids, and was never able to walk straight again...and she shied away from bikes, skateboards, skates. Not a risk-taker. She should have done it having fun. I know that both my kids will incur serious injuries having fun....that's the way it should be.

In order to achieve victory, you have to live on the edge of defeat (in search of bobby fisher)....
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #165
7Skaters

Oh, thanks CitznMag....that reminds me, I have to get pics of my skates up sooner or later. LOL

I've got the "cheapie" Chicago's, too (as most know, I've got a family of 7 here, can't afford those top-of-the-line things for everyone)...but I just jazz them up a bit with speed wheels, light up wheels, different colors of laces and toe stops....whatever my skates look like when I hit the rink on Saturday's depends on my mood Friday night. LOL

Hmm....maybe we should start a "Show us Your Skating Stuff" thread (including all the parts and stuff we have)? LOL

I finally broke down and got the Flash Rollers - light up wheels for speed skating...the faster you go, the brighter they get...haven't used them at the rink yet (just got 'em Friday and couldn't make it to the rink on Saturday - son had a chess tournament) , but even with the lights on in the house...MAN do they glow when I'm rolling on the hardwood! LOL I can't imagine how much brighter they'll get when I can actually pick up some speed. Guess my son is getting his wish of "inheriting" my FireFly's a bit earlier than predicted.

CrazeeDave - yes, between "rebel child" and "wallflower", I know what I'm pushing for. But as for the hubby and I...tattoos and all...truly rebelling would mean them learning to play the piano or something. LOL We're definitely not fearless anymore...but we're not "normal" parents, either.

I still like a little risk now and then myself ("safe" risks - bungee jumping and the like)..but I'm too old to be jumping off the roof of my garage and trying to grab onto the bars of the jungle gym. LOL (and yes, I did actually do that in my younger years - didn't even hurt myself, not a scratch, but still wouldn't recommend it!!!!! LOL)
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #166
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default off the roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Skaters View Post
Oh, thanks CitznMag....that reminds me, I have to get pics of my skates up sooner or later. LOL

I've got the "cheapie" Chicago's, too (as most know, I've got a family of 7 here, can't afford those top-of-the-line things for everyone)...but I just jazz them up a bit with speed wheels, light up wheels, different colors of laces and toe stops....whatever my skates look like when I hit the rink on Saturday's depends on my mood Friday night. LOL

Hmm....maybe we should start a "Show us Your Skating Stuff" thread (including all the parts and stuff we have)? LOL

I finally broke down and got the Flash Rollers - light up wheels for speed skating...the faster you go, the brighter they get...haven't used them at the rink yet (just got 'em Friday and couldn't make it to the rink on Saturday - son had a chess tournament) , but even with the lights on in the house...MAN do they glow when I'm rolling on the hardwood! LOL I can't imagine how much brighter they'll get when I can actually pick up some speed. Guess my son is getting his wish of "inheriting" my FireFly's a bit earlier than predicted.

CrazeeDave - yes, between "rebel child" and "wallflower", I know what I'm pushing for. But as for the hubby and I...tattoos and all...truly rebelling would mean them learning to play the piano or something. LOL We're definitely not fearless anymore...but we're not "normal" parents, either.

I still like a little risk now and then myself ("safe" risks - bungee jumping and the like)..but I'm too old to be jumping off the roof of my garage and trying to grab onto the bars of the jungle gym. LOL (and yes, I did actually do that in my younger years - didn't even hurt myself, not a scratch, but still wouldn't recommend it!!!!! LOL)
Hi 7skaters

Off the roof huh? Boy that sounds real familiar...lol.
I broke my ankle performing that rootop routine...a 2 storey backflip off a house roof onto a trampoline...made it too except someone forgot to dig a deep hole under the mat. I landed a little off balance, my left leg couldn't hold my weight and I sat down on my left ankle. All would have been great except the mat bottomed out on the ground underneath...crunch! So much for joining the Flying Wallenda's Circus act.

It was only 2 days before that I was exiting the trampoline [3' above ground] with a flip and got double-bounced by a bud. The 1 forward became a 1.5+ and landed nose 1st in the lawn...dirt, grass, blood but still had all my teeth. Great crowd pleaser too!

Sounds like your lucky to be still alive and in 1 piece as well.
My Dad caught me on many occasions being an idiot kid....
At age 9, I was launching a cup across the yard...
[1] pour some gas in a 2 gal metal gas can for the mower
[2] shake vigourously
[3] place tupperware cup on spout
[4] drop match while covering the big hole with your foot
[5] KABOOOOM!
I got launched shortly after....there was no countdown....ouch!

Keep well
CrazeeDave
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #167
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

Does riding a dirtbike off a 10' cliff into the river count? When I was a kid, we went camping EVERY weekend. Kids got bored fishing, and one summer, there was a kid who had a small dirtbike (a 250). We had a rope tied to it and took turns doing tricks. About 10 kids or so, and we pulled the bike out of the water and wheeled it up a nearby boat launch. My parents didn't find out until after the summer was almost over.

.....My fishing skills improved a lot after that. Hmmmm.
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #168
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablemaker2 View Post
Does riding a dirtbike off a 10' cliff into the river count?
Yep, that counts! LOL Oh, the things we did when we were younger...then again, no seat belt laws, riding on our parents' laps as infants, no helmets/pads when biking, skating, etc....it's amazing any of us made it this far.

