S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old November 21st, 2017, 02:36 AM   #1
Kalyori

Default Buying inline skates advice wanted

Hi all,

I'm new here. I used to inline skate when I was younger and I'm in my mid 20's now looking to get back into it. I'm located in Australia and unfortunately most if not all of the skate shops near me don't stock much at all.

I've been doing some research and I'm interested in the Seba / Powerslide brands thus far. Looking at 3-wheel skates such as the Seba FR1/Trix 2/High Point 125mm, or the Powerslide Imperial Megacruiser Pro 125mm.

I'd be skating primarily on a bike track and along pavement. And I want to go be able to go fast as well.

I was considering the Seba FR Deluxe 90mm (4-wheel) skate but after watching a few videos of the 3-wheel skates I think they look great.

I'm thinking I'll need to order online, and I'm somewhat worried about getting the sizing right as no one has these in-stock.

Would appreciate any input, suggestions, advice or recommendations for other brands, etc.

Cheers
Kalyori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Hi, welcome. What kind of sizing charts do you guys use?

For example in the US we use shoe size 1-16 ect. Men and women have different sizes to add to the confusion. Do you guys use numbers like Europe? 36, 39, 40? I had a really hard time with SEBA's and sizing (took 3 different skates to get it right).

People say Power Slides are more true to size. I bought my son Power Slides and had no sizing problems. I have several friends with the 3 Wheel Power Slides and they LOVE them.

I think I would recommend those, but I'd be interested to hear other opinions too. Good luck.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Kalyori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Hi, welcome. What kind of sizing charts do you guys use?

For example in the US we use shoe size 1-16 ect. Men and women have different sizes to add to the confusion. Do you guys use numbers like Europe? 36, 39, 40? I had a really hard time with SEBA's and sizing (took 3 different skates to get it right).

People say Power Slides are more true to size. I bought my son Power Slides and had no sizing problems. I have several friends with the 3 Wheel Power Slides and they LOVE them.

I think I would recommend those, but I'd be interested to hear other opinions too. Good luck.
Thanks!

That's a good question.... ummm... I think we have shoe size 1-12. I tried on a pair of skates that was 9.5 and it was a pretty good fit.

Oh that's good to hear. I've contacted a local store and they can order the Megacruiser's in for me, and if it's not a perfect fit they'll exchange it for a different size so I'm not worried about that now which is nice.

I feel like the Megacruiser's are going to be great
Old November 22nd, 2017, 08:04 AM   #4
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Also, please take one more note from my book of misguided attempts.

When I got new skates I thought, yeah they feel good? It wasn't until I skated outside multiple times that I realized they were way TOO BIG.

Now I couldn't return them because I already ruined the wheels.

Skate inside on a clean floor before you make that final decision. Even if it's in your house. You'll save yourself a world of trouble.
Old November 23rd, 2017, 12:20 PM   #5
Kalyori

Quote:
Also, please take one more note from my book of misguided attempts.

When I got new skates I thought, yeah they feel good? It wasn't until I skated outside multiple times that I realized they were way TOO BIG.

Now I couldn't return them because I already ruined the wheels.

Skate inside on a clean floor before you make that final decision. Even if it's in your house. You'll save yourself a world of trouble.
Will do! Thanks.

I've ordered a 10 (44 euro) in the Powerslide Megacruiser Pro 125mm.
Express post to the store so they should have them in tomorrow.

I'll do as you say and try them out thoroughly whilst I'm there.

So excited
Old November 27th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Kalyori

I've got my skates now. I love them!
They were a perfect fit too, really comfortable.

I went for my first skate, at the end when I was going slow one of the wheels came off. I put the axle back in and tightened all of them up with the allen's key they give you.

Is that normal? It appears so from reading the instruction manual. If I tighten them after each ride, they shouldn't come off during the ride, right?
Old November 28th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

It shouldn't be a problem if you tighten it up pretty good. That happened to my son a few times.

You shouldn't have to check each time, but it couldn't hurt. You sound like your'e having fun. Congrats.
Old November 28th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #8
WJCIV

It is pretty rare for wheels to come loose if they are tightened properly. Most likely they just weren't tightened properly at the factory. Just realize that "properly" means snug and not as tight as you can get it. If you overtighten you will eventually ruin the axles and frames. There are torque wrenches available which will prevent this, or you can just figure it out on your own.

If it continues to be a problem just add a drop of Loc-tite to the threads.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #9
Kalyori

Quote:
It shouldn't be a problem if you tighten it up pretty good. That happened to my son a few times.

You shouldn't have to check each time, but it couldn't hurt. You sound like your'e having fun. Congrats.
Thanks a lot! Yep I definitely am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
It is pretty rare for wheels to come loose if they are tightened properly. Most likely they just weren't tightened properly at the factory. Just realize that "properly" means snug and not as tight as you can get it. If you overtighten you will eventually ruin the axles and frames. There are torque wrenches available which will prevent this, or you can just figure it out on your own.

If it continues to be a problem just add a drop of Loc-tite to the threads.
Thanks for that advice. I'll make sure not to tighten them too much, just until it's snug as you say.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 09:50 PM   #10
BladeWolf
Fastest furry on wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyori View Post
Hi all,

I'm new here. I used to inline skate when I was younger and I'm in my mid 20's now looking to get back into it. I'm located in Australia and unfortunately most if not all of the skate shops near me don't stock much at all.

I've been doing some research and I'm interested in the Seba / Powerslide brands thus far. Looking at 3-wheel skates such as the Seba FR1/Trix 2/High Point 125mm, or the Powerslide Imperial Megacruiser Pro 125mm.

I'd be skating primarily on a bike track and along pavement. And I want to go be able to go fast as well.

I was considering the Seba FR Deluxe 90mm (4-wheel) skate but after watching a few videos of the 3-wheel skates I think they look great.

I'm thinking I'll need to order online, and I'm somewhat worried about getting the sizing right as no one has these in-stock.

Would appreciate any input, suggestions, advice or recommendations for other brands, etc.

Cheers
I wouldn't go right for big wheels, but if you do, dont go above 110. My 110's carry alot of speed, 125's would just be very hard for you.
BladeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 09:51 AM   #11
Kalyori

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeWolf View Post
I wouldn't go right for big wheels, but if you do, dont go above 110. My 110's carry alot of speed, 125's would just be very hard for you.
Thanks for the input. I've bought them already, I've been skating twice so far and find them really good. I don't know I'd want to go down a steep hill yet though as I don't know how to break well hahahah.