S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old November 10th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #1
Kaykay

Default In-line skates for kids

I am looking for a mid-range pair of in-line skates for a 10 year old who wears a size 5 quad skate. He prefers in-line, but we will be doing a lot of rink skating, especially during winter. I can't talk him into quad skates. Is there an in-line skate that does well in the rink too? Or should I really push for 2 different types of skates?
Kaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 08:04 AM   #2
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Does he already have a pair of outside inline skates? If yes, then those are absolutely perfect. If no, then I'd HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend a pair of K2's
Go to Inline Warehouse...

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/K2_Ra...age-00301.html

I would say those are the perfect skate. You just can't go wrong. I raised three children on those. There's no comparing the comfort, quality and support...and THEY ARE ADJUSTABLE, SO THEY GROW WITH THE KIDS!!! Roller Blade Brand is great too.

Please take my advice. I've been on inlines practically my whole life, I would not steer you wrong.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #3
Kaykay

He has no skates of his own. He is currently using rink skates in a sz 5. What size should we be looking at?
Old November 12th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

I agree, quads would help to learn skating at that age, why not make a little concession, one week rent in lines and the next week roller skates, let him learn on his own that hes got more balance on roller skates, then, after he learns how to have fun on roller skates, he can use that balance to learn balance on inlines,
Err, if hes a size 5? Worth a good measurement with a Braddock device, and used at that age work well, a new size every year.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:40 AM   #5
Kaykay

Our rink only has quads. He got exposed to in-line at school last year and says he prefers them. I have ordered everybody else skates, but him. We tried to find skates for him today, and no such luck. Hazards of small town living. I will probably need to order, I just prefer ordering once. LOL
Old November 12th, 2017, 06:44 AM   #6
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I agree, quads would help to learn skating at that age, why not make a little concession, one week rent in lines and the next week roller skates, let him learn on his own that hes got more balance on roller skates, then, after he learns how to have fun on roller skates, he can use that balance to learn balance on inlines,
Err, if hes a size 5? Worth a good measurement with a Braddock device, and used at that age work well, a new size every year.
I would disagree with this. Most will find inlines (not speed skates) when tightened properly to be more stable then quads. Quads have the wheels under the foot, inlines front and rear wheels are in front of the toes and behind the heels making them more stable front to rear.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Hi again. We all have the problem of no stores with inlines. Sometimes in the summer you can find inlines at sports stores, but you'd think they would be easier to come by.

Now really, please trust me. I've been inline skating for 30 years, I feel like I have a wealth of knowledge in the world of recreational inline skating. The K2 skates come in adjustable sizes, all you have to do is flip a switch on the side and it's soooooooo easy. The link I sent, I'll send again. The k2's are exactly true to size. If your son is a size 5, then I would recommend you go with the adjustable size listed from 4-8. Trust me, please, I've watched and taught so many kids to inline skate... you just can't go wrong with these K2's.

Okay, here are several options... all adjustable. All perfect for the kid. Just click the links below.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/K2_Ra...age-00301.html

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/K2_Ra...age-00101.html

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/K2_Sk...age-00701.html

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/K2_Sk...age-00901.html

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/K2_Sk...page-5SXB.html

Recently I recommended these skates for some friends with kids. They didn't listen, now they have horrible skates and the kids are back on rentals!!! What a waste of money! It just hurts when you have the perfect solution but no one will listen. I've seen this exact thing happen over the years, kids renting when they have their own skates.

Also, on a side note, if you can learn and become efficient on inlines, it will be easier to learn quad skating and ice skating in the future. My son grew up on inlines and the first time he put on quad skates, he was amazing! I couldn't believe what I was seeing!!! Go with your son on this one. Let him spread his wings, be different from the rest of the flock and watch him fly!!!
Old November 12th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #8
WJCIV

Is the heel brake on the K2 detachable? If not, I would talk to your rink to see if they allow inlines with heel brakes. Many don't for good reasons. Cheaper skates have pads that leave crud behind when used. Also, many people don't replace the pads when they are work down, so you end up with plastic gouging the floor. It's easier to have a blanket ban than to have someone knowledgeable check every pair of skates that comes in.

