S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old September 17th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #1
jcardin

Default Check out my Coyote Rollerblades Mod

So, yeah...still messing around with off road skates. Currently modding my Coyotes to incorporate larger 200mm air wheels. I have them halfway there, but the front wheels upgrade is going to be much more challenging as there is less room to work with around the frame.

I have another pair I should get in a week or so with much smaller original boots that I should just barely be able to squeeze in and which I will use on these modded frames. My current pair I am working with are actually a couple sizes too big, so the toe on the smaller pair will not extend beyond the top of the frame (unlike these).

See pic:

jcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #2
WJCIV

I assume the middle wheel is just there as a spacer to support the structure of the frame? It doesn't look like it touches the ground. If that's the case you could just leave in two bearings and a spacer to get the spacing right, but save a little bit of weight. Leaving it in certainly isn't bad.

The one potential problem I see is the pitch. The back wheel is bigger than the front, so the boot is angled. This is going to put your weight forward. When you hit an obstacle it makes it more likely that you will fall forward, which is traditionally bad news for wrists and collarbones.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #3
jcardin

It's true that the middle wheel I currently have in place serves little purpose. There's really no chance the underside should scrape anything without a wheel, but I figured to put something there if only to add more rigidness to the frame between the two big wheels, but less weight is always better.

The forward pitch should currently be relatively minor (I'm hoping) but I agree it would be much more preferable to have the big wheels in the front rather than the back, if anything.

This is why they are really just half finished, but still functioning somewhat as is. I will try them out in their current state a little later today. I'm sure I will have to lean back as much as possible, which I tend to do anyway regardless of any mods.

I'm thinking even with a shorter boot, I will still need an extra "riser" piece to go between the frame and boot on the front at least. This is for when I attempt to add the front wheels "upgrade".
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Man, I gotta go down where your at and see this mania you plan to use them for. I got a pair of these things, and they are so damn heavy, and consume energy at a ridiculous rate even when your very fit. I can't imagine anything other than downhills, or some kind of assists on flats as push/pull goes. Might as well be land skiing; ) wheres a car with a tow rope

Ugh, even thinking about the energy used on smooth pavement. Thats why my tires are all brand new looking.
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #5
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardin View Post
The forward pitch should currently be relatively minor (I'm hoping) but I agree it would be much more preferable to have the big wheels in the front rather than the back, if anything.
<snip>
I'm thinking even with a shorter boot, I will still need an extra "riser" piece to go between the frame and boot on the front at least. This is for when I attempt to add the front wheels "upgrade".
I don't know if forcing you to lean back would be all that preferable. At least when pitching forward you can bend your knees and get your weight back. The riser/shim makes a lot of sense. You should also add a wedge at the back mounting point to make sure that it has a contact surface rather than just a point.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #6
jcardin

Default @Mort and other 3-wheeler off road skate owners

Mort, I would suggest trying something similar with your Coyotes, not the wheel upgrade mind you, but having something other than the tire wheel in the middle frame position (either no wheel, a smaller non-contacting wheel, or a same diameter PU wheel).

I think you will find that with only 4 tire wheels causing friction instead of 6 the going gets much improved and the skates become much more responsive and quicker overall.

I really don't think those middle wheels are necessary at all, especially if your not doing anything too extreme with the skates.
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardin View Post
Mort, I would suggest trying something similar with your Coyotes, not the wheel upgrade mind you, but having something other than the tire wheel in the middle frame position (either no wheel, a smaller non-contacting wheel, or a same diameter PU wheel).

I think you will find that with only 4 tire wheels causing friction instead of 6 the going gets much improved and the skates become much more responsive and quicker overall.

I really don't think those middle wheels are necessary at all, especially if your not doing anything too extreme with the skates.
I cannot think of any time the coyote skates would be better than what I can do with either my quads or inlines. The surface would have to be so unskateable its ridiculous. Maybe if there was nothing but rough brick streets. The coyotes are so heavy and encumbering, foot speed for recovery is almost impossible if your in a fall situation.

Gotta take me with a grain of salt tho. I have a lot of skate experience so making due with situations and equipment shortcomings is something im accustomed to. So if my smaller wheels cannot roll over some terrains, i can still step at a high rate of speed and not worry about the heavy skate on my foot.

Im curious on what areas you plan to skate with them that would really need such a setup.

I can only think of downhill skating as being fun in them.
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #8
jcardin

Mort, just curious, but did you also try taking the brake stuff off on your Coyotes? That was the first thing I did, which I have also heard many other owners have done. It helps with weight a bit for the one skate, and allows you to lean back more proper when going downhill.

I mainly use them in park areas where we have lots of grassy hills. There's like 3-4 disc golf courses within these various parks with lots of varied terrain. I just have to watch out for flying discs mainly

I agree it doesn't make much sense to use them on the street, unless you want a really good workout.
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #9
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Nah mine still have the brake on them, it doesn't get in my way. I stagger my feet for/aft my center mass so the brake equiped foot goes in the back. Which keeps the brake from engaging, also theres an adjustment on it that I used to set the brakes engagement point.

I dont lean back really, unless im doing something that a weight shift to the rear is part of the move at hand. I typically use my ankles to create the effect of leaning back by lifting my toes.

The guy thqt used a motorized pushing device while wearing his coyotes has it right. Lol have you seen that video?
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #10
jcardin

Yeah, he's not breaking much of a sweat I can't imagine.
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #11
jcardin

Default One skate basically finished SEE PIC>>>

I now have one skate pretty much done. There are a couple of things that I still need to address:

1) I need a slightly shorter front bolt as I am having to use several washers on the inside of the boot which is not good (I can feel the inside bottom bolt pushing upward). The bolt would slightly rub the front wheel if not for the washers, so it needs to be shorter.

2) The original front bolt plate on the underside that secures the bolt to the frame also needs a bit more clearance to make sure it does not contact the wheel. It barely doesn't right now, but a couple of MMs more separation is ideal. I plan to simply grind/shave down one side of the plate a hair to resolve this.

The boots could be another size larger so my feet aren't so cramped, but I think they will work. Perhaps unfortunately, these are "Demo" versions of the skates, which I didn't know before buying off Craigslist and having them shipped. There are some slight differences but it shouldn't really matter as I am only using the boots from this Demo pair (not the frame or wheels), although it's really just the boots that have notable differences.

Anyhow, once I resolve those couple of minor issues, I should then have the other skate done in a week or less.

Old September 25th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #12
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Discretely increases height.
Old October 1st, 2015, 02:59 PM   #13
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Man, pop a grind block in between those wheels for some good old handrail grinding action!!!!!!

(off to search the webs for my own pair!)
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #14
jcardin

Default Sample Clips

Here are a couple of YouTube clips with the modded skates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8lFhHNZAbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDLteLcWZRY

I ended up using the larger boots (more comfortable and more shin supportive) after all and simply drilled another front hole in the boot about an inch back from the original hole.

Lastly, I will try to replace the front wood risers with some aluminum blocks of the same size I ordered online assuming I have no problem drilling some bolt holes in them.