S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #1
steffie
Doxy Crux

Default Roller Derby Coach Needed in Tacoma Washington

We are in desperate need of a coach.

Must be a skater, and preferably have derby experience...although I know sometimes that is hard to come by.

We are the Femme Fianna of the Dockyard Derby Dames in Tacoma, WA. The league is new (about a year old), and we just had our first bout last weekend with over 1200 people in attendance.

Flat track, basically one bout a month...practice at least 3X a week...5 times a week the week before a bout, etc...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you know anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia area...please send me a PM and I will pass on my number.

here is our myspace, and I am Doxy Crux
steffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #2
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

Have you talked with Rat City? They may know more locally available folks, although you might have to scrimmage for the info!

Congrats on 1200 in attendance. That is phenomenal! Wish I knew anyone to recommend. Let me know if you guys are interested in playing. Are you planning on joining WFTDA?
New Orleans, Louisiana
PowerSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #3
steffie
Doxy Crux

I think my captain has been in touch with them, and they are aware we are in need. Hopefully they will keep an eye out for us, as they have always been supportive and helpful in the past.

so, yeah...we are hoping to get WFTDA soon I'm sure we'd love to bout you guys!

where do you think I could go to advertise for coaching??

Oh, and thanks for changing the thread title, whoever did!
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #4
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

I would look into local speed skating clubs to see if there is someone there who can train you on form and endurance. Even if they are an inliner, they can teach you a great deal of useful information, especially for jamming and overall skating skills.

As to the derby stuff, that's harder. Our league has never had any coaches. We are totally DIY. We brought in several folks from other, more established leagues to do boot camps. We also attended boot camps in Austin. Otherwise, we just learn as we go.

If you contact Ivanna at Sin City, she and Trish the dish are very good about helping out with boot camps. Caroline girls are also good about this.

Essentially, you may have to do without a "coach" who knows flat track derby. But don't be dissheartened. Post your questions here and read as much as you can on other web sites. This is something you can do even without a coach.

Also, try to send as many people as you can to RollerCon. They have TONS of scrimamges and clinics where you will learn so much. The more you can play more experienced teams, the more you will learn and the better you will get.

Keep on Rat City. The squeeky wheel gets the grease!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #5
steffie
Doxy Crux

I actually had thought of going to the local speed skating team..I see them frequently at the local rink, and would feel comfy approaching them.

The thing about DIY is...all the other teams on our league have coaches, and at our first bout our team lost by 30. We are better than that. WAY better. I think we just had no one to guide us and look at our shortcomings from the outside...ya know?

I don't know what I need to improve on, or what I am good at...someone with knowledge has to see me and take note. All the other girls on my team...we all try to do that, but we are all also trying to focus on ourselves.

Yes, we will be at RollerCon.

I like the idea of clinics. I had not thought of this, and I will look into that right away! Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #6
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffie View Post
at our first bout our team lost by 30. We are better than that.
Losing my 30 is actually VERY GOOD, especially for a first bout. Our first travel bout I think we lost by 100 or so. In Philly, we recently lost by over 100. It just depends upon how experienced your competition is.

There is a seriously hard learning curve in this sport. It's the only one where you play offense and defense at the same time.

Another option is to watch as much bout footage as you can. Many leagues sell their DVD's or will do a bout footage swap with you. This can be an invaluable resource to see how teams have developed over time. The Austin ladies are very good about sharing old film and even plays they have used. Minnesota will share bout film, and so will Gotham Girls.

Also check on you tube. There is a lot there, even if only in small chunks. Watch and see how much you will learn.
New Orleans, Louisiana