Even the simple stuff, looking back, was stupid. My parents had the traditional "family station wagon" and the back rows of seats would lay down for hauling stuff. My friend and I would put a blanket in there (plastic surface when the seats were down), and my mom would really hit the brakes hard at red lights....causing us to slide from the back up to the front. We thought it was awesome. I'd NEVER let my kids do that today!! LOL All those times we could easily have fallen into the front seat, or worse, gone through the windshield....:::shudders:::

My friends and I doing, what we called, "Couch Gymnastics". We had some old ratty couches in our basement, being into gymnastics, we discovered that one of them was the perfect height (at that time) for learning walkovers, so we'd get on our hands, backs against the couch, and kind of "flip over" the couch so we were sitting on it. Couches are NOT stable...there were several times when two or three of us would do it at the same time, going the other way, hands on seat, and flip over the back...3 people, shoving the couch back...we had the couch land on us several times, thankfully, again, no serious injuries.

And of course, practicing flips in the basement (low ceilings and all) with a cement floor covered only with thin "outdoor" carpeting. Good thing we never landed on our heads...did land on our backs a few times, knocking the wind out of ourselves...but, yet again, thankfully, nothing more than that. Thinking now of all the spinal injuries that could have sustained then...

What the heck were we thinking??? LOL
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #169
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Cool stupid kids

ha..ha..ha

That's great guys!
There should probably be a new thread in the aggressive forum for stupid tricks we survived....lol. I'm sure we aren't the only ones.
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #170
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Made my own batch of homemade gunpowder at age 10. Luckily my older cousin found out, while only 1 neighbor's garbage can was almost vaporized. Back then all the ingredients were easily obtainable over the counter.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #171
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-Sheldon View Post
Made my own batch of homemade gunpowder at age 10. Luckily my older cousin found out, while only 1 neighbor's garbage can was almost vaporized. Back then all the ingredients were easily obtainable over the counter.
Let me see..... saltpeter [how much pork is your Dad curing kid?], sulfer we picked up off the railroad tracks and charcoal [where did the BBQ briquettes go Martha?]. I won't detail the enclosures or methods of ingniting tested.

We also discovered that powdered clorine [pool additive], sulfer and zinc powder went kaboom without even lighting it....stir very carefully and leave in the sun. Magnificent yellow/green clorine gas cloud, blue burning balls of sulfer and a pink flame ....every kid for blocks had sulfer burn holes in their clothes.

In high school we had advanced to egg cannons. I won't explain the workings as the kiddies may get ideas. You wouldn't want to aim this at anyone as the result was an egg travelling fast enough to rip the bark off a tree!

Damn stupid kids!!!!!!
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #172
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

yeah, don't get me started on railroad tracks, but I have a large (and very flat) coin collection, among other activities that was in back then.
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #173
Greenetuckian

Since I popped back in I figured I should introduce myself to the new one's and even a few of the old one's who have forgotten me. I am a scrawny, 41 y.o. male from Linton, IN. Linton is about 100 miles southwest of Indianapolis and is kind of in the center of a triangle formed by Terre Haute, Bloomington and Vincennes. I first joined the old askaboutskating forum back in about March of 2006 before it crashed. I call myself "Greenetuckian" because I live in Greene County and the county kind of resembles the stereotype of Appalachian eastern Kentucky without the mountain views

I dropped out of sight after Aug. 2006 as the new job was taking up so much of my time and then winter really put a damper on my skating. Now the weather's warming, I have settled into the job and I am back out there hitting the streets on my RBs.

I started skating like most kids, pretty young, perhaps 5 or 6 on quads at local rinks with my parents but quit while in my teens. These days I skate for fun and fitness mostly on city streets and I am not much of a speed skater and would feel lucky just to finish a marathon. I skate with my 17 y.o. son Kegan, my 6 y.o. stepdaughter Ashley and live in 28 y.o. S.O, Sheri. We are about the only street skaters in Linton except for the occasional child you see on cheap, plastic inlines from Wally World.
Greenetuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #174
8WMadness
Shake-n-Bake!!

Welcome back greene! I'm a street/fitness/rec skater myself in the process of getting the whole fam into it once the weather warms up. VA Beach VA here.
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #175
Greenetuckian

Thanks 8WMadness, Kegan got to skate the boardwalk in VB and loved the place (he's been there twice). I have only been there once and spent most of my time on a boogie board, I had not started inlines at that time Good luck with the family skates, just make sure you don't buy them skates at Wally World
Greenetuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #176
dwp171

YO!

My name is David and I'm from Charlottesville, VA in the USA. I love inline skating and have a personal goal to one day be talented enough to skate anywhere where there are paved roads.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
dwp171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #177
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp171 View Post
YO!

My name is David and I'm from Charlottesville, VA in the USA. I love inline skating and have a personal goal to one day be talented enough to skate anywhere where there are paved roads.

welcome to the boards and enjoy them.
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #178
brikkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp171 View Post
YO!

in-line skater blah wrong forums j/k welcome
brikkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #179
grinningfool
Senior Moment

Hello from Maine. My name's Joe, I'm 50, and I took up quad skating a year ago after a 25 year hiatus. I skate once a week at an adults only night at the local rink.
grinningfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #180
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Well, been here for some time and had yet to do this one so here goes:

I used to skate. I have many friends that are musicians and skaters. The other issue of why I am here is to catch up on the new and improve versions of skating and equipment.

I am currently looking toward having my little one try the skating world...later on. I also needed to get information for others that are interested possibly with skating. Most are parents that work a lot and haven't the time to come here.

I think I may put my cobweb covered skates on one day...

I am a Native Californian, I love tennis and walking and cooking, music and films. I have many friends from all over the world and love to travel as well. I am so thrilled to find such nice replies to many questions so far that I have posted.

I thank you all~