S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 20th, 2019, 07:25 PM   #1
cjj

Default I'm 59

I roller skated all the time when I was 17-20, and recently discovered that quad skates are back big time. I got the skating itch, bought protective gear and new skates and now want to venture to outdoor roller skating. Do y'all think a major injury is too risky? I'm thinking more back and tailbone.
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 11:43 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj View Post
I roller skated all the time when I was 17-20, and recently discovered that quad skates are back big time. I got the skating itch, bought protective gear and new skates and now want to venture to outdoor roller skating. Do y'all think a major injury is too risky? I'm thinking more back and tailbone.
Not many places where I am to skate outdoors but love indoor skating. Big but lightweight wheels for outdoors will help. But big will also limit one of two things, turning ability and what kind of plate to use for good wheel clearance.

Definitely wear wrist guards. Seen plenty of broken wrists.
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:23 AM   #3
rwsz

tail and back is possible, don't lean backwards less likely and u can always wear football type pads for tailbone. use softer outdoor wheels also
Old September 21st, 2019, 03:41 PM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
tail and back is possible, don't lean backwards less likely and u can always wear football type pads for tailbone. use softer outdoor wheels also
Most of the times I have seen people break their wrists is when they fall backwards and try to slow the fall with their hands behind them, then "snap", it's done.
Old September 21st, 2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Skatervideoguy

Hi cjj,

In reading your other post, I hope I'm correct in believing your Female.
If so, then at your age your bone structure is less strong than when you were 17 to 20. Also your reaction times, agility, and over-all strength are a bit less than back then. You don't indicate your size, but the smaller you are - perhaps the less damage you might get from a fall. The larger you are, the more damage you're likely to get.

Sooo, I suggest that you definitely wear the best Helmet, Wrist Protectors, Elbo Portectors, Knee Protectors and the Football type Hip & Coccyx Padding you can find. You can get a Vest with Padding for your Back, if you're likely to be falling on your Back. If Skating outside, then get the Armored type of each of these Padding Systems. Better protection, skidding, and the Armor helps spread out the Fall forces over the Padding section. Asphalt and Concrete are totally unforgiving. You can get the same type of Protective Gear the the Roller Derby folks use, as it is all thicker and Armored.

Any Fall can damage you, but you can reduce or eliminate much of the damage by use of proper Protection systems. I've worn the Elbow, Knee, and Hip/Coccyx Protection for the last 40+ years, and that's the ONLY reason I'm still Skating at 73, in spite of all the Falls I've taken on Indoor Skate Floors. At 6'9" on Skates & 220 Lbs, Falling is the least thing I want to be doing at my age - but it still happens, even with all my experience.

I hope you get back to Skating Safely.

Harold
Old September 21st, 2019, 07:18 PM   #6
zebra1922

I'm (only) 45 and much prefer indoor skating. Road and pavement (sidewalk!) surfaces around here are so bumpy and uneven it's really difficult to skate, never mind it hurts more falling.

I'm gonna stick with the rinks for a while (still manage to hurt myself there.....)
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2019, 11:39 AM   #7
Rod

59 is the new 39. Start slowly, find some smooth pavement, hopefully some paved paths in your area (no cars).

Some pads and a helmet and you are good to go. Have fun!
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 03:48 AM   #8
PRFunky

I can't believe nobody mentioned bubble wrap in the list of recommended
safety equipment ~ sheesh!
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 12:05 AM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Wear a football girdle under your shorts/pants. 59. Wide possibilities of fitness there. Are you normally active? Depending on how much you skate, you might want to augment you activities with walking, hiking, stationary bike, yoga, etc. Just to ensure your body is reasonably tough and conditioned to take the eventual fall.

Come to think of it, I believe there is a more intensely padded short meant for bowl riding. Lots of tailbone protection.
Old October 5th, 2019, 12:19 AM   #10
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjj View Post
Too risky? No one can answer this question but you. Age has less to do with it then does health and skills. So many factors! I am 61, I rink skate fast, drop into bowls and otherwise crazy stuff. Skating 4 years, never been hurt, it's a game of chance. I can tell you if you're over 50 and don't work out you are at a greater risk. Muscles hold things together and get you out of trouble. For some the risk is extremely high. Can you afford to be out of work for 6 weeks if you get hurt? Who will take care of you, go to the store for you, take you to the doc? You need money, family, or lots of good friends.

Almost everyone I know has broken something, expect it. That's being realistic. Although it may never happen, it's almost 100% over time unless you quit. Sooner or later you are going down hard!
Old October 8th, 2019, 11:20 AM   #11
Waywardwheels

I would go to a local rink and get comfortable again on skates to begin with. Make sure you are confident in your ability to stop well, before you head outdoors.
Daytimes during school hours should be nice and quiet. I love the smoothness of a good rink. It doesn't take much to trip you up outside, especially on quads. If you don't have a local rink then maybe find a nearby sports court to test your moves out in first. Good luck and I hope you enjoy learning to skate again. It really is one of the best feelings
Waywardwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 10:00 PM   #12
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywardwheels View Post
I would go to a local rink and get comfortable again on skates to begin with. Make sure you are confident in your ability to stop well, before you head outdoors.
Daytimes during school hours should be nice and quiet. I love the smoothness of a good rink. It doesn't take much to trip you up outside, especially on quads. If you don't have a local rink then maybe find a nearby sports court to test your moves out in first. Good luck and I hope you enjoy learning to skate again. It really is one of the best feelings
Agree. Probably close to twice as hard outside. The jolts you get will be harder and you'll have to dip deeper to compensate. Stronger knees for more frequent and deeper dips and good balance and general technique are needed outside.