That said, K2 has a good reputation. They seem to be a reasonable choice for rec skating as long as your son is actually allowed to wear them.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #9
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
I would disagree with this. Most will find inlines (not speed skates) when tightened properly to be more stable then quads. Quads have the wheels under the foot, inlines front and rear wheels are in front of the toes and behind the heels making them more stable front to rear.

Im only pointing out that a five year old might not have the balance required for an inline, vs a quad that takes no balance to stand on, Im not in any way dissing inlines. So, I agree, inlines are more stable front to rear, but quads are more stable side to side, and depending on balance and muscle control, at five years old?
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:26 PM   #10
Kaykay

He is 10, not 5. He wears a 5.

I will ask the rink about the in-lines to see what is allowed. Thanks for the tip! I would hate to buy them and then he not be allowed to use them. I am fine getting 2 pair if needed, just need to know so I can order rink skates first.
Old November 12th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #11
Kaykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Now really, please trust me. I've been inline skating for 30 years, I feel like I have a wealth of knowledge in the world of recreational inline skating.
Thank you! I do plan on going with your recommendation if they are allowed at our rink. I really just wanted to try a pair on before ordering, in any brand to check sizing! LOL I wasn't sure since he is on the cusp of childrens sizes vs adult.

We are going to the rink today, so hopefully I will be ordering him skates this evening.
Old November 13th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #12
Kaykay

And they are not allowed at our rink. He has agreed to quad skates for the rink and in-line for everything else.
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:39 AM   #13
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Oh my god I feel like this thread was just waiting for me!!!

Inline skates only come with ONE break on the back of the right foot. The left foot has no break.

The K2 skates come with a removable break! I took the break off my son's and both of my god daughters skates when they were 3 years old.

I've always felt and maintained that a heal break is a dangerous thing for anyone, and that no one, not even children should use them. I'm super opinionated on that, but I don't mean to be rude or sound mean.

At the rink, I've taken the break off MANY young skaters skates after discussing it with their parents and weighing out the pros and cons. I've had sooooo much success at creating confident, safe, incredible inline skaters. I've watched these kids grow up and become amazing.

Are inlines banned from the rink because of the break, or just some other personal reason?

When you take the break off it's like a badge of honor, they really feel SPECIAL and a new world opens to them. They don't need to be experienced either. In fact I believe it's better to start off with no break, because really, when you're an inline skater, the break is coming off sooner or later ANYWAY. Easier to learn the right way sooner.

The break will hinder them because they need to learn cross overs and ALMOST ALL OF THE TIME, the break will hit the front of the other boot. It will take away some of their natural inclination to balance on both the toe and the heel of the skate. I've seen multiple children have really bad falls due to the break. It will make many simple and fun tricks completely impossible. I maintain that the break was a design error to start with.

Children should first learn how to stop by dragging their dominant foot. So if he is right footed, then have him practice dragging his right foot. They don't need the break for outdoor skating either.

I really hope I've helped and don't sound like a total jerk.

Here's a little inspirational video. See, no break! Also, I just want to put a good word in for slalom inline skating. It will give you super powers!!! This is what I'm teaching the kids now that they're older and incredible. Good luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vE6...IJrfQq&index=2

Last edited by Oicusk82huh; November 13th, 2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: extra
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:43 AM   #14
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

I'm sorry, I tried to edit, but it didn't seem to work.

Are inlines banned from the rink because of the break, or for other personal reasons?
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:39 AM   #15
WJCIV

In my experience total inline bans are fairly rare, but they do exist. The rink in Anderson, IN has such a ban (or did 2 years ago). It originated with the brake, but they got tired of the arguments they had with all the people coming in ("That person is wearing inlines, I should be able to wear mine"). The coach of the speed team had to sit down with the rink owner to get special permission to wear inlines during speed team practices.